Straw grasp here - 2014 in mind.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

does anyone think WJ and his crew have bigger plans for NEXT offseason due to the location of the SB?

it may not be so far fetched to try and clean up the payroll and make no big splashes this offseason, have a solid draft, and go all in next offseason to literally bring it home.

anyone else play with this idea

2. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

seems kinda "tin foil hat" -ish.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Gotta feeling they are going to put all in if Rex and Tanny fail this year. Next year will be the make or break

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I honestly don't think anybody in the Jets brass sees anything beyond the next season. There is no long term plan for the franchise to have success. And even when it appears as though there might be, as in the 2006 draft with its 1st round linemen or the 2009 draft with its attempt at a franchise QB, that plan is actually a knee-jerk reaction to what went wrong the previous season and/or a weak plan for the current one.

Drafting D'Brick and Mangold in 2006 was inspired but then the Jets started cherry-picking players after that and let the depth go away over a period of years. Drafting Sanchez was also a plan but the Jets turned it into Super Bowl or Bust which was the worst possible thing to do with a young QB you wanted to develop.

Nothing that the Jets do at this point is first-class. It's all a reaction to what is swirling around them at the moment and so it does not help much beyond that time and often is counter-productive a couple of years down the road.

The Jets should have traded Revis for a King's Ransom in 2010 and built a great team. They can still do that this year but the window is closing as his free agency gets nearer and the Jets will be unable to afford him when that happens.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets cannot trade Revis this year because they'd be sunk by the pro-rated bonus accelerating into this years cap. It may be more viable next year but I haven't looked into that ...

I was hoping that was actually a viable option this year, but I checked into it and it's not.

6. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Is everyone basically under the assumption that Revis will be off this team in 2 years? Am I the only one sad by this?

7. Br4d

What has he won for this franchise by his presence on the roster?

They lost to the Colts in 2009 with Manning destroying the Jets secondary in the second half and they lost to the Steelers in 2010 with the running game destroying them in the first half.

That's the definition of the value of a great cornerback: he gets to watch as his teammates either prove good enough to rise to the challenges that face them at the end of the year or not.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This logic that Revis is useless is beyond me. Taking out guys like Megatron and Reggie Wayne make it worth it.

If we could only put pressure on the QB, our secondary would look a lot better than it currently is.

9. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

That will be missed if those predictions come true

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If we we didn't have so much money tied up in corners we could have signed a beast like Mario Williams who would make the entire secondary better.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah thats the problem. Look at the Giants. They dont have top cornors or safeties but the front 4 makes them look great.

12. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I agree with the fact that we have a bit too much tied up in corners....but seriously Mario Williams is a top flight talent, and I seem to recall them having the worst passing defense in the league 2 years ago. I just think were over blowing the value of a "top pass rusher"....If Rex can mix things up a lil bit and hopefully get Maybin to bulk up a lil this offseason I think we will be more than fine.

13. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I agree with you as far as what he can do on the field, but to me Revis' value goes far beyond that.

I think Revis has an absolutely rare and valuable gift that I would say only other two people in the NFL have (Ray Lewis and Peyton Manning), which is the ability to study film the way nobody else can.

Revis is as good as he is not only because he's athletically gifted, but because he can pick up on receiver ques at the line - those subtle quirks that most guys don't see - and use them to anticipate what they are going to do before they do it.

That ability to teach that to ANYONE on a defense, regardless of raw talent, is something you can't totally measure in stats.

Despite the fact that his agent is a cock, the guy is a leader in the most pure sense of the word, and we need people like that on this football team. He needs to remain a Jet to make this team a force for a decade.

14. Br4d

Revis is not useless. He's just not worth $11.5 million on the cap in the absence of really strong players around him. $11.5 million is going to look really cheap though when his next contract negotiation comes up.

It's about context. The Steelers had a better pass defense than the Jets last season with Ike Taylor and William Gay at CB. They also had a better rush defense than the Jets. That's because the way the Steelers choose to defend the pass, with lots of value tied up in their linebackers and strong safety makes the run defense also much better.

The idea that pressure is the only variable the Jets are lacking is false. The Steelers and the Jets both had 35 sacks last season. The idea that it is turnover based is false. The Jets actually forced more turnovers than the Steelers last season.

The reason the Steelers were the better defense on the year is that they had more value in the middle of the field and close to the line of scrimmage than the Jets did, and the comparison was not even close.

15. RocklandJetsFan17

RocklandJetsFan17 New Member

Never heard this

Teams definitely try extra hard when they are hosting the SB. You may be on to something. Although I think more than that, they think they have a good team in place and don't have much $ to spend.