Vlad Ducasse competes for RT position?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Braylon4ever, Feb 27, 2012.

1. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I am really rooting for this guy, as we all should be. As mentioned the lack of an offseason and playing multiple positions hurt him badly. I'm the ABH (anyone but hunter) train at this point, so I'm hoping for a miracle.

Anyone know if Turner is healthy and returning?

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't believe that he'll actually "compete" for any position - as in that there will be a real competition for a postion. Had it said he will compete for his JOB thats another story.

I also don't think the experiment of him "exclusively" at RT will last very long either. He's been bouncing around positions on the OL because he's not good at any of them and I suspect that will continue.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What was it about his play in the regular season that you didn't like?

4. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mark better improve his 40 time. He's gonna all the speed in the world.

5. BrowningNagle

you mean the < 4 plays a game he got as a blocking TE on short yardage? I suppose he didn't screw up too bad. He didn't have to pass block either. Considering that's 58% or more of his job and the most important part is keeping his QB upright, I don't think that's an accurate sample size.

I'll go by the preseason whereby he was destroyed by no-namers and almost got all 3 QBs injured. McElroy grew up fast back there, chucking and ducking Vlad's man.

6. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Nonissue. Hunter is a vet. He KNEW the system as he had started and played well. His getting beat last year wasn't because he was struggling to learn the blocking assignments, concepts or thinking too much. It's because he isn't that talented physically and simply isn't that good. He was a jag when the Jets signed him a few years ago and he's still a jag.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I figured you were going by 2 or 3 bad plays in preseason. Most people are.

ftr he was in for nearly 100 snaps in the regular season and more than 25% of those were pass plays. He gave up one qb pressure.

I agree he has a long way to go, but I think people are blowing a few plays from preseason out of proportion because he got beat REAL bad on those plays and also got Turner IR'd. He had some positives from preseason too, but no one ever noticed them.

8. BrowningNagle

SO you are essentially saying the same thing I said...

"nearly" 100 snaps in the regular season. Even if I assume nearly as 99 snaps which I surmise its less - thats 6 snaps per game. 25% of those were pass plays? that's 1.5 plays a game where he was called upon to pass block..as a extra TE.. in short yardage... they were probably quick pop passes to Keller or something- once again not a good sample size.

He has way more than a long way to go.. People think Hunter was bad but at least he was out there damn near every play having to block guys like Suggs, D Ware.. etc. I shudder to think how badly Vlad would get embarrassed by those guys.

Oh and if you think it was just 2 or 3 bad plays in the preseason you are very very wrong. Anyone who watched him pass block in the preseason knows it was a lot more than 2 or 3 times.. against complete scrubs. Were going on two preseasons straight of that... That's terrible for an undrafted FA lineman.. let alone a 2nd round pick. The experiment ends this year.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

No, I'm not very wrong at all. I watched him very closely in preseason and he had a number of positive plays that no one ever noticed because of the 2-3 bad plays. He also got blamed when other linemen were beat because of those 2-3 bad plays. Go back and watch the preseason games focusing on him. I'm sure you'll see him completely destroying a few people.

If he was as awful as many make it out to be he never would have seen the field in the regular season.

Let's see what he does with a full offseason and only having to learn one position. I think he'll surprise people.

10. BrowningNagle

I'll admit I didn't watch the preseason games as closely as you probably did but I do know there were times when perhaps it didn't look like it was HIS fault but there were many times in pass coverage where he was so lost he didn't hit ANYONE. Just because another guy let the man past - (hard to block his man and Ducasse's) doesn't mean it was his fault and not Vlad's.

I will try my best to reserve my judgement, but he has no where near the athletic ability of even Hunter and I sincerely doubt he has the awareness to succeed as a pass blocker in the NFL. All the offseason training in the world can't improve athletic ability.. They might be able to improve his awareness, but he's got a long long way to go I hope for his sake he can learn the very complex NFL schemes, not to mention that everyone is going to have to adjust anyway to a new system making it even more complicated.

11. mystikol

mystikol New Member

Suicides don't qualify anyway, and taking snaps behind Vladdy probably qualifies....(just kidding about the Vlad "analysis")

12. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to disagree with u, but it was the first year Hunter came in as a starter. Having a full season could have benefited him. Also the Jets game planning from the playoffs ground and pound to pass first had to take away from his comfort zone. He does not have much time with the starting line, and it takes time to gel.

Lets hope that Vlad Duccasse and Hunter come ready to impress. I still have a feeling that Hunter will edge out Duccasse, and it won't be a bad thing.

13. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

Is there a word missing from this sentence? :wink:

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I still say we should trade up in the draft to get Matt Kalil. Then we don't have to worry about crappy backup players coming though, and it would be someone that could start right away. If we could do that and still keep our #16 pick it would be totally worth it, even if we had to give up both Hunter and Ducasse.

15. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Too bad you get a penalty for removing your helmet on the field. Vlads face would scare all the pass rushers into the secondary.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I think U R erring when you compare pre season to regular season. Sorry JMHO :sad:

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I love when people offer no counterpoint whatsoever, and expect themselves to automatically be right because of a post as childish as this. I know it's highly unlikely but I'd fully support that move if we didn't lose our other #1 pick this year. We need to make a lot out of a little if we don't restructure a whole bunch of contracts and I certainly don't want a repeat of last year with the same OL, claiming they will be better this year, because then we'll have the same exact problems. We could really use another beast on the OL. We never replaced Woody.

19. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

your premise was that we would trade up to a top 3 pick without losing our number 1 pick while throwing in both wayne hunter and vlad ducasse.

every jet fan would support this move.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm not sure why you think I'm comparing the regular season to the preseason championjets69. The person I was having a discussion with brought up the preseason so we discussed that.