Jets not so quick fixable after all?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Don't knock bells until you've tried them.

[​IMG]

#81 Don, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Putting aside your frankly debatable point about CB's, I appreciate you acknowledge that Cro was an upgrade.

But I tend to agree it is the only move the D has made that is an improvement since Rex came to the team. Meanwhile, Pace overcame his injuries, but is getting older. Thomas went down without a suitable replacement, and is likely gone this off season. Bart Scott is also older and getting less playing time (at least Pace gets a lot of playing time for his money). DeVito is a solid player but showed a bit of the injury bug. Pouha is underrated imo, but compared to Jenkins (who technically was the starting NT when Ryan came), he is hardly an upgrade. Wilkerson may well have played well for a rookie, but it is not clear he is or even will be an upgrade over the Ellis that was playing when Ryan came. And Leonhard when healthy, as much as I think he helped, was no Kerry Rhodes.

FTr I don't think Cro is all that bad a tackler. His rep for being so is overdone.

3. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Bulletin board material!!

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

That gave me a hearty larf.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He doesn't put his shoulders and hips into tackles. He arm tackles and tries to wrap people up and most importantly he runs parallel or even away from them as he is doing this.

He's probably the worst open field tackler I've ever seen in the Jets defensive backfield and he's certainly the worst fast one.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sad thing is, Revis has the ability and skillset to make a move to free safety and instantly become the best free safety in the league. But agent-dictated restrictions in his contract likely prevent such a move.

7. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Banned

For when you're playing the NFL Network Analysts football team???

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'd like to see David Harris have a free shot on Stuart Scott, I'd hope it'd look something like that old 1980's clip they always show of the Jet LB hitting the Dolphin player and he helicopter spins through the air. I know a few guys know the players and when it happened but I don't remember.

9. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Banned

Nat Moore made the catch. I don't remember who made the tackle. I know it was a 3rd down play that led to a score and the Dolphins getting a come-from-behind win. Fins went 14-2 that year and got crushed in the SB.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

3 years ago we had Revis along with Rhodes a very respectable safety with real range in the passing game. Rhodes was dumped because he didn't buy into Ryans system and was considered soft.

2 years ago Leonard goes down the D goes into the tank, Lowery steps in and stabalizes the position and adds range to our coverage and have a great playoff run.

Last year we dump Lowery before the season and our D losses all it's range at safety. Leonard goes down again and we fold down the stretch.

Rex seems to want very strong corner play and tough safties who can stop the run. What Rex seems to miss is the NFL passing game is now TE and slot recievers and you have to have a safety with enough range to get into the QB's head and cover.

Both Rex and he's brothers D in Dallas were badly expossed this year in a year when the NFL passing game went to another level.

If we don't adjust this team goes nowhere.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm going to defer to junc, but pretty sure it was Kenny Shroy on the hit.

12. patfanken

patfanken Banned

OK EJ, I went to Jetscap.com and even your own guy has the Jets currently at $123.3,MM which is about what the cap for 2012 is expected to be. ESPN posted a $125MM

Why do you just make up a number and say you have 8-11MM. Looks to me that you are counting on the $7MM carryover. You don't seem to get it. As of this moment the Jets have NO cap room. If the draft was held now, they wouldn't be able to sign their own draft picks. But that's not the point either.

The point is that regardless of how much money the Jets will manage to create under the cap. Even if your 7-11MM fantasy number is real, it STILL puts the Jets over 20MM less competitive in the FA market than the Pats and Bills and $13MM less than the Dolphins

I cannot believe how delusional some Jet fans are about their cap situation. You completely ignore how it tied you up last season, and how it will be worse this one.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a much bigger reason he wouldn't make that move: safeties get paid less than cornerbacks, despite the greater correlation to winning with great safeties.

This is one of the disconnects in the NFL today. The really good franchises just don't put money into the cornerback position. The average to bad franchises see the cornerbacks as their saviors.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think this the article he was referring to: http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/2012cap.php

Basically says if we make moves we will probably will make, we have room to sign our rookies and cheap FA's.

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

As it's been pointed out many times, if you take out points scored off of opponents return TD's the Jets defense was ~#10 in the league in points against while the Pats defense goes up to ~#19 in the league. Of course, that would ruin your arguement.

#95 johnny, Feb 1, 2012
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess I should have specified why the agent would insist on a restriction like that but you read my mind anyway.

Revis could read an offense and quarterback better from the middle of the field than any player on our team and most defensive signal calling players in the NFL. It is part of what makes him so effective. Plus, he'd be like a cornerbacks coach on the field.

I think with the eventual spike in TE contracts we're likely to see very soon that safety pay will increase proportionately, but not enough to get him to agree to such a move.

17. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

lol you are a clown. you keep saying this every year, and we do something about it. the jets did not spend 7-11mil this year, and that carries into next season. we can burrow money in future caps as well.

look at one of the most recent articles on how we could create 25mil to play with.

18. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Pts allowed are just as flawed as yards allowed. Your defense benefits, because your offense doesn't turn the ball over, which only hides your defense's deficiencies.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

How can you make this point when the Jets have had a top 5 defense the last 3 seasons? Different schemes work for different teams. The Jets force opposing teams to gameplan around Revis and it works, considering the results.

There isn't a single position on defense that is a necessity, be it a corner, pass rusher, etc. You scheme around the talent you have. We don't have any good pass rushers, and it hasn't stopped us from being a top defense since Rex has been here.

I somewhat understand the point you make. If we had average corners, how do you know opposing #1 receivers wouldn't just torch us?

I'd rather be greedy and have the elite CB and a great pass rusher. Hopefully Wilkerson turns into something close to that or we draft a new OLB.

#99 CurbYourEnthusiasm, Feb 1, 2012
  20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

People don't take Revis out of the game. Revis takes the #1 receiver out of the game. Only way to avoid Revis is to not target the receiver.

Meh, the post is notorious for hating on the Jets. No worries. They'll be back. We have a lot of young guys in key positions now. Kyle Wilson will improve, Wilkerson will only get better, Kerley's got huge potential. Our main issues were on the oline, coupled of course with the lack of a deep threat. The defense was decent enough. We address the line and WR via draft and also sign another vet and we're set. It can't hurt to draft a RB & safety as well. I'm still optimistic. Greene will be fine if properly utilized.

#100 Barcs, Feb 1, 2012