JohnnyThaJet's Pre-Combine Jets Mock Draft (1.10.2012)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Jan 10, 2012.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Welp here we are, the Jets season is over and now we all have to focus on the offseason, draft, and regaining all of our psyche. Ive been waiting awhile to do a mock, waiting on prospects, bowl games, draft order, etc. I think in this draft we must go BPA according to our needs. So whatever OLB, OT, or WR there that is the clear and concise best available, they become a must draft.

Ive been saying it over and over I think this 8-8 season will be a blessing in disguise, we are a great team and from here on out we can only get better.

First off a few signings to make some sense to this draft:

Sign Kareem McKenzie or Levi Brown if he's cut (Stop gap, would be worth it on a 2 year deal)
    Sign Michael Griffin to 4 year 27 million dollar deal, 6.75 million per year (Could be less depending on his market value)
    Resign Plax one more year (same contract)
    Sign Leftwich to vet minimum
    Resign Pouha, LT, Leonhard, Maybin, Westerman, and Folk

Jets Mock Draft:

Round 1: Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois(sorry no scout tapes were available yet, this highlight tape isnt so bad.)
    [YOUTUBE]4wxQOaCPNF4[/YOUTUBE]

Mercilus is starting to grow on me day by day, not just because the hype he is starting to get but after watching tape of him and reading accredited scouting reports he has a skill set like no other 3-4 OLB prospect in this draft. If our main goal is to improve the pass rush, Mercilus is the best candidate to do so. He racked up an FBS high 16 sacks in his junior year at Illinois, one hell of an impressive feat. He has a plethora of pass rushing moves, including a fantastic spin move, active hands, great swim moves, and has some of the best speed I have seen this year from an edge rusher. I think rookies who come into the NFL have a hard time adjusting to getting around LTs because of the lack of these pass rush moves but like Aldon Smith I believe Mercilus can come in and instantly provide a great amount of pressure. I think after the combine this kids stock improves a lot but for right now I think 16 is a great spot.

Round 2: Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

[YOUTUBE]bXJKIE2jTL0[/YOUTUBE](same for the Sanu video, not many scout tapes, just highlights, but it does justice.)

I'd personally jumping for joy if we got this kid, he's one of my favorite prospects in the last few years and Ive seen him play countless times this year and last year when I go to Rutgers. Sanu has got everything youd want to see in a WR, height (6'2), superb hands, level headed, great blocker, extremely versatile (can line up in the slot, flank, wildcat), a threat to throw the ball, a possession WR, and a deep threat. He caught a Big East record 115 receptions for 1204 yards and 7 Tds (beating out Britt and Fitzgerald's former reception record). I could say more positive things about this kid but the list never ends. IMO Sanu can come in and start at #2, Im not so sure Id love to throw him into the fire, Id like to instead ease him into the process but eventually he will become one of Sanchez's favorite targets. The most impressive thing about Sanu besides his recent play he has only been playing WR for a few seasons, he was originally a safety, which means he has plenty of time to develop into a better prospect, which is scary for all teams that didnt draft him. His stock will go up for sure, but lets just hope this NJ native will be available to us at pick 47.

Round 3: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

[YOUTUBE]nvUVI6nZvak[/YOUTUBE]

Yes, the Jets would be getting flashy with this pick, and frankly I love it. With this pick our WR core goes from one of the worst in the league to one of the best all around. A depth chart of Holmes, Sanu, Plax, Broyles, and Kerley could do wonders for this team. Holmes providing excellent route running, Sanu provides great catches and that possession aspect that Mark needs, Plax who would be kept strictly for run plays and Red Zone plays, Broyles as the deep threat and acrobatic catcher, and Kerley as the main slot WR. Yeah its alot I know but this team hasn't had a premier WR core in awhile. The things that make teams great like the Packers, Steelers, or Saints besides their QB is their depth at WR. The Packers have a great core 1-5 as do the Steelers, and the Saints. Now we aren't a big time passing team by any stretch but in order to refine Sanchez's game I think we should supply him with a healthy amount of WRs. Now back to Broyles, he was hurt mid season for Oklahoma with a devastating ACL injury, which took his stock from the top of the draft to the lower level of the draft. I think his stock right now is about 4th to 5th at the highest but I have a feeling he will be able to show he still has it when he is fully healed. He was one of the best pass catching WRs in all of college, he had multiple 100+ reception seasons, had some amazing catches, and route running was simply on point. Now this pick is boom or bust but this team needs that. We need everything out of this core to get to the Superbowl. If we are going to take the handcuffs off of Sanchez we need to have a hell of a WR core.

