Cromartie Says He Will Play FS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by b.reyes16, Mar 19, 2012.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I don't feel like going to copy and paste the tweet, but I'll sum it up.

He said, "It looks like I'm playing FS because Kyle Wilson is becoming a good corner and I don't mind the move."

It was something like that. Discuss.....

2. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Idk, could work, I guess only time will tell if this is a viable option or not.

3. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

My first instinct is to tweet something like this to Cro:

If you switch to FS, do you promise to stop playing like a pussy and actually hit people?

Correctly disregarding my first instinct, my second instinct is to just say that I'd rather see us try out Kyle Wilson there in the first instance so that Cro doesn't convince me he's going to tackle until I watch him bitch out 10 minutes into week one.

Really I would rather see neither of these things happen and we just pick up whoever is the best of what's leftover in FA and draft the complementary roleplayer in the 2nd round along with maybe someone who is fairly likely to get injured like Leonhard to make a 3 headed go of it.

I feel like this is Cro in some ways admitting to himself and the world that Kyle is likely going to turn into a better 2nd corner option for the Jets in the long term. If not because of talent than certainly because of age, salary demands, and consistency. Cro is trying to find himself a really useful role on the Jets by saying something like this, and despite the fact that it isn't too realistic it is somehow a little admirable IMO.

4. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

I doubt it..indirect way of showing frustration at Smith in my opinion.

5. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Ughh just the thought of Smith being a starting safety again next season makes me sick to my fucking stomach...

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I love this idea

7. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I actually think Cro would be a decent safety. Wilson locks up #2 and we pick up a nickle in free agency or draft. Smith can teach cro how to hit and cro can teach smith how to cover.

8. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

You beat me too it.....

9. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

i like that idea actually......he naturally gives wr's space...then closes the gap..kinda natural for his play style

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

He's fast enough to close gaps but I'm not confident that he'll be able to tackle many of the best WRs in the league. This isn't flag football. I mean if Cro is the last man between a WR with the ball and the end zone I'm not confident that he'll be able to take them down by any means necessary.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wilson is no number two yet and his tweet certainly seemed like a joke. The entire thing consisted of "looks like I'm playing FS"..nothing more and it came after Nelson announced he is staying in Cincinnati.

#11 Don, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Maybe i'm missing something but i viewed his tweet about moving to safety as more of a disappointment in losing out on Nelson and the fact that there's really nobody else out there?

I really didn't see it as something that should be taken literally.

13. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

^^Wilson enters year 3 in the NFL. If he is not a #2 yet, than he is a bust. I believe he is ready.

14. All Star

All Star Active Member

This is a great idea...in Madden.

15. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Wilson has the talent to be a #1 CB. He wont be as long as Revis is here. You don't draft a guy that high unless he has the tools and he's had two yrs of playing with Revis and Cro. If he isn't ready this year to be #2, he never will be.

As for Cro. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/cro_caught_in_safety_trance_Bw2ftwewz7Phoc9Qz1jSkO

For those that think he is going to replace Smith, think again. Smith is a SS that plays the position like a LB. Cro, if he transitions, will be a pure FS. We haven't had a S with centerfielder ability since the pussy Kerry Rhodes.

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Doesn't a safety actually have to tackle people?

17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I don't know if I agree. He played really well last year as a nickel. I can certainly see him manning the #2 spot. He'd have his bad days, but I think he can hold his own out there.

18. Don

I just think if the Jets really felt that Wilson could be a number two they would have never given Cromartie the contract they did..they would have gotten somebody to fill in for a year..maybe two.

19. Don

Maybe he can play free safety.