Namath critical of Sparano...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BlueDevil73, Jan 12, 2012.

1. BlueDevil73

BlueDevil73 New Member

It's time for Joe to shut up

Joe Namath dislikes Tony Sparano hire
    Rich Cimini [ARCHIVE]

ESPNNewYork.com | January 12, 2012
    Tony Sparano has been on the job for only two days, but he got his first taste of New York criticism -- and it came from the New York Jets' most famous fan/detractor, Joe Namath.

The legendary Jet made his feelings abundantly clear: He didn't like the hiring of Sparano, the former Miami Dolphins coach, as offensive coordinator.

"I'm stumped. I am stumped," Namath said Thursday on his weekly spot on "The Michael Kay Show" on 1050 ESPN New York. "Aye, aye, aye, aye. Let's ask the world: Do you like the choice of Tony Sparano as offensive coordinator?"

"I've watched Tony work down here with the Dolphins and I thought he carried himself very well through all the adversity and all, but other than having called some plays with the Dallas Cowboys, I don't know what his credentials are for an offensive coordinator," said Namath, who lives in South Florida.

Namath suggested that Sparano was hired simply because he's a Bill Parcells disciple, as is Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

"This is the football fraternity, the coaching fraternity, the GMs, with their friends and all," Namath said. "That's basically what I think about Tony getting that job. But credentials as an offensive coordinator? I don't see it. I hope he's a great one, but I don't see it."

Namath made the comments on the 43-year anniversary of the Jets' historic win over the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III, which cemented his legend because of his famous guarantee.

Technically, Namath is correct, Sparano never has held the title of offensive coordinator, but he called plays for the Cowboys in 2006 -- under Parcells. That year, the Cowboys finished fourth in scoring and fifth in total offense.

From Dallas, Sparano went to Miami, where he was heavily involved in the offense but didn't call plays. In nearly four seasons, the Dolphins never finished better than 15th in scoring and 12th in total offense.

Sparano was hired Thursday to replace Brian Schottenheimer, a change that took about a New York minute. Namath defended Schottenheimer, calling him "the fall guy" for the Jets' disappointing 8-8 season. Namath said the offense was undermined by poor execution, not bad coaching.

"He's not a bad offensive coordinator by any stretch," Namath said. "Did anyone comment on the failure of (defensive coordinator) Mike Pettine after having his defense really go backward this year as opposed to the last two years?"

Namath may not be done with Schottenheimer, who will interview Friday for the coordinator job at Alabama, Namath's alma mater. Schottenheimer is thought to be the frontrunner for the job on Nick Saban's staff.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.
    Comment on this story

2. JetLagInCa

JetLagInCa Active Member

I'm convinced we'll never win a Championship while JN is alive. How much more can his liver last?

3. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

He thinks Schotty is a good OC What makes me think that? Calling pass plays two yards short of the first down marker, running the same plays out of the same formations so that the other teams know the plays before the snap? Stop running the ball when the defense can't stop it, never throwing the deep ball to spread the defense out, having your receivers end up within five yards of each other? Not giving any help to Hunter when he is facing the best pass rushers?

Now why would anyone believe him when he says that Sparano is not a good OC.

4. BlueDevil73

BlueDevil73 New Member

I liked him better when he was wasted all the time.

#4 BlueDevil73, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Well I have to be honest I'm not exactly thrilled with the hire either although a change needed to be made. I don't really know who exactly we could have brought in that would have been a good hire. The offense was stagnant and outside of Cavanuagh all the main culprits are gone. I think he'll be shown the door as well.

Namath brings up some valid points especially about Pettine, everybody is quick to fire shots at the offense but how many times did our D shit the bed in a big spot? I don't think Joe is that far off here and I quite honestly normally don't agree with anything he says.

I think of all this the thing that surprises me most is Schotty to Alabama? I think he'll be a great college coach but his style doesn't fit in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a head coaching job someplace soon in the college game.

6. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I'll let you know when I care about what the most overrated QB in the history of the NFL thinks.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yay, #1JF is back. Time for stories about sweaty Asian pool boys.

8. sg3

sg3 Banned

I think he fell head over heels in love with Schotty (and out of love with Suzy Kolber) when, at Cortland before the Hard Knocks cameras, Schotty let him blubber drunkenly about Sanchez' hand position on snaps being "golly gee wrong" and the Jets humored him for about half an hour about it before he retired in his baggy white shorts to partake at the libations at Dicks Fish Fry

the next day, Sanchez went back to using the same hand position that he and every other NFL quarterback have been using for centuries with considerable success

9. abyzmul

Dude, I got the same feeling. I wonder which player got to bang his daughter in the equipment room while that was going on?

10. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

sounds like a man who knows all about that.

11. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

go have another drink joe.

12. abyzmul

I just bought two grams of orange kush.

13. HOI

HOI Active Member

joe just wants to be "important"

14. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

it's the Joe Namath curse, he made a pact with the devil back in 69' & we've all been suffering since.

15. baamf

baamf Active Member

I agree, Joe made many good points during the segment. Sparano's not bringing some shining offensive resume with him, but we obviously needed a change and we (as is Joe) are hoping for the best. Like him or not (and I personally do), Namath doesn't pull any punches, basically calls it the way he sees it. Go back and read some of his comments from earlier in the year when every one was on here blasting him. You may just find out that he was spot on many times...

http://www.inquisitr.com/145861/joe-namath-rex-ryan-espn-michael-kay-show/

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-jets-wr-santonio-holmes-gm-mike-tannenbaum/1

16. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Maybe we should get up a hitman pool to take care of him for us? I'll put $5000 towards it.

17. sg3

sg3 Banned

I'd be much happier if the GREAT JET PLAYER in your avatar picture was our designated veteran spokesperson instead of the sad, bitter old drunk that Namath has degenerated into

18. abyzmul

Don't spend all of your 2012 Super Bowl betting money in one place, I hear the Jets could be a 50-1 shot this year, it might be your big break. Fleets of Thai ladyboy waitstaff don't come cheap. Gotta think of the bar. Priorities, sir.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Who gives a fuck.

20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I really don't like Joe Namath. Wasn't alive in 69 so I don't really feel he's done anything for me to see passed all of the bs that comes out his mouth. Its like the higher his pants keep getting the worse he gets.