Jets not so quick fixable after all?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 1, 2012.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Always feel like I end up arguing with you on this board. You and I both know how flawed pts per game is. No one with a rational mindset can look at the Jets and Pats defense form this past year and consider them to be anything close to each other. Yards per game shows that. Even if you take out all the pick 6s, ST turnovers we had, the Jets still come out ahead in the pts per game argument.

There's a reason why yards allowed per game is the 'go to' defensive stat over pts per game. Pats fans only use pts per game as a crutch cause it shows their defense to be just average, although everyone knows it isn't.

As the saying goes, 'whatever helps you sleep at night'

But again, your team is in the SB despite having a terrible defense. Honestly, its something you should be proud of. The fact that Bill was able to pull this off with a chance of being SB champs is nothing short of a miracle IMO.

#101 CurbYourEnthusiasm, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The Jets were actually ranked 5th in the league on total defense (yards per game). Pats fans are funny. We know they did give up a few more big plays than usual, but you can't honestly say the offense helped with all the turnovers setting up the opposition with great field position. The defense did its job for the most part, but with so many turnovers you are going to have more points than normal. The Giants ranked worse than us in PPG on defense this year and look how they are about to eat Brady alive come Sunday.

#102 Barcs, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  3. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Banned

It's not just where you're ranked; it's also how you match up. The Giants match up pretty well against the Pats because they have a strong pass rush to disrupt Brady's timing.

4. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

He isn't saying anything that hasn't been said already by plenty of other people, but Lombardi is right.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Lombardi piles on

Talk about hating the Jets. Geez, Rex getting to you a little Mike?

INDIANAPOLIS -- Fixing the Jets won't be so easy if you ask Michael Lombardi.

The current NFL Network analyst and former league executive said he doesn't think the Jets have enough payroll flexibility to repair what ailed an 8-8, dysfunctional team.

"I think the Jets are tied together by a lot of guaranteed contracts," Lombardi said Tuesday. "I don't know how you could ever go about fixing it. If Santonio [Holmes] is on the team in [February], he's guaranteed the next year. I think whenever you have a locker room controlled by guaranteed money it's tough to fix."

Lombardi, who has been critical of Jets coach Rex Ryan's style, said he expects the Jets to talk plenty about repairing the locker room, which blew up at the end of the season, but actually doing it is another matter.

"Fear does the work of reason. If you can't put fear into the players that they're going to lose their jobs, it's tough to reason with them," he said "I think it's going to be a very, very tough locker room to get handled. I think it's going to be a lot of easy quotes in May and June and August, but I think once the first bump in the road comes when things don't go good, that's going to be the true test."

Like many people, Lombardi said he believes Ryan needs to change his ways. Lombardi said Ryan's constant praise of his players has a detrimental effect.

"I think you have to be honest with the players," he said. "I think they want you to be honest. I think you have to be honest with yourself. I don't think you can go in front of everybody and say you're the greatest team in America and you just got beat. I think you have to be more critical. I don't think that's a sustainable paradigm.

"He's in the last week of the [season] and he's talking about if we just get in we'll win the Super Bowl. Is that really realistic? I just think it's going to be a really hard job for him to change the team if you don't change the players."

As for quarterback Mark Sanchez, Lombardi said the Jets need to revamp their offensive personnel in order for him to flourish.

"I think if they want Mark Sanchez to be a great quarterback they need to have a blue-chip running back around him," he said. "If they want to be ground and pound, then you can't be ground and pound when Dustin Keller can't block anybody. It's tough to be ground and pound when everybody knows the tight end isn't going to block anyone. So now you have to substitute to get the blocking tight end in. Oh, by the way, they're going to run the ball now that [Matthew] Mulligan is in the game. Why don't we just put up a red flag and say we're going to run it? I think they have to change their roster to suit that. I'm not sure Shonn Greene is the guy who can be the blue-chip running back."

Lombardi, who last worked with the Raiders in the league, did not reserve his criticism for the offense. He also said the Jets defense is overrated.

