Chaz Schillens (Update: Signed With Jets)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Mar 13, 2012.

1. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Yay we signed a person to take Logan Payne's spot!!!! Priorities are in line!

2. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Him and sanchez were great together. I don't know why the FO would be so stubborn when they have a chance to bring Braylon back on the cheap.

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

because braylon isnt healthy. he said so himself. Braylon likely won't sign anywhere until he is healthy and can workout. This will likely be after the draft, or right before it.

4. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Found this sweet scouting report on schillens. Looks like we got ourselves a steal!!!

5. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I just don't understand how anyone could see Braylon lose a full season to injuries/ineffectiveness, then assume that he'll come back and be the same guy in an offense that he's never played in before.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Braylon's never been injured in his career,if i'm not mistaken, so i'm betting on the fact that he can come back and help this team with the deep threat we've been missing.

7. DepressedJet

DepressedJet Banned

Sounds like we reacquired Justin McCareins

8. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Never heard of 'em...

9. duncc5

duncc5 Member

This Braylon worshiping is getting old fast. Sure, he played well for us... and was exceptional in certain big situations. But the bottom line is that he has really only had one great season (07), and his off-the-field demeanor is exactly what we're trying to avoid (you guys already forgetting he was bffs with Rhodes?).

He's a good run blocker, but it's not like we can't find that elsewhere. Anyone who thinks a 29 yr old Braylon is the answer to our WR dilemma is high on crack, angel dust, and probably some other stuff that I don't even know about

10. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

Somewhere, RaiderJoe is laughing at us.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Well asides from the fact that your argument is supported by a blanket insult against any who disagree with you, can you provide any other evidence to support your claim, or are you the latest incarnation of tgg.com fail?

12. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Well played :beer:

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Great signing. If we can figure out how to unload Holmes will be set at WR.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Judging from your posts in this thread, I believe you are new to football. Nothing wrong with that. Just making a note.

15. Phear

Phear New Member

Not sure if serious....

16. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

What is the love affair with Braylon Edwards? His advanced stats say he was good in a contract year. Now he's entering his age 30 season, coming off a year where he tried to rush back from an injury.

Beyond that, he's a terrible guy on a team that has an imbalance of terrible guys. I understand familiarity, but go get that from a class act like Cotchery, and try to find a long term solution with more upside and less issues than Braylon.

I like the Schilens signing, because right now, I can pretend he'll be healthy for more than two weeks, and that's nice. He reminds me of a McCareins size and speedwise, but he actually knows how to play the wide receiver position. Could end up doing what Laurent Robinson did last year.

-X-

17. RocklandJetsFan17

RocklandJetsFan17 New Member

Braylon>Cotchery

Not even close. Braylon was so clutch in '10. People want him back because he played well with the Jets. He didn't look too good before and after he was with the Jets, but while here he played well. Cotchery has a good attitude, but that wasn't what one us game after game that year. You also can't expect Sanchez to succeed by giving him new receivers each year. Last year, Plax failed to fill Braylon's shoes. Now there is a chance to get Braylon back for cheap. It's a no brainer IMO, if he's healthy.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Hope hes not laughing too hard after their trade for Carson Palmer, which happened WITHOUT crazy AL

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'll be interested to see what they have in mind for his role here. Is it to be the #2, #3 or #4?

20. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I'm confused because I thought I said he played well in a contract year. But this constitutes "not even close." OK then.

My point about Cotchery is connected to my desire to see the Jets draft a long term solution at the position. If you do that, I'd like the Jets to bring back Cotchery, who is a class act who works the slot very well and is very good at getting yards after the catch. You might recall Cotchery had the catch that saved the Jets season that year. Anyway, I think a young receiver group, which we'll have, would benefit from his leadership.

But you're right, Braylon was good with the Jets. He's not why we won "game after game." he had 1 100 yard game. He had 4 games where he had ONE catch. He was very good, but he wasn't elite, and that was two years and one knee injury ago. He also came here because he punched a member of Lebron's entourage. While he was here, he got a DWI. In the midst of free agency coming off an excellent year, he got in a fight in a crowded restaurant. Is that what this team needs now? They can't do any better? The Jets could tolerate a player like Braylon when they were winning steadily and the defense was in its prime. Right now this seems like a team on the brink of a mutiny. Do you want to bring back a guy you wisely didn't give long term money to? I'm not sure I do.

I know you can't expect Sanchez to succeed with new receivers each year. I completely agree. But the Jets will have Kerley and Santonio and Keller back next year, and Sanchez will have a full training camp to acclimate to anyone new. Recall Sanchez didn't have much of a problem throwing to new receivers when the Jets acquired Edwards. His "new receivers" problem happened when the Jets acquired two over the hill veterans and failed to protect him. I don't think it's as big a deal as people make it. But the Jets need a long term solution.

That's why I advocate drafting a long term solution, or perhaps, acquiring someone who isn't 30 with a ten cent head.

Will I be upset if the Jets bring back Braylon? No, I think he would improve the offense. But I think they can do better, and I think it's foolish to go about pretending he doesn't come with risks.

-X-