Can the Jets be fixed in one off season? Many holes to fill..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Jan 9, 2012.

1. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

Watching the Giants mimic our team of the past two seasons by catching fire at the right time has me depressed at the thought that our window might have closed after last years playoff loss in Pitt.

I think we can all agree the 2011 Jets were brutally boring to watch. I cant remember off the top of my head one season defining play, an exciting stretch of games for that matter, one worthwhile game. Contrast that with the Jets of the past two seasons and the drop-off in talent and excitement is striking. Gone were the bombs to Braylon, the exotic blitz packages on 3rd down or the punishing run game to finish off the opponent in the fourth.

What happened? The obvious yet difficult answer to stomache is we just arent that good. The jets have many holes to fill and scarce recourses to fill them.

It is argueable that the jets need upgrades at RB/WR/RT/LG OLB/ and both Safety positions.

Hard to believe that just this time last year everyone was raving about how many weapons we had with Braylon, Holmes, Cotchery, Keller, Greene and LT. One off-season later, minus Bray and Cotch and the results speak for themselves.

Are we more than one off-season away from competing again?

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

"the jets need upgrades at RB/WR/RT/LG OLB/ and both Safety positions"

I just covered a similar issue on the FA thread. I tend to agree with this list, except for RB and LG, not that I am a fan of Slauson, but he's not the worst situation on the OL be a long shot. I also think the Jets will conclude that no roster move is obvious at RB other than bringing LT back on a one year deal, since they will tell themselves it was poor OL play and the lack of an effective threat by Sanchez in the passing game that most hurt the running game.

So, two safeties, one tackle, a speedy outside linebacker are the key necessary moves. Add in bringing back Edwards, and get Turner back from IR, and also needing a new punter as well as the place kicker, and that's hardly an impossible task.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You can never fill all the holes in one off season and every NFL team has holes.

4. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

i hope tannenbaum can swallow his pride and admit that he made a mistake by letting braylon get away and attempt to resign him. All one has to do is put on a highlight reel of his explosive plays the last two seasons to realize what was the main missing ingredient last season

5. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Every team will have holes and hopefully we address enough of them.

RT
    Pass rusher
    safeties
    and a WR that can stretch the field

6. Big Blocker

What might make that easier is if, as is likely, Edwards agrees to less money than he was after before the Jets ended negotiations.

7. Pustelnik

Pustelnik New Member

I dont think we are especially close to being a contender again, and to me leadership seems to be lacking in a big way. This might be because we during the last seasons have lost A LOT of leaders, that kept this team together.

From the 2009 roster we lost:
    Thomas Jones, Washington, Faneca, Jenkins(inj) , Marques Douglas, Kerry Rhodes, Lowery.

And from 2010 roster:
    Edwards, Jason Taylor, Shaun Ellis, T-Rich, Cotchery, Brad Smith,Woody, Bryan Thomas(inj),

That is a lot of veterans, and allthough they were not all great leaders, the vacuum left behind, puts a lot pressure on the remaining players. (Sanchez, Mangold, D-brick, Santonio, Scott, Harris, Pace, Revis)

We seem more like a rebuilding franchise, than a contender.

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Matt Slauson is young and played well this season. He played better then Brick a number of games.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

yes as long as the players you select to fill those holes are upgrades...they need to have a good draft and a very solid FA signing period. If they weren't so stuck on NA last off season Johnathan Joseph could have been in NY this season. The offensive line was set going in -- they had no depth but it was Hunter or bust and that can't happen again.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This team is not as bad as people think. They will contend for the playoffs next year, without a doubt.

Our needs are WR, RT, OLB and S. Its possible they can all be addressed.

11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Agreed, they can't just add body's they need to make sure the fills are upgrades.

That said this team isn't going anywhere unless the QB grows into the role he should have assumed this year. Its time for Sanchez to step up or step aside. The defense has carried this team more times than not since Rex got here, that needs to balance out. Beyond QB play the play calling needs to improve as well. You can't throw passes 5yds short of the sticks on 3rd down and expect the receiver to make up the difference. You can't be so predictable that people with alzheimers can recognize the play about to be run.

