McElroy killing the Jets locker room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 4, 2012.

1. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

McElroy was a game manager in Bama. He had the benefit of handing the ball off to Mr. Heisman and watching the defense set him up or score for him.

2. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Gotta disagree with you, strongly in fact. Fans should feel free to voice their opinions on any fan site and shouldn't be intimidated by bullies who try to ridicule and intimidate them. This place is much better recently than it's been in a while. No one on this site works for an NFL club. No one is an "expert". As in any crowd, some may be more knowledgeable than others, but that doesn't make them better or give them the right to act like jerks and ridicule others. If we read something we disagree with, it's fine to disagree and state reasons why we disagree, but it should never get personal.

3. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Why is it the last thing the team needs? How exactly does it hurt the team? If anything, it should help as otherwise Woody may never learn about it. Now that he does he can question Tanny and Rex as to what happened and why, ask how they are going to fix these problems, and relate to them what his expectations are. It's the only way for these kinds of things to be addressed. It's all too easy when things get swept under the carpet, for the HC or GM just to let them go and not do anything.

It's not McElroy's job to deal with these issues, but rather the HC's and the GM's. Why would selfish veterans listen to a rookie anyway? To begin with, how do we know that McElroy didn't say something to them and they told him to butt out or STFU??? Maybe he said something to Rex and it was ignored. In this way, he insured that attention would be brought to the problem. Sounds to me like he cares a lot more about this team than some of its fans and maybe its HC.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Seen him do what? Take over for Sanchez? That would have NEVER happened

5. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

He looked good in the pre-season before he got hurt. He also played four years in college, unlike Sanchez's one. I have to disagree with other people who say he just handed the ball off in college. He is an accurate thrower, makes good decisions, and is surprisingly quick and mobile on roll outs and scrambles. Alabama played a pro-style offense and I believe he has the potential to develop into a very good qb, if given the chance (with a decent OC - not Shottenheimer).

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

That's moronic. The two are not mutually exclusive.

7. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Wasn't this the very reason why Mangini got fired?

8. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

That's moronic. The two are not.....

is there an echo here? :breakdance:

Holmes "quitting" on National TV does not equate to McElroy revealing what goes on BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

he had the pulse of the team, it was that they and everyone in the organization hated him because he was such a jerkoff... he just didnt care.

but we cant talk about that, mangina will not allow us to talk about that.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mangini got fired because his team quit down the stretch after starting out looking like a sure fire playoff team. He'd also made some real mistakes earlier, like all the self-promotion after 2006, and getting into power struggles in the locker room with people who were going to be gone in a year or two anyway.

Pete Kendall was a guy who wasn't going to be on the Jets past 2007 anyway. Why Mangini had to try to publicly humiliate him before he shipped him out of town is just not clear. To take the player rep and start messing with him like that over chump change was just stupid. It blew Mangini's credibility in the locker room and 2007 turned into a nightmare for him.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

No. He was fired for sucking. He coached the team poorly down the stretch.

12. sg3

sg3 Banned

since this was first reported by FOX, it is probably total baloney

13. Jetsfan11

Jetsfan11 New Member

McIlroy has balls. I like that in a QB

14. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

That was gay

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. Braylon4ever

^ Dude.... :lol:

17. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

I disagree with notions of a 'wall of silence'...be it corrupt police or john tortorella criticizing the nhl refs...or a player speaking up about a shit lockerroom atmosphere.
    all this stuff needs to be brought out into the light. no matter how painful in the short-term, in the long-term the team will be better for it. that's why any good manager appreciates a critical eye on an outspoken subordinate to a yes-man. Of course, shit-talking is a different story. I'm assuming McElroy is being honest and wants the best for the team long-run.
    that's my opinion, anyhow.

18. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

McElroy did everyone a favor putting that out there. I think the coaching staff and FO were in a state of denial as to how dysfunctional that locker room really was. And even though he's a 3d string rook, I think he has just as good of an understanding (maybe better from some reports) of this offense as Sanchez.

He's also probably the smartest guy on the team, he knew what he was doing when he put that out there on the radio. I think it was premeditated. We'll see what changes, if any, are made here in the next few months.

19. Braylon4ever

I understand your point but this is the way things are in the world :

There's always going to be the "wall of silence", whether it's through the Police, media(with its unnamed sources), sports referees, and NFL LockerRooms(where things stated in-house should stay in-house). That's not going to change; we have to DEAL WITH IT.

I also think that as much as we'd all like to know EXACTLY what was said in the Locker Room, there's still a degree of PRIVACY that the Players should be afforded. I mean they constantly get microphones shoved in their faces when they leave the locker room. That room should be a safe-haven away from prying eyes and ears, IMO.

I don't think you, I, or anyone else would like it if someone started eavesdropping on a personal conversation we're having with someone and went and BLABBED about it to people whom we don't want(or don't need) to know 'cause it's NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

This is basically what McElroy did. Regardless of whether all of it was apparently true, going on Live Radio and actually blabbing everything to the ENTIRE WORLD wasn't exactly the smart thing to do. Remember that "wall of silence" comment you made earlier? I wouldn't be shocked to see McElroy looking for new employment elsewhere 'cause that's how things operate these days. You break the unwritten code of silence, you get broken, Period.

If he's the smartest guy on the team, then the whole team's pretty dumb.

Getting on Live Radio and blabbing about In-House business that should always remain PRIVATE isn't just NFL 101...It's Common Sense 101.

#419 Braylon4ever, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  20. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

braylon, i wasnt talking about gossiping or 'blabbing'...i was talking about reporting/escalating problems. you misunderstand me. of course everyone has a right to their privacy. what i mean is, where there's a problem standing in the way of progress, it should be exposed. even if it makes people uncomfortable. i guess i wasn't clear.