Fact or Fiction: Are most Jets fans really Mets fans?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by pimentel79, Jan 26, 2008.

?

What's your allegiance

Poll closed Feb 3, 2008.
  1. Jets/Yankees

78 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Jets/Mets

71 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. Jets/other

33 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think it depends when you grew up. In the 60's and 70's The Jets and the Mets were teams that were attractive to youth as they represented change in society. People that were more traditional would be Giants and Yankee fans. While those that were more anti-establishment and rebellious were Jets and Mets fans. There was very little love lost between these two groups and a large divide between the fanbases. It went beyond sports touching upon fans outlook on life and politics. Back then the Jets and Mets were tied together. One would have to have been borderline schizophrenic or simply blind to ones environment to be A jets/Yankess fan or Mets/Giants fan.

#221 Noam, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Jets/Mets for me. Mets are destined for last place this year, yet I'll fork over the $100 for mlb.tv. Sad, sad teams I root for.

3. endydee

endydee Active Member

Another possible factor for fans in my age group, which is early 50's, is that back in 1968-1969, it was a magical time for New York sports fans with both the Jets winning Super Bowl III, and backing up Joe Namath's bold prediction of beating the Colts, and the Mets miraculous World Series championship both occurring in the same year. The Knicks, were the only NBA team in New York then, and they won that year too. Even the Nets were an entertaining ABA team, with the likes of a young Julius Erving. The Yankees and Giants were non-factors at the heart of New York sports those years. For kids like myself at that time, loyalties were being established that have strenghened over time, and have lasted through the years.

Also perhaps, it may have something to do with the Mets and Jets both playing in Shea Stadium, while the Yankees and Giants both played at Yankee Stadium. If you were able to go to one and not the other, then that was the home team you rooted for.

#223 endydee, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Baseball is just to damn boring.

5. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

#225 pimentel79, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

May those days be restored. Jets and Mets, and Knicks winning in the same year would be the best way to make up for all these years. The Mets look so far off though, while I feel Jets will be first to win a championship followed by the Knicks. Still a dream though.

7. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

If you root for the Yankees in baseball, then you are a Giants fan in football. Plain and simple.

You can vote anyway you want in some poll, you can type until your fingers bleed telling the world how big of a Jets fan you are, buy all the Jets paraphenelia you want, PSLs, season tickets...doesn't matter.

If you are a Yankees fan, then you are a Giants fan. That's just the way it is.

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Im a Jets/Mets/Isles fan but I still think you're retarded.

9. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

jets mets here also

10. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

It's a painful duo if you're a fan like me. I've witnessed nothing but heartbreak

11. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

........... No . Just no.

12. duncc5

duncc5 Member

all boston teams except the jets and UConn for this guy. i know, i know... but being from ct, and seeing kraft fuck us over essentially just to get a better bid for a new stadium from MA, i knew that i would never be a pats fan as long as i lived.

13. snipes824

snipes824 Member

Jets, Mets, Rangers, Knicks here.

14. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

15. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

You are an idiot. How does being a fan of the Yankees mean I am a Giants fan? Cool I cheer for the Jets because of my dad and the Yankees because I always have. Why would I decide to root for the Giants just because I liked the Yankees?

16. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

Just relax and enjoy your Superbowl victory.

17. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Complete bull. I am a Yankee fan (albeit not a diehard one, I find baseball to be incredibly boring) and I absolutely despise the Giants. I hate them just as much (if not more) than the Pats.

18. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

Thou doth protest too much.

19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This is true and also, the stadiums where they played linked the Yankees/Giants and the Mets/Jets

There was a clear relationship between each set of teams

Jets, (changing over from Titans) hoped to capitalize on Mets early 60s poularity, and the success of both teams in late 60s cemented the relationship

Giants had an original tie w/the NY Giants baseball team (played in Polo Grounds...that's why they're called the "Football" Giants..to distinguish)

Giants moved to YS in '56. Giants always played up their relationship with the Yankees. Until Giants put the "NY" insignia on their helmets in'61, Giants used the Yankee "NY" on their jackets and caps

Yankees/Giants were the established teams. Mets/Jets the newcomers

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This connection is in the dim and distant past for some (like me :wink:)
    but we still adhere to it

I don't know if it has much meaning for an under 30 fan