Message to the Jets brass - make this draft count

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Feb 29, 2012.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As a proud member of TGG I took the liberty to jot down a few expectations for the Jets leadership.*
    All of us here are looking ahead to 2012 with strong expectations for a healthier, better team. the questions is how will this be done? The method will speak volume about the long term future of the Jets
    A) Will we avoid the temptation to go after some super star free agent that can put us in cap hell or wasting months chasing a dream that turned out to be a nightmare that derailed our longer term goals?
    B) Will we stop giving away valuable draft picks to trade for over the hill players with short term contributions?
    C) Can we consider the possibility that trading down when the right player in the draft is not there for us particularly in the first is a good strategy?
    D) Are we willing to accept the fact that championships are won and lost in the trenches and build an OL, and a D that can sustain the challenge, often avoiding the sexy WR/RB pick for the more mundane OT/DE or OLB?
    E) will the front office team recognize a good football player and avoid a "workout warrior " with great numbers an no football sense?
    F) Can we agree that first, second and even third rounders are expected to be immediate contributors and not projects?
    G) Can we agree that great teams, teams that are perennial contenders are build through the draft and only through the draft?
    H) Are we ready to put a plan in motion NOW that begins with a strong, rich crop of draft choices that continues to build the nucleus of a good team for years to come?
    I) Finally, will we see a game plan from our coaching staff in 2012 that maximizes our players strength, or at least draft players that are ideally suited for our system and not try to force a system the players are not capable to excel at?
    Are we ready to set this team on along term winning course or will the FO mortgage the future for the NOW?
    Will soon get answers. Free agency will be the first indicator.
    I can't wait

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

[​IMG]

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Do teams ever draft without the intention of "making it count"?

4. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

As far as I'm concerned this draft and upcoming season is a referendum on Tannenbaum continuing as Jet's GM. Tanny,Bradway and Clinkscales must have a strong draft. Otherwise Woody must and should steer this team in another direction.

5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Good post

I disagree with (g)
    only

(I) may have been resolved already by the OC change

6. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

I seriously was laughing my ass off.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You need to incorporate the Jtuds sausage photoshop into that.

8. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

This off season has me..wondering of what we can possibly do. Hopefully all works out.

9. TheGreenCantona

i do not agree with the critisism of the trades than tanny is doing, what is killing us is the recent draft picks.

If half of sanchez, green, wilson, wilkerson, ellis, Vlad would have worked out we would be in really good shape right now.
    As it is we are debating QB, everydown RB, RT, D-line, and have cromartie as 2nd CB and no investment in S.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Good thing you mentioned that. I wasn't sure if the Jets realized they had to make good picks in this draft :)

11. weflyhigh

weflyhigh Member

We just need more draft picks period. If you review the last 5 drafts we've had the least picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

How can you say these 3 haven't worked out? Wilkerson played well last year. Not terrific, but certainly far from poor. He was a rookie and is a DE in a 3-4 scheme, he isn't meant to haven't a boat load of sacks.

It is far, far too early to tell with Ellis. He showed flashes last year and with a full offseason, I don't see any reason why he won't continue to improve. (The debate on the DL is DeVito's price tag. Other than that it is a deep, young, talented group).

Before last year I would have agreed with you on Wilson. But after one year working with Revis he improved by leaps and bounds. After another year working with Revis and improving, I don't see any reason why he can't start in place of Cromartie (I expect Cromartie to be cut after this year).

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]umDr0mPuyQc[/YOUTUBE]