#11 No Fly Zone, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  12. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I agree with this, including the orger of priority. We need depth at OL as well. If Bob Turner comes back healthy, he can backup the C and G positions. I'd like to see a few pass rushers, including some speedy LB's who might be able to cover TE's.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

A really good QB hides a lot of blemishes. Other than that we are getting old so it won't be easy to fix.

14. Big Blocker

Hm. Well there's LT, but he's presently in a change of pace role, so that's not major. Moore seems to be getting up there, and Burress will probably not be back. On D, who is particularly old? I would concede Scott is probably past his career peak, and Thomas is, too, but he won't be back most likely. Sott though actually played well for the most part. Who else is too old?

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

It can be done. Tanny just has to recognize the holes/problems that exist on the team (first starts with a new OC) and then address them.

Safety can and must be addressed by FA- Michael Griffin, Dashon Goldson, Tyvon Branch, Reggie Nelson and Tanard Jackson. 5 immediate upgrades. The 1st two I listed would be my primary targets. Either would add youth, speed, athleticism and would be a tremendous addition to the defense.

WR can be addressed through the draft (IMO not in the first because of the depth) or in FA- Robert Meachem, Braylon Edwards or Mario Manningham would be additions that would add the dimension of a deep threat.

OLB I would look to the 16th overall pick- Courtney Upshaw, Whitney Mercilus or Melvin Ingram.

There are mixed opinions on this forum of what to do at RT- FA or the draft. In FA, Kareem Mackenzie seems to be the favorite. Im not a huge proponent of signing a 33 year stop gap player. I would rather look to the draft and sure up the line for many years, not just one. Round 2 or 3- Zebrie Sanders, Mike Adams or Matt Reynolds.

RB is probably the trickiest position. There are a few TOP tier RB’s in FA or we could test our luck in the later rounds once again.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Anything can happen from one year to the next. We're set at a lot of positions, too. Every team has to retool every season, we're not that far away. Eliminate a few mistakes and we're right where we've been the first two years with Rex.

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Personally I would put a bit more emphasis on a WR that is a deep threat, but other than that I agree. I think we can be a playoff team next year for sure. I think we may have overachieved the last two years but think we underachieved this year. Fill a few gaps here and there and I think we'll be good to go next year. Not Superbowl good to go but at least playoff bound.

18. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I think it is possible to address all the holes this offseason. The larger question is will Tanny see the needs as we do and how well will he address those needs? Even if he makes great moves to add FAs and draft just the right players, it will all be undone if the Jets don't have a new OC and QB coach, and Rex doesn't become more of a disciplinarian and demand accountability and an end to all the stupid penalties from his players.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Exactly what I’m saying. Agree 100%

In order to start this offseason off right, changes on the offensive staff must be changed. Then the rest lays on Tanny and the FO seeing the holes and accepting them instead of staying ignorantly blind to them.

20. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

The whole leadership thing is the biggest load of #### to me!!!!! Kills me.

Giants had no leaders in week 3.... Giants had no leaders in 2007 in week 9... jets had No leaders last year mid season.... Funny how teams go from leader-less to not being a subject or heck "Great Leaders" Weekly in the NFL..

Winning Cures all....

If this offense clicked and executed properly then Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez would be doing that stupid Fly Boys Dance all over the stadium and would be great buddies... The 50 million dollar man didn't get the balls HE SHOULD GET - and everyone knew that when you pay a guy like that and he doesn't get his catches #### will happen -And that goes for A LOT of the diva / top Wr's in this league.

Faneca was done and retired...

JT was a hold the fort guy.

Thomas Jones book was closed when we repeated in the playoffs.

Jenkins - Injured

Rhodes - Douche.

Ellis - Got 5 mil and did squat

Cotchery wanted out

Woody said he decided to retire during the lockout..

I was talking to a Giants fan this weekend who was mocking the Jets as the team that goes out and gets the name guys and that's it and how they would go for Manning cuz "that's what that do"....

I don't agree - I think most of these guys were FA's to begin with, hold the fort guys and Salary cap issues - Braylon is -probably the one I'd want back and he was injured - I don't see a lot of talent that makes a difference this past year.....