Tannenbaum on WFAN B&C after 9:00a.m.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Mar 22, 2012.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You might be right... however the real difference should come between Sparano and Schottenheimer in that Sparano will actually allow Tebow to throw out of the wildcat. Theoretically if Tebow threw as often as Brad Smith did when he was running it (almost never) then trading for Tebow was in fact a waste of a trade. The real threat of Tebow in the wildcat is throwing the ball thus forcing defenses not to stack the box.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No he didn't, that's why they never let Smith throw. tebow has experience passing in an NFL game not just in gimmick plays where recievers are wide open. Tebow is a better runner and as good of a passer.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

First of all, I don't see how this move gets made without Woody's approval. So that is the very least of Woody's involvement.

Then there's the part how the Jets seem to have misunderstood the situation with Tebow's contract. As low as my image of Tanny is, the more likely explanation for that is that he had a green light from Woody to get this deal done ASAP, and work out the details later.

Plus it totally looks like a publicity rather than sound football move. In that dynamic, again as low as my estimation of Tanny is, he is merely the flunkie here for Woody. That is a Woody type move to be certain.

Woody after all knows less about football than most people who post here. He primarily bought the team to pursue the West Side Stadium deal, helping his buddy Bloomberg get the Olympics in NYC, and then having all his buddies take their limos downtown to the Jet games.

It will take time, but eventually Woody will sell this team. Sooner than later, I hope.

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

People who keep saying we gave up potential picks to fill holes, needs to open their eyes. You do realize, Tebow will out-run both our previous years 4th round picks by a LARGE margin come this season?

2011 - Bilal Powell
    2010 - Joe McKnight

We lost nothing with this trade, and gained everything. We will win with Tebow, and all you nay-sayers will be sorry come opening day. Mark my words

5. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Is Tebow a better option than Brad Smith for a spot on the roster right now?

6. xxedge72x

At half the salary of Brad Smith yes.

7. Big Blocker

Funny you mention Schotty here. I of course don't know how much this move reflects Sparano, but I would be pretty sure Schotty would have been opposed to bringing in Tebow. Tebow is far from the kind of player Schotty would want.

Ironic that all the Sanchez fans hated Schotty so much. Soon they will be remembering the Schotty days with nostalgia.

8. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Everybody, read that.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

No he isn't. Tebow passing ability is one of an average High School passer. He's terrible. Smith has shown the ability to throw the football. Schottenheimer didn't call many pass plays out of that formation so Smith could not show off his ability too often, but make no mistake about it, Smith is twice the thrower than Tebow is.

10. xxedge72x

Disagreed. My hate for Schottenheimer stems back to the Mangini era. I have felt that the offense has underperformed vs the talent it had available to it every year since Schottenheimer has had the controls. I disliked him before I knew who Mark Sanchez was (I don't follow college football).

You're right that Tebow is not the type of player Schotty would want. Schotty prefers guys like Matt Mulligan who only get on the field for specific types of plays basically revealing to the opposing defense whats coming. Schottenheimer prefers pre-snap motions so complicated that Brett Favre commented that he doesn't have the time to read opposing defenses.

The Brian Schottenheimer offense was an underachieving offense. No player lived up to their full potential under him. Six years was enough time for Schottenheimer to get things where he wanted them. He failed.

11. Big Blocker

I predict with a great deal of confidence that the Sanchez Fans will soon be longing for a return to those halcyon days when Brian Schottenheimer was the Jet OC.

12. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Smith really only ran out of the WC I'll never forget that 50 yd run against Cincy during Thanksgiving. The rare times he threw it was beautiful. How about Kerley a Smith replica. I still remember that spiral he threw to Mulligan. This was a $$ move not a W move.

13. xxedge72x

I think for someone as independently minded as yourself to so lazily lump all those who bash Schottenheimer and defend Sanchez into one classification is surprising and a bit dishonest.

I believe that even the worst Sanchez hater could see on some level the effect that Schottenheimer had on his development.

Also, if Schottenheimer was that great at developing Quarterbacks then San Diego never would've given up on Drew Brees. I know that doesn't count for much as far as his play calling is concerned but a pretty clear track record is emerging when it comes to Schottenheimer getting to coach highly talented quarterbacks.

14. Big Blocker

I was talking about the Sanchez Fans. I did not lump everyone together, only them.

Your Drew Brees argument is lame and has been fully vetted before. Today is not the day to revisit it, but in terms of more recent history, Jeff Fisher is one of the better HC"s in the game and he chose Schotty to be his OC.

The Rams are a team that is rebuilding, and I can't say how well they will do this coming season. But I like where they are right now a lot more than the Jets.

15. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

oh I get it alright....I get that his cap hit is minimal, and I'm aware that the draft is no guarantee.......and a 4th rounder no less? good research can yield a 7th rounder with as much impact.

This is not nearly the disaster a lot of you are making it out to be.

16. xxedge72x

The Drew Brees argument is valid. Lets say you got what you wanted and the Jets replaced Sanchez - Peyton Manning aside since Schottenheimer wouldn't actually do anything with him - lets say the Jets were able to land someone like Andrew Luck... would you actually trust Schottenheimer to successfully bring him along? I think the only chance Schottenheimer would have is with someone who is so good they transcend the position... Tom Brady as a rookie basically.

As for Jeff Fisher he also chose Gregg Williams to be his defensive coordinator. I'm not putting much stock into what he's doing.

You're more than entitled to like the Rams more than the Jets. We'll see how that plays out.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Smith could throw the ball the way you or I could but he couldn't throw in NFL games. There's a big difference btw being able to throw a ball and being able to throw in a game. tebow can't throw the ball well but he does have experience in games which Brad did not b/c they were afraid to let him throw.

That run was on an end around not in the WC.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Is there a link to this?

19. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Tebow has been reported to make in three years what Smith will make in four. So, reportedly, we are paying more for Tebow.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Smith could throw the ball just fine and throws it better than Tebow. That's very evident with the few times Smith had the opportunity. They didn't throw it with Smith because Schotty lacked creativity with the WC. It wasn't his type of offense