Old Farts/Darksiders/SOJFs vs. Young Guys/Sunshiners Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Jan 28, 2012.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I just made it up - it is mostly tongue in cheek from where I sit. The thread was made for a us all to have a good time and debate this outside of another thread where it sorta hijacks another topic. I find it fascinating to see people in different stages of what I've lived through.

2. The_Darksider

Sorry guys - but as stated in responses above this thread was more tongue in cheek than top notch journalism, so to speak. I wanted to have a good time with this subject. Bright eyed and bushy tailed is a playful way of personifying the way I look at the younger fans who are so convinced the Jets are close after the past two seasons. Reminds me of myself in the early 80s, leading up to the heartbreak in 1986.

3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Are you saying that the Jets will stand pat this year? I don't think so. And as a result, the "window" will be expanded

I would be surprised and disappointed if the LB position is not significantly upgraded. Pace & Scott are cap nightmares this season, But I could see their roles significantly reduced. Its much easier for us to cut them after 2012.

Keller faces a Sanchez-like need for a break-out season, but he is replaceable and upgradable.

If wilkerson and Kerley deserve to get paid, then we have to figure out a way to do it.

As much as I like what they've done so far, and think they should be given some more time, its Tanny and Rex for would be most hurt by a sub-par 2012, and for whom the window could be closing.

4. The_Darksider

Unless I'm missing something, I see the younger fans as the ones giving up on Sanchez and wanting us to cut bait with him and bring in Manning. Most of the older guys I've seen post are FOR Sanchez, but have issues with the front office and Rex Ryan., myself included.

If I am wrong, then I'm wrong. But I go on the record as staunchly opposing the Manning move, and strongly preferring to bolster the important parts of the team while Sanchez develops.

5. The_Darksider

Best post on the SOJ I've seen. The higlighted part is exactly what I've tried to convey, couldn't have said it better myself. Awesome.

Agree with every single aspect, and I'm living the heartbreak with you. 1981 with the 24-0 comeback, interception in the endzone with 30 seconds left was my first year with the team. And your post doesn't even mention several of the 8-4, 8-5, 7-4 starts that ended with no playoffs.

6. The_Darksider

I agree with this post. 1981 was my first year as a fan, and the AFC championship game in 1982 was so frustrating. I was completely stoked for 1983, we were so ready to take the next step. And Michaels' firing caught me completely off guard. In fact, I didn't even know it was a firing until this thread - it's always been portrayed as him just up and quitting. I guess in retrospect a firing makes sense considering how sudden it was, but regardless, I remember being shocked and dismayed and even reading articles about how it was a bad move for the franchise.

I don't recall a single word being said in favor of his leaving.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Since the Jets already have to find one OLB in this offseason to replace Bryan Thomas it is highly unlikely that they pay Pace this year and bring in another OLB to replace him unles you are talking about rolling the dice on a day two draft pick. We have no cap room to add another ILB unless you believe one Scott's replacement is already on the roster (Westerman, Mauga, etc.).

We have limited cap room and draft pick to fill the holes we already have, much less the ones that will open up in the future.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

@Joe Willie White Shoes - Excellent post.

I know I'm a sunshiner, but I am because of what I am seeing now. I was definitely not in that camp when Hermie or Mangini were here, was when Parcells was here, and was a sunshiner back in the Micheals era. The other coaches were pure shit.

I know I've written this hundreds of times already, but what is the time limit on our HC? Why do we as a fan base keep thinking next year or 2 years and Rex is out. Are we not taking a step back and looking at his leadership abilities and his will to want to win? His passion? It takes a much bigger man to admit mistakes and go out and seek help than trying to fix it without being open about those mistakes.

Some of the fanbase praise guys like Gruden and Cowher. Why does Cowher get such a long leash in Pitt and Rex doesn't get one here (13 years to make SB)? If the Jets are playoff bound the next 2 years and don't make the SB, is Rex out? Is this the stability we want for our team? Changing for the sake of change, doesn't make sense. Its hurts the long term goals. Herm had a foot out the door before his 5th season ended. His culture and his environment was just taking hold about that time and he made his exit. Mangini was here 3 years. Parcells bailed after the 3rd year. We need some long term stability.

Whatever you think about RR, he's doing a good job. He's raised our expectations, he's reaised his players expectations of themselves. He's a new HC learning on the job and he's done pretty well all things considered. Now he's looking to guys like Steve Young, and bringing in offensive consultants, and hiring better coaches, and talks about fixing his mistakes. When was the last time a coach went public about what he did wrong. In this day and age?

I'm fucking sick of the misery as well. I want to buy that AFC champ shirt; I will probably spend $10k on SuperBowl memorabilia when the Jets eventually win it. But jumping ship every time there's a problem is not going to fix it. We call for Sanchez head, and he hasn't even gotten there yet. He's not reached his ceiling. He needs more time to develop. You can't dump the 5th pick after the 3rd year. Its suicide. If Sanchez sux balls after he completes his 5th year, then our replacement QB will be taking the job away from him. If he's still winning, then why dump him. The venerable Peyton Manning got blown out by the Jets 41-0 in his 5th year. Where would Indy be if they quit on him? The Giants? How bout them Chargers - and this is just recent history.

The team is headed in the right direction. But we need to have some patience - and mine is pretty thin, as is yours. But take a step back and be thankful a guy like Rex, with his management and leadership abilities, is currently at the wheel of the ship. We could be in a lot worse situations. There are bound to be a few more groaner moments along the way, but he's recognizing his deficiencies and improving himself. You can't ask for more than that.

9. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I'm only 21 years old so I'm still considered a "new comer," I guess. My dad brought me up as a Jets fan. My first bottle as a baby was a Jets bottle. My first "baseball cap" wasn't a Mets or Yankees hat, it was a Jets hat. Other than my family, the Jets are the longest attachment I have. I grew up getting made fun of for wearing Jets gear to school. But it didn't matter to me growing up because in my childhood we were awful. I grew up with Kotite as our coach. As a kid the Jets were like lovable losers to me and my dad. We didn't care. Then Parcells came and 98 was the best season I ever knew. Even though we didn't go to the Super bowl in 98 my dad and I were excited for 99. Then it all went down hill. Since then there were ups and downs, mainly downs, until what was supposed to be a great 08 season. Then the "Same Old Jets" came out again.

When Rex became head coach my dad and I didn't know how to react until his presser. We fell in love with his personality and it was a major step from Mangini. I was really excited for the 09 season. I was going to be starting college and with the draft of Sanchez and the new signings and coach I was excited. BUT as usual I didn't expect much. The run we made in 09 was one of the happiest i've been with the Jets. I said with Rex, we will be back. In 2010 for the first time I actually bought into super bowl talk and believed what Rex was saying. It had to the one of the first times in my life I liked where this team's direction was going. It ended in sadness again, but to me, the "Same Old Jets" stamp was fading.

I firmly believe if we stay on this track and don't do anything irrational, we will get to the big dance very soon. There isn't much more I can ask for than that. I want to win a super bowl something terrible. I guess it's because I'm young and I like to look at the bright side of things most of the time, I feel the older generations still feel like Charlie Brown and the Jets and the NFL are Lucy.

I love the Jets and always will, that's all I got.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Michaels was a very good coach but reality is back in 1982 they didn't send corporate executives to rehab who were out of control substance abusers, they fired them.

There is a reason Michael's was fired and it wasn't about his coaching skills. The guy was personally out of control. No question he was an excellent coach and Walton was not the right guy to replace him. Based on the era and the personal issues Michael's had, the team had no choice.

It was the ultimate SOJ situation.

#90 Biggs, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this is pretty much exactly as I feel - I want them to win so much - but just "know" that they will find a way to fuck it up.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mm what you have posted here I have being hearing for 43 years

I firmly believe if we stay on this track and don't do anything irrational, we will get to the big dance very soon. There isn't much more I can ask for than that. I want to win a super bowl something terrible. I guess it's because I'm young and I like to look at the bright side of things most of the time, I feel the older generations still feel like Charlie Brown and the Jets and the NFL are Lucy.

Did if ever occur to U how U will feel when U turn 60 & they still have won nothing?

;sad:

13. championjets69

Who are U trying to fool with this silly statement

The team is headed in the right direction. But we need to have some patience - and mine is pretty thin, as is yours. But take a step back and be thankful a guy like Rex, with his management and leadership abilities, is currently at the wheel of the ship. We could be in a lot worse situations. There are bound to be a few more groaner moments along the way, but he's recognizing his deficiencies and improving himself. You can't ask for more than that.

You mean his stewardship of the L/room this past season made him a super amanger?

Go back in the thread & see all of the things that will I post that need immediate upgrading before we will again be considered a PO team

Lastly as I have stated RR contract ends after the 2013 season & if we have another dreadful season in 2012 Woody will most likely leave RR behind & find someone else who he thinks may get us the VLT

Oh yes look ahead to when U hit 60 years of the age & the NYJs have still won nothing
    :sad:

14. championjets69

There was no TGG in those days. There was also no talk sports radio so the fans had no way to make there feelings known about WM except thru the newspapers :sad:

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

holy smokes - thats quite a list and believe it or not there are likely other entries on a smaller scale (individual games) that deserve to be on it.

well i was having a good morning......

thanks DBJ

16. championjets69

I lost my 2 best pals when they were in there 40s so anything can happen. If I was you & having observing the NYJs organization now for 49 years 1963 till the present I would prepare for the NYJs having still won nothing 30 years from now :sad:

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IMO opinion u have to separate the folks pre-parcells/post parcells....

the pre-parcells folks, like me, are hardened veterans that have sat thru the michaels, waltons, coslets, kotities - and all the antics of those teams. some good, alot bad, and some only the jets can pull off.

the post parcells folks are the youngans - with barely a scratch on them - that have had to "deal" with 3 AFC ch game losses within several playoff appearances.

the danger here is that this cycle peaked last year and we are staring at another dry spell. of course - none of us knows that now and only when we are sitting around bitching about sparano in 4-5 years will it become evident.

18. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

So, we're the only team or franchise that hasn't won anything in years? We're the only team with a sordid history? Seriously?
    And, Champ, the last time I looked, if you're as old as you claim to be, they HAVE won something in 60 years, whereas in my 35 years on this planet, they HAVEN'T. I know the fortunes of the Jets mean a lot, no bullshit, but your "all or nothing" attitude is a little ridiculous, no? And, ftr, I believe in capital letters, not acronyms and emocons, sorry.

And, before my response gets ripped to shreds, this my .02 so Good luck trying to take it from me. Does it suck my first real remembrance of this team is the Mud Bowl? Does it suck seeing 4 AFCCGs and not winning at least one of them? Of course, but I'm a Jets fan, and I wouldn't go back to 1982 and change that for anything. Even though my pops is a Giants fan, and, to his credit, he tried, he most definitely tried.

19. championjets69

You need a NYJ history lesson

1960 to 1962 NY Titans
    1963 till now NYJs

So from 63 to 2012 according to my math is 49 years. Hopefully U will agree with that

They won the SB on 01/12/69 which means that most wonderful victory 43 years ago based on the present math taught in schools at least in the USA

Have you ever given any thought to how U will feel when you are in your 60s & hey still have won nothing? :

There is one thing in sports that matters & that is winning not every year but every few years
    sad:

20. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I will not base the happiness of my life on whether a football team wins the VLT in my lifetime, so no I don't give a lot of thought to it.
    I only hope, for your sake and the sake of those around you, you don't live your own life with these ridiculous expectations. I tend to look at things has being multi-dimensional, not all or nothing, so sorry.
    Would it suck, yeah, but am I going to be basing my overall happiness on it, hell no.