Jets free agents: who should we keep?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

As usual info taken from -> http://www.nyjetscap.com/freeagents.html

Sione Pouha: Our most expensive re-signing probably. This guy is a must to have at NT. Also a team captain. We need him back. No Kenrick Ellis bullshit as he has done nothing this year.

LaDainian Tolminson: I want him back for two reasons. 1) He is still capable of producing as a 3rd down back. 2) He is the ONLY leader we have on offense... the ONLY one. Without him we're screwed. Also I'm not a McKnight fan and he will not be the safety blanket LT is for Sanchez, at least not next year.

Robert Turner: I really like him as a C/G and I think we missed him greatly this season. If Callahan goes somewhere I expect he goes with him, otherwise I hope he stays.

Brodney Pool: Would like him back, if anything because of how shitty our situation is in the secondary.

Donald Strickland: Good for depth at DB. Vet min I suppose...

Jim Leonhard: Depends on the money he's asking. A leader but coming from 2 serious injuries. Having played his whole career under Rex I'd expect him to give the Jets a hometown discount. If he does welcome back, otherwise bye bye Jimmy. (we might not have the money to re-sign him to begin with).

Kevin O'Connel: Who cares. If he's our 3rd string QB so be it... but I'm not all that interested really.

Bryan Thomas: Old, serious injury, needed an upgrade to begin with. Bye Bye.

Mark Brunell: Time to retire and become a QB coach. Maybe our QB coach?

Plaxico Burress: Good season but not worth the 3 mill. Also not really a high character guy... bye bye.

Nick Folk: Too unreliable on easy kicks. Bye bye.

Restricted FAs:

Marquice Cole: ST ace. a must re-sign.

Jamaal Westerman: Not going to cost much and proved he belongs on this team. as a ST player in particular but also in some packages with the D.

Patrick Turner: Progressing nicely.

Aaron Maybin: Of course I want him back, didn't realize he was a RFA.

Exclusive Rights FAs:

Martin Tevaseau: Who cares. Coaches love him though so I guess that's a good sign.

Ellis Lankster: Who cares.

Matthew Mulligan: Die in a fire bitch.

#1 Mambo9, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Agree on all of them 100%.

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Agree'd except Byran Thomas... Everyone bitched about how we could'nt set the edge in the running game he was a huge part of that

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Please tell me your name is Mike Tannenbaum... :)

He's still old and coming off a serious injury though...

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you nailed it.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

The dude is 33 coming off a huge leg injury. He'd be more of a liability than help at this point. We need to bring in youth and speed... Whitney Mercilus or Courtney Upshaw

7. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Agree on all, especially the part about Mulligan.

8. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Keep All the green names definitely. I'd like BT and jimmy back if the prices are ok.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Agree with the OP - would be really nice to have Jim back assuming there is some talent across from him at safety

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

It all seems so simple, but so complicated that the genius Tanny will end up fucking it up...

Obviously I hope not, but he needs a more than great offseason to fix this shit that we call a team right now.

11. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

We have never drafted a yound stud OLB what makes u think it will change bring back Bryan for insurance this team has long noted its need at LB and here we are still with no YOUNG EXPLOSIVE LB at any spot so please your argument is null n void

12. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Pool and Thomas should be goners. Pool sucks. He gives little effort at times. He should have played his way out of town. Thomas is too old, slow, is coming off a major injury and will probably cost too much. Even if he were willing to come back for the veteran minimum, I don't think I'd want him because Tanny and Rex probably would do nothing to address the OLB position if he did.

13. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I'm very interested to see what kind of offer they tender Maybin. He disappeared the last month of the season but he's also a guy that clearly made HUGE strides and isn't done developing. In my opinion, getting a Mercilus or Upshaw in the draft would only serve to help a guy like Maybin so teams aren't keying on him.

14. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I agree with most but also disagree with some others.

The Folk one is questionable, He misses easy kicks but he also kicks in the clutch, a rare commodity. I think I only get rid of him if we have a FA kicker lined up.

Here are a few I would consider, although they have a big chance at resigning with there former team:

Phil Dawson
    Neil Rackers
    Rian Lindell
    Jay Feely ( A big maybe though since his leg has been pretty lacking lately, he barely hits from 45 and out.)

15. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

We need Leonard back his impact isnt flashy but he gets the job done with all the calls he makes. Pool can leave and LT is a gamer but he needs to come on the cheap and be willing to take even fewer carries, McKnight needs to be given more playing time.

16. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Have to say I agree with the OP though wouldn't mind if Folk was back unless we could find someone better. I also think it's good to see someone else appreciate the value of LT to the offense and to the team. I like how he was used this year and think he can be a valuable leader on the team though I would caveat this by saying I wouldn't overpay too much to keep him.

17. JoeWillyGod

JoeWillyGod New Member

swap leonhard for pool but do agree we dont need both. also I would keep Thomas good locker room guy and good against the run ... apparently we need help with both

18. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I dont know if I would feel comfortable bringing Jimmy back unless he REALLY took a big hometown discount. He is an overrated player to begin with in my opinion. MOST importantly, they need to keep in mind that if they do bring him back that the position is one that still needs an upgrade.

19. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I agree that bringing him back is a must, but he's not a dominant NT. He holds his space, but he's a non-factor in passing situations and he doesn't penetrate the line and disrupt plays.

Again, I agree, but how much are they gonna have to pay an old RB with a ton of mileage on his legs, injuries, and his only real value is passing downs.

Yes, his versatility to play multiple positions on the line is great as a depth player. And considering we have practically no useful backups at the moment...

He's terrible...but then again so are the rest of the safeties on the team. I would much rather find a replacement than bringing him back.

If he doesn't cost anything, sure. But again, not a guy that'd be hard to replace, IMO.

He's way overrated, and if it wasn't because he's already so familiar with Rex's scheme, I