"That's the biggest misconception about them," he said. "[Ryan] talks about the defense when he doesn't have a blue-chip player in the front seven."

And the idea of the Jets getting Colts quarterback Peyton Manning if he becomes a free agent?

"Where are they going to get the cap room from?" Lombardi said. "Look at what they did last year to the team with the idea to get Nnamdi. They guaranteed Bart Scott's contract, which they tried to cut him at the end of the year until they found out he has $4 million guaranteed. They guaranteed Calvin Pace's contract so he has to come back."

After getting done ripping Ryan, Lombardi also took a shot at general manager Mike Tannenbaum and how the Jets have drafted lately.

"They've had 13 draft picks, nine of them have been spent on running backs, wide receivers and quarterbacks and you'll hear the GM at the next press conference talk about how Ron Wolf told him to draft a quarterback every year," he said. "That's worked out well for him, hasn't it?"

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsb...mproving_uFcIDf4KsoEZ9W6pNN580I#ixzz1lEjfiG4H

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsb...ep_jets_from_improving_uFcIDf4KsoEZ9W6pNN580I

6. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

Third thread on this same article.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I did not see it. Mod, please delete

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Not a problem.

Bump.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Nothing is a quick fix in the NFL. There are always consequences. I say the Jets are in way better shape this off season than last one.

10. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Let me guess, you must be a "glass half full" kinda guy.

11. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

well it's easy for us to spin this into a positive.

what i mean is that, perhaps the jets needed to be embarrassed, and humbled to become a better team.

thats the only positive.

of course i would rather have what happened last year.

12. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

let me guess u r in to QBs who needs their wives to send email to their friends to pray for them...awesome...

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think you passed up a great opportunity with a poor effort here. I think PatsFanTX would agree the execution was lacking on this joke.

I would have personally gone with a "Shouldn't you be praying for your QB right now? His team worked very hard to get where it is and he needs the prayers." or something along those lines.

Anyways I would agree with Barcs and JFaulk saying this could be good for the Jets. They always seem to play best when the media is completely against them and calling them out. Hopefully the team can rally around this, and they now learn that Rex cannot coach up everyone. The last two years it seemed Tanny and Rex were blinded by the success they were having so they thought more people were replaceable than they really are. This was a good wake up call to them so they know they can't just get hired guns and they need to build a team.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

This is true, but I was referring to our salary cap and free agents. We are in MUCH better shape this year. Last year we could barely afford to sign anybody. This year we have much more leeway. Why are you still here bullshitting on a Jets message board? The Jets failure is so 5 weeks ago. Focus on those Giants because they probably have the best chance of any team in the NFC to beat the Patriots.

15. patfanken

patfanken Banned

WHAT are you saying. No Barcs, the Jets' cap situation IS NOT better this season, its WORSE. Have you ever thought WHY the Jets didn't use that $8MM in cap space they had last year to sign better players. They didn't because they KNEW that they needed that money to carry over into 2012 because of the contract driven cap increase.

As of today, the Jets are OVER the cap. Players will have to be cut and contracts renegotiated in order for the Jets to be able to sign their draft choices and a few minimum wage FAs

Forget about the Jets being a player in FA. The money isn't there. You should be very happy if after all the finagling the Jets will have to go through, they have about $8M to spend That will put you in a severe competitive disadvantage when you consider that your competitors within the division will have 2 to 3 times that amount to play with.

I think you would be better off expending your efforts to lighting candles in prayer, hoping that Tanny hits on all 10 of your picks and one of those minimum wage FAs turns out to be Victor Cruz.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'd be all about picking up Victor Cruz, but we know that would come at a decent price. The Jets are over the cap right now because the off season hasn't started. Several players will not be resigned, the amount of FAs last year was ridiculous. We'll have room to make the necessary adjustments. We have a good young core of players right now, many of which will only get better. We'll be fine.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why would we sign victor cruz when we already have a roster full of victor cruz's?