Round 4: Antonio Allen, SS, South Carolina

[YOUTUBE]NOPyR-8T0Ic[/YOUTUBE]
    I am guilty of saying I wouldnt draft a safety in this draft for the Jets. I still dont have confidence in most of the top safeties but in the 4th I think we can take a risk. Ive been looking at a lot of safeties lately and Allen has impressed me probably the most out of any at his position besides Barron. Allen has a great skill set and I promise you will be hearing more about him soon enough. He is a sure tackler, can tackle inside the box, as great length, can line up in the nickel position, and cover man to man efficiently. He isnt exactly a ballhawking safety at all, hes more of a run defender, BUT I think with grooming time he can be a solid all around safety. Now he will be sitting on the bench but he can contribute very well on special teams and has the potential to replace Leonhard in time. Keep an eye out for this kid as he may move into the 3rd or even late 2nd come draft time.

Round 5: Josh Oglesby, OT, Wisconsin

[​IMG]

Now we finally get to Offensive Tackle. Oglesby is a very underrated player. He didnt get much playing time in 2010 because of a knee injury that ended his season. His biggest detriment to his game is his health. He hasnt had the best of health his college career but I think if he is groomed for a few years, gets that knee on track, and refines his game he could be a future starter IMO. He has all the skill sets youd want for a tackle, great size, nice footwork, decent blocking ability in the pass/run game, and filled with potential. He did a nice job at RT for the Badgers this season leading Montee Ball to a NCAA high 33 rushing TDS. He showed more signs of health this season which is a plus playing 12 out of 13 games and I believe is getting back on track. He could be drafted a round lower but 5th would probably be a good place to pick this kid up. I'd love to see what a new OLine Coach could do with him.

Round 6: Stephen Good, OG, Oklahoma

[​IMG]

Another OLine prospect! I love it. We need to add some depth to this Oline and get some prospects in the oven for the future. Good was once a big time high school prospect but never lived up to that at Oklahoma. Many dont see him getting drafted but I think in the 6th round he could be a big time sleeper. Many scouts and coaches have all said if this kid could study with a good NFL Oline coach, take time adjust his pass blocking skills, and improve on his average technique he can become something in the NFL. Now Im not saying hes a starter in the next year but as a versatile lineman who can play center, tackle, and guard I think he could become our next Rob Turner. Someone very valuable to the team eventually. He needs to do something in the combine to be drafted hear and I think he eventually will. Like a few other picks hes boom or bust but the boom factor outweighs the expenditure.

Round 6: George Bryan, TE, NC State

[​IMG]

Get Mulligan away from this team! We need a blocking TE on this team asap. And I think a late round prospect could be a great idea. Bryan is one of the better blockers in college football but also posses catching ability (33 receptions and 4 Tds in 2011). He's not much more than a #2 TE but I think in the later rounds he'd be a great choice to replace Mulligan if no vet TE is signed.

Sorry for making you read so damn much (If you actually read it hahaha). I wanted to provide everyone with a solid draft to talk about as well as some names you may not have heard of and some you may have and wanted to know more about. As always I am open to any criticism and all comments would be tremendously appreciated!

#1 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I like all of your players.

You know how I feel about Mercilus. Also, I would have no issue drafting Upshaw or Hightower in rd 1.

I'm leaning against drafting a WR in rd 1.

Round 2 I prefer Dwight Jones over Sanu, but not by much.

Broyles is going to be a great NFL player, I have a feeling some team is going to draft him in rd 2 if he checks out medically.

Alllen is a player on the rise.

George Bryan is an excellent fit, awesome blocker, needs to improve his offensive play, but still a solid player. I would like Stoneburner, he's a better weapon and a decent blocker.

With all the comp picks we might add a RB, someone like Bernard Pierce, a player I really like and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

Nice Effort!!!

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

As of now to me Mercilus has a lower round 1 grade. Great pick at the moment if your picking from 25-32 IMO. Not a top 16 pick YET but he could tear the combines up. Its a wait and see thing with me and Whitney. He could have a Gholston/JPP kind of rise where he is easily a top 15 or so pick. From what I read, he was the beneficiary of a relentless blitz package and defense that Illinois ran, essentially meaning that his assignment was strictly going after the QB and not much else. What this means is that he's raw in run stoppage and has some work to do on shedding off opposing OT's when it comes to the moves(Sounds similar to what the Jets have in Maybin only Mercilus is much bigger)

I am fine with a WR in round 2 or 3, just not both back to back. Broyles I can see as a round 2 lock if everything goes well for him and Sanu might make it into the top 35 as a hungry WR team like JAX could end up grabbing him.

Have not seen a whole lot of Allen but I would love it if Rambo of UGA was around come round 3. Seems like a real ballhawk in the secondary.

Cannot comment a whole lot on the O-Lineman and blocking TE but we can use all 3 so good job there.

4. JohnnyThaJet

Thanks WW, I wanted to draft Upshaw but I did that in my last mock and also have this HUGE feeling he will soon be a Bill or Cardinal come April. Now I favor him over Upshaw but I think Mercilus has a great combine, just slips to us, and our fans will finally get a starting OLB. Either one though Id love.

Eh, Dwight Jones is good but Sanu has really impressed me. I think he will go higher than 47 for sure but If him playing at Rutgers effects his stock hed be right around where we pick. Hes going to be a beast, I guarantee you that.

Many teams have been concerned about health issues for players coming into the NFL, many solid players werent drafted last year because of it. I think 3rd round for Broyles is perfect right now, I agree that a team like the Jags who are WR hungry could definitely get him in the 3rd as I see them going WR, DE, WR but if they dont and he gets to us we'd have a hell of a WR core.

Allen is a player a lot of people around here have to watch out for, hes a very solid strong safety prospect. If he can show some fluidity and speed in the combine I think he gets drafted in the 3rd.

Knew youd like Bryan, hes a great blocker, perfect for this team. I was going to put Stoneburner but Id rather get more names out to everyone on the board.

Thanks for the comments WW !

5. JohnnyThaJet

Mercilus is actually a solid run stopper, I agree he benefits from constant blitzing from Illinois but that shouldn't be a slight against him. He has made a considerable amount of tackles this year, most open field and solo. I think he will be eased into starting and taught to take better angles to the ball carrier once in the NFL. I promise he will impress. I just wonder whether or not he will look better than Upshaw.

I think Sanu's stock should rise but him playing at Rutgers could hurt him as much as I hate to say it. I think there is a decent chance he could be their in round 2 since the Jags SHOULD be picking WR 1st since I think they will sour on Coples.

Broyles stock is tricky, like I said previously many teams have gotten scared of players with bigger injuries. I think Broyles will be drafted in the 3rd since many teams wont want to take the risk in round 2. Come combine time everything should change.

I like Rambo , but I think he will get over drafted once someone takes Barron too high. Probably back end of the second. Keep an eye on Allen Baker, he will be a name you should hear a lot. Sorry I couldnt draft any ND players! :lol:

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

If this was our offseason, I would be pretty damn happy. WR is set for years to come, OLB is given a boost with Mercilus and Safety is set. I do think more could be done to help the OL, idk, Im just not a huge fan of signing a 33 year old stop gap player. Aside from that, I love it.

Sanu would be a great pick and Broyles would have a ton of value in the 3rd if medically cleared. I really like Antonio Allen. After watching the Bowl game for SC, he was the player that stuck out to me. I was looking for Melvin Ingram to impress, but this kid stole the show for me- he can cover well enough, and has good ball skills, but his tackling is very very good. I couldnt count how many times I saw him fly in and make a tackle on a run play behind the LOS or near it.

7. JohnnyThaJet

Thanks man, really appreciate the kind words. If Levi Brown was cut hed be a great pick up, before he got moved to LT he was doing very well at RT, at 28 hed be a nice signing. I think McKenzie has a chance to sign with us because he is settled in NY, the Giants may want to start Andrews, and he is familiar with the Jets. On a one or two year deal hed be perfect for what this team needs, hed be an upgrade at OT over Hunter, and we could draft another OT next year in the first two rounds to groom behind Mckenzie until he starts.

Allen is growing on me, he has really impressed me. His cover skills are shaky though , if he can improve on that he could eventually start. But in his rookie season I think he could be a top player on special teams. I want to see what he can do at the combine before I completely buy in.

8. thebrickwall423

thebrickwall423 New Member

The only thing I would like more is to possibly get an inside backer instead of a 2nd receiver. Maybe a guy like Nigel Bradham from Florida St. who can give us some sideline to sideline speed at that position, which is something we desperately need.

I understand the attractiveness of drafting Broyles if he is there, but if we bring back Holmes and Plax, we really only need to draft one receiver, which would give us 4 with Kerley, plus Keller. Not to mention Erron Riley is a guy who has some potential and can make the team as that 5th receiver.

9. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

Like the mock, don't love it. Broyles in the 3rd would be amazing value for him. And I'd much rather him in the slot over Kerley. Let Kerley be our 4th WR and primary punt returner. Even with signing a FA RT I'd rather get one higher than 5th to groom behind whoever it is we sign. And I agree with brickwall, I'd prefer an ILB over a 2nd WR. And I'd rather have Broyles in the 3rd then Sanu in the 2nd.

10. JohnnyThaJet

I think 5 great WRs wouldnt be bad for this team at all. Many great teams, as I stated, have great WRs 1-5. GB has Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Driver, and Cobb. NO has Colston, Moore, Henderson, Meachem, and Roby. The Steelers have Wallace, Brown, Ward, Sanders, and Cotch. Notice I didnt add any of the TEs in there. Now I know they all have elite QBs but what that depth in WR does for the QB is provide them with consistent play making ability on the field and no drop off essentially from the Bench. I think 5 great WRs would boost this team. And Plax would start, hed be a Red Zone threat guy and brought in on running plays. I think Sanchez would have a career year with that depth.

We have an Bellore and Mauga to groom for the inside, not that theyll start but I dont think drafting any ILB in the 3rd would either over Scott. I know many think so but Scott can still play and will still be on this team next year. I think if we got Upshaw though we could have options on whether to put him at ILB in the future or keep him outside. Something to look out for.

11. Lost on Revis Island

I think this kind of offseason puts us as right in the thick of things for the 2012 playoffs. I like the picks alot.
    You cant go wrong with Mercilus. I agree with what you said about him coming in with a nice set of pass rush moves and when its all said and done that is why we would be picking an OLB in round 1.
    I love the Sanu pick. Sanu like you said has even fully refined his WR skills yet. He did break Fitzgeralds catch record, he looks like a polished route runner, has great hands, and makes things happen once he has the ball in his hands. I would definately give him the #2 spot, as his to lose. Give him all the reps with the first team so he and sanchez can build that chemistry. LOVE IT!
    As for Broyles, i dont know much about him. You make him sound like a guy who brings the flash to the position and i am all for adding a guy like that to the offense. I dont know about the 3rd rd considering he is coming of an ACL injury. I personally would not go anywhere near the guy being 1 yr off ACL tear. if he proves to be healthy i wouldnt mid if they pulled the trigger on that. Personally I would like LaMichael James here. Dangerous and explosive playmaker, much like Broyles.
    Ill take your word on Allen here to. Ill keep an eye out for this guy. Not gonna lie im all for the SEC defenders, i just have this perception that they are NFL ready (whether its true or not). In our system, give me safties who complement each other who are smart and will be in the right spots, have good speed and can make tackles. I dont need the flashy stuff here, just fundamentals.
    I like Oglesby here. He has the make up to be a starting RT in this league. He has experiance in a run first offense. Not a week 1 starter but with ur FA signing he dosent need to be. Wish we still had Callahan to school this guy tho.
    Dont know much about Good, but its good you went for the OL depth late in the draft. If he grades out and can play all those spots at the NFL level as a backup, well worth the pick.
    Bryan is a dominant blocker out there. If it translates, and i think it will, he would be the perfect #2 TE for the time being. This also means we can throw away the garbaged commonly known as Mulligan.

Only real complaint would be bring plax back and grabbing two WR early in the draft. I see where your coming from but to me it seems like to much overcrowding and we know how some guys react when they dont get the ball as much as they would like.

Great job and thanks for the info about the prospects. keep it coming. What are some of your other options you like in the first 3-4 rounds?

12. JohnnyThaJet

Sanu is a beast, Id rather have him than any other WR besides Blackmon, Jeffery, and Floyd. I am telling you he will do wonders in the NFL. He is still growing as a wideout and look was hes been able to do thus far? Broyles is more of a luxury but like I said above Id rather have another target for Sanchez then a third round RT who couldnt start yet or a ILB who will sit the bench.

Oglesby is a great grooming prospect, wait and see, if his knee holds up well he can be a starter in the future, I truly believe that. I think we have to sign a stop gap at RT this year. We cant afford to start a rookie and there are a lot coming out next year who could provide us with great Talent, the likes of Fluker, Wagner, Jones, Nixon, etc. One will end up later in the round we will be drafting and could very well start coming out.

13. JohnnyThaJet

Thanks for the comments.

If you hadnt heard of Broyles, ill give you these stat lines before he was hurt, see what you think, 131 receptions 1622 yards 14 TDs in 2010. 89 receptions 1120 yards 15 TDs in 2009. AND before he got hurt 83 receptions 1157 yards 10 TDs in 9 games. This wasnt all done in a shit conference it was done in the Big 12 a pretty damn good conference. Broyles was considered the #3 or #4 WR in the draft before he got hurt. Thats why he holds so much value.

For the 3rd and 4th Id say Id look at guys like Levy Adcock, Jeff Fuller, Blake DeChristopher, Andrew Datko, and if somehow he is there (probably wont be) Zebrie Sanders. All OTs and one WR Id look to draft in the third if Broyles isnt there with this current draft.

14. thebrickwall423

thebrickwall423 New Member

I agree that an ILB wouldn't start this year over Scott, but Bellore and Mauga are nothing more than special teams players and Scott won't be back in 2013 and it would be nice to have his replacement on the roster. We need to inject athletes into our LB corp and I think its more important to draft 2 linebackers than 2 wide receivers.

Upshaw is an interesting case and his versatility is one of the reasons I like him over Mercilus, even though I would love either. But upgrading our linebackers has to be a priority and the best way is through the draft.

15. JohnnyThaJet

WR is just as bad as LB is this year maybe even worse.

Our Current Wideouts are:
    1. Holmes
    2. Kerley
    3. Payne
    4.Riley

That is just BAD. Compared to our LBs where Harris, Pace, and Scott arent so bad I think WR becomes the need over LB if an OLB is taken 1st. I think along with OT we should draft out starter next season, someone like Tom Wort, Kevin Reddick, or Manti Teo. All could be great players.

Broyles has big time potential punt returning and as a WR. An ILB like Jerry Franklin or Tank Carder would just be special teams guys. I only see potential in the top ILBs this year, its not to filled with other solid players like last year.

#15 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  16. casman02

casman02 New Member

I would not complain at all if this were the actual draft.
    Picks 1-3 I find hard to argue against.
    I have stated before that I am not huge on Allen. Like you stated he is more of a run first guy and not a ballhawk. I would try to go other way around and see about drafting a ballhawk who you could develop into an all around guy.
    OLs from Wisconsin are always a good choice.
    Not sure on Good. Only reason I question it is I wonder what the Jets plan to do with that Caleb Schlauderaff(sp?) kid. I was hopeful he would fill the role. If the Jets do not re-sign Strick or Cole I could see them going DB.
    I like the Bryan pick or pretty much any pick that replaces Mulligan.

17. JohnnyThaJet

I think a vet CB is a better option than a rookie CB for us to sign, someone just a little better than Strick.

Allen was drafted because we got that ballhawk type signed with Griffin. Allen would be drafted to back up Jimmy/fill in for Jimmy on certain plays at SS. Good and Caleb would battle for backup guard in training camp.

Bryan is a great blocker and pass catcher. Very underrated.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

nice work Johnny. I would be very happy with this haul. As some ahve pointed out Sanu at 47 may be a no go, but I'd love it if he made it there.

It addresses OLB, and Receiver very well while adding some depth to the Oline. I love taking Bryan late. I still have hopes for Cumberland and Baker, but this is a very good blocking option.

19. JohnnyThaJet

Thanks Harp.

Sanu most likely wont be available at 47 unless some prospects drop. I still have hope though that he does, hes one of my favorite players coming out and truly believe in his capability to play in the NFL.

I tried addressing every position I felt was truly needed, I appreciate the recognition. Bryan is better than Baker as a blocker and a pass catcher, I truly believe that. I like Cumberland a lot, if he gets healthy and comes back playing well he will be utilized big time on the two TE set pass plays. Probably switching back and forth with Keller and keeping Bryan at blocker or block and release.

#19 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  20. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

If not for the first round guy coming from illinois I would swear you chose only guys from teams that fit a red/maroon and white color sceam. what do you go to Rutgers or someother red/white school?

in terms of draft I think safety is one of our top two needs, TE killed us all year and we could not adjust within the roster to stop it. If Mercilis is not there why not take the best safety? or address it earlier in the draft.

#20 kbgreen, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012