Going after Carl Nicks...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 17, 2012.

?

Getting Nicks for 8 mill and releasing Moore & Hunter... would you do it?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This is not fantasy football. I'm guessing he'll want around 8 mill per year (what Faneca and Evans got).

Brandon Moore is entering his 10th season (9th as a starter) at 32 yrs of age. Questions about him returning to pre-hip surgery strength and overall on his ability to fit in a power system (6'3" & 305 lbs).
    Very good leader (still pissed at him for not being able to call out protections when Mangold was out though) and a solid pass protector.
    Jets save fom 4.46 mill to 3 mill depending on when they cut him.

Wayne Hunter we all know... 2.5 mill saved by cutting him.

This means we can get from 7 to 5.5 mill by getting rid of these 2 guys.
    Would you do it if this gave us a chance to bring a dominant guard like Carl Nicks in here? He would fit Sparano's system extremely well and is huge (6'5" & 340lbs). He's also only 26 (27 by the start of the season). If the Jets really want to be a ground&pound team then investing in an all-pro guard is the best investment they can do.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Given all the locker room drama I just cannot see them getting rid of a guy like Moore this season.

3. swifty_0

swifty_0 New Member

Wasn't Brandon Moore the only O-Lineman to not allow a sack?

I would hate get ridding of him. Especially at a time where there are chemistry issues in the locker room, we need veterans like Moore on the squad.

4. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

Absolutely.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I agree and yes that stat is true but... Carl friggin' Nicks guys!

Wht sucks is that our 2 biggest leaders on O (Moore and LT) are probably 2 of the more repleacable guys out there. Guys like Mangold and Ferguson HAVE to step up and become leaders... with no Faneca and Moore getting old we need new leaders!

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He did allow 1 sack at the end of the season. Moore is a good player, but when you have a turnstile like Hunter next to you, they tend to give you the easiest guy to block.

7. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

Your idea is a very good one, makes total sense from both a strategic and financial aspect, and would be an upgrade for the team.

8. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Lol this guy is going to demand somewhere around a 6 year 50m contract, I don't see us getting him sorry.

9. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

You'd have too much money on the OL, you'd still need a RT, and you'd blow up the line's continuity. Other than that super idea.

10. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

No-brainer. A 32 year old and a bum to free up space for an absolute beast in his prime is a no-brainer.

11. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

As a fan of having solid Veteran leadership I can see your point....but in all honesty I felt that Moore gave into the trash talk a bit too much during the season. A true leader wouldn't have responded to Santonio's criticism to the media.

Granted Holmes took advantage of every chance he got to say "The O-line needs to block better and give Mark more time so he can get the ball to the play makers". Moore felt a responsibility to defend his unit (OL), but as a true captain he should have kept it in house and given the generic "everything is great" answer to the media.

12. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Have you ever even heard of a cap space? You want Peyton and Carl Nicks and you still want safeties/pass rushers/TE's. Its really just not viable and B. Moore was beast this season.

13. ChuckUp

ChuckUp Member

Would love to have Nicks but what do we do about the hole at RT? Unless we can draft an immediate starter (doubtful in 2nd or 3rd round) we have to sign someone. That's going to cost.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Aside from the leadership aspect, this is a no brainer. He would fit PERFECTLY with Sparano’s system. Moore is meant for more of a cerebral and finesse approach than the physical mentality that Sparano wants to bring. He wants large bodies and our heaviest player is our turnstyle RT, Moore doesnt really fit in with Sparano’s system... I would really like this move, just hope some other players would be able to step up and take over a leadership role.

15. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

LOL..."the line's continuity". Holy shit, you can't make this stuff up.

Same people on here who don't want to give $10 million to a stud lineman in his prime want to throw $20 million at a washed up QB who may or may not even be able to play football.

You build winning teams in the trenches.

#15 Roger Vick, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Its not so much that I see him as a great leader - more there was a lot of criticism (mostly from slightly bitter ex-players) about the way the jets jetisoned (quite rightly in most cases) a lot of their "veteran" players - and I could see a move like this getting too much attention right now ("The jets clearly havent learnt from their mistakes" type headlines) for the team to want to do it.

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Brandon Moore is good at pass blocking but was also one of the worst O linemen in the league in run blocking. If you want to become a run first offense that has to change. Maybe a better RT will help him get a surge on that side of the line.

18. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I think the Saints tag him if they can re-sign Brees early.
    Even if they don't and he hits free agency I don't think we really have the money unless the cap goes way up.
    We are at 121.4M next year, now cutting 2 starting O-linemen gets it down to 116M or so. Assume the cap hit on Nicks' deal is what? 9-11M easy?
    you are well over $125M and have no right tackle, no safeties, are running out Kerley as the #2 WR with no #3 or #4 WR. No backup QB. and still need to resign or replace, Pouha and the LBs who are FA.

19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The Jets have to stop with the mind set that acquiring other teams proven players through free agency or trades is the way to build a team.

We've had half the amount of draft picks as the Pats the last 3 seasons. That's going to continue to catch up to the Jets going forward. Giving 50 million dollars to a guard is just not a good allocation of funds.

Sign a veteran RT on the cheap to fix the line so that we don't have the same issues we had this year. Then draft the BPA and either keep all of the picks or trade down to get more picks.

If the Jets want to compete every year they need to start building a team through the draft and supplementing with cheap free agent pick ups.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

What matters is how the money is spread out, not (just) what the total amount is.

1) If we want to be a ground&pound team having money on the OL is a good thing.

2) Agreed. Ducasse, a vet and a draft pick would have to be put in a competition for RT. Still though, it's not like we have exactly an all-pro guy right now.

3) We're probably going to install a new system on the OL anyways... continuity is important but it has to be broken every now and then. I think this is the best year to change some things on the OL.
    Plus if not this year next year will be the one we have to waive bye-bye to Moore.