Giants take advantage of concussions

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by CJLang, Jan 23, 2012.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/concussions-take-on-a-strategic-component/

Concussions take on a strategic component

With the NFL increasingly sensitive to concussions and, more importantly, increasingly willing to pull players out of games who have suffered concussions, it was only a matter of time before teams began to use concussions as a way to gain a strategic advantage.

Benjamin Wallace-Wells of New York Magazine points out that the Giants apparently did just that to 49ers kick returner Kyle Williams on Sunday.

Giants linebacker Jacquian Williams said after the New York victory that the plan for attacking Kyle Williams was to, well, attack him. “The thing is, we knew he had four concussions, so that was our biggest thing, was to take him outta the game,” Jacquian Williams said, via the team’s official website.

Receiver Devin Thomas, who recovered both a muffed punt and fumbled return from Kyle Williams, agreed. “He’s had a lot of concussions,” Thomas said, via the Newark Star-Ledger. “We were just like, ‘We gotta put a hit on that guy.’ . . . [Giants reserve safety Tyler] Sash did a great job hitting him early and he looked kind of dazed when he got up. I feel like that made a difference and he coughed it up.”

Which is worse, the Giants studying up on players medical histories to take advantage of them, or players on the team stupid enough to go public with it?

I'm sure the league will find the very interesting, and not in a good way.

2. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Daw Jets dey have no classss!

3. stayclassy

stayclassy New Member

Yes, because players on defense NEVER go after an opposing players injury. You should have seen some 49er games this season, that is pretty much what their whole defense does.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

All teams take advantage of injuries but the problem is the Giants are supposed to be all "class" and above things like this- at least above talking about it, right? I'm so sick of this perception of class w/ that organization.

here's another example:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ton-picking-ny-giants-49ers-article-1.1010579

Nothing but class, the same organization that mocks the Jets after winning a WC game, send out a tweet mocking the Jets after winning the NFC Title, the same organization that honors a scumbag like LT no matter what he does, the same organization that averages over an arrest per year under Coughlin while we have one arrest in 3 years w/ Rex. They are all CLASS!

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Pro football is going to go the way of bullfighting in the next twenty years. How do these hovering suburban helicopter parents who never let their kids out of sight until they go to college let them play football?

6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I have no problem being agressive with injuries like knees, shoulders, QBs.

But concussions? Thats pretty fucked up. Knock em outta the game, but dont give s guy fucking brain damage

7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Does that mean they'll target Brady's knee in the Superbowl?

Hope so.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Coughlin must be beside himself that a couple of borderline roster special teamers are "sharing" info like targeting a player with a concussion history.

I'm sure plenty of teams have these discussions during meetings and practice, but you are supposed to keep this stuff in building.

It seems like these two guys were getting their 15 minutes of fame and couldn't handle it, and said stuff that they know (now if they didn't before) they shouldn't have.

9. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I think they should have just kept their mouths shut and played the game. Probably everyone does it but it seems they are smart enough to keep their mouths shut about it.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

All athleats do this. Hell we did it in high school is we knew someone was banged up we went after him. This is was teams do as much as they can to hide injuries on the injury report and is really a non issue. Its not like they are cheating by taping the callss from the side lines or something.

11. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

While I agree it probably goes on all over the league...

I think a league ready to be beseieged by law suits from ex-players will find it a fairly big deal that stories about teams targeting players with concussion histories are coming out at this date.

Spygate jabs just don't bother me, and I'm certainly not going to get into that yet again. I say infraction, you say cheating.

#11 CJLang, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  12. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Rex's dad used to pay his players to knock out opponents.

This whole thing is BFD. Who cares.

13. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

this is no different than a team going after a offensive linemen that may have a hamstring injury, receiver with a bruised rib, etc.

just because its a concussion scenario people are going nuts.

if he was all screwed up he shouldnt of played.

14. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Wasn't it the classy giants who had two players fake injuries early in the season to stop a drive down at their own red zone?

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Jus stop wit dat... Mara and Tisch run a fourst class awgunization, dey would neva allow da Giants to sink to dose shawnanigans. Deez gawys who said dis aw outta der dam minds. It's jawst da media making a mowlhill outta an awnthill.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The funny part about this post is that the bolded part is every Patriot fan's knee-jerk initial defense against Spygate.

Minus 'probably.'

#16 abyzmul, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I like a good dig as much as anyone, but this one's a bit of a reach. You've been on a pretty good roll as far as funny posts lately, don't reach so hard that you become James Calvin. :beer:

18. 3xNFLChampion

3xNFLChampion Banned

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't have T-Rex arms like that tosser.

Just throwing a spotlight on a pretty humorous situation.

20. Corrado Sparano

Corrado Sparano New Member

lets not kid ourselves, everyones doing it