my preferable jets end-of-march mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Darth Vader, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

1. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama. 6'2", 260.
    Forget the measurements for now. Upshaw is a honed 3-4 point-of-attack OLB (extremely strong POA OLB) playing in the most athletically exclusive conference in college. Ideally, the Jets want an edge rusher here that can be plugged in to the defense from the get-go. Unfortunately, they are either gone by 16 (coples, ingram, etc) or not optimal value selections at 16 (mcclellin, etc). Upshaw doesn't really upgrade the pass rush from the edge. What he does is set the edge and make plays behind and along the LOS. IMO the Jets may be looking at Mercilus and Perry here as well. Both players are higher risk IMO insofar as they are conversion DEs, and while both have intriguing athletic abilities and size, there are risky downsides to them as well. The first round is not a place to gamble on conversion DEs after the Gholston debacle, and Upshaw does improve the run defense. Jets fans have gotten used to outstanding run defense over the past few years amd probably take for granted the specific skill set of a Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace - two big strong, players that set the edge and allow for plays to be made by the defense. But watch Upshaw for example vs LSU, on a Jefferson QB option, first force the pitch to the option, and then make the tackle on the RB at the LOS.... Now with Bryan Thomas coming off injury and aging, and with Pace underperforming and getting up there as well, Upshaw is a really solid pick. Jets "satisfice" here and hope that from the current roster, Maybin and Landry can provide speed and pressure on blitzes, and look for their killer edge rusher elsewhere and/or next year. Rex Ryan places a #1 premium on being able to stop the run. and Upshaw is probably a bigger "playmaker" than Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace both against the run (total joy watching this player take on blocks) and against the pass - Upshaw can rush the passer!... COMPLETE PLAYER... READY TO PLUG IN.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2NGJD_naF0&feature=related
    2. Mychal Kendricks, ILB, CAL. 5'11" 240
    4.47 40, 39.5 vert, 24 reps bench, PAC-12 Def Player of the year in passing league, exp OLB and ILB in 34.
    Rex Ryan said after self-scout last season that he needed to improve the speed and playmaking abaility of the team. All the moves this year are reducible that goal, and Kendricks will step in right away with playing time, if not start over Bart Scott from the get go. He's the 3 down LB we need and makes the middle of the field dangerous and fast. Mid-2nd round is not too high for Kendricks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA3_XaOOIiA
    3. Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati. 5'9.5" 200.
    4.4-47 40, senior bowl phenom. complete runner is all i will say, could shoot up boards. h/t matt bitonti, and i accept his logic. going heavy into ground and pound with LT retiring and just Greene, McKnight, and Powell at HB????? I dont think so. tebow helps but pead has a fluid and stutter type of speed that the lopey Mcknight does not have.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgLgTrAXvUg
    5.Tramain Thomas, FS, Arkansas, 6'0". 200 - no-combine-invite
    4.5 40 38.5 vert. Thomas can do it all - he is a complete safety. he can tackle, play centerfield, make plays in tight space at the sideline, reads and reacts well to developing plays, good make-up speed and a body frame for good short area quickness and adjustment in space. this player isnt ed reed but he is incredible value in the middle of rd 5 and IMO will be a solid NFL starter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprdODe3LTg
    5 comp. Lamar Holmes, OT, Southern Miss
    6. Justin Anderson, OT, Georgia.
    7 comp. Jerrell Harris, OLB, Alabama.
    7 comp. Don Barclay, OT, WVU.
    7 comp. Jerrell Young, FS, USF.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXwyKruCCXE

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

draft a wr or ol with the 3rd and this isnt bad.
    we have used too many draft picks on rb's recently

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Pretty good picks but are you saying we should go into the season with the same right side of the OL that we had last year or hoping one of those late picks will surprise?

4. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

I like Pead as a prospect, but just not on the Jets. I'd rather use that pick on a a WR or an (starting caliber) OL.

I do like the rest. I'd have to see how 2-15 unfolds for the Jets to draft Upshaw, but that's not to say I wouldn't want him. I've spent too many posts on the subject of Upshaw, some people just can't be convinced. Whether it be combine watchers or people demanding 15 sacks, Upshaw will never be the end solution for them.

I really like Kendricks, I'm not afraid of his height at all. I thought Greg Jones could have fit in a 34 as well, and Kendricks is a superior prospect in my eyes. Jerrell Harris would be a nice special teamer and inside depth. I do think he'd fit better as a 43 OLB, but not a significant drop. He's got the talent, just never got on the field fulltime until his Senior year. Accepting a laptop, struggling with the playbook, and struggles reading plays kinda had a hand in it.

5. jgangstahippie7:18

Feel like going O-Line in the first three rounds is a must.

6. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Really dont see us going RB at all. We have 3 under contract and Tebow. Nobody knows what Powell can do. He didnt have an offseason to learn much of anything. And was number 3. McNight isnt terrible and could get better. And there is Tebow. With a good o-line any RB (including Greene) will be productive.

WR in the 3rd like mentioned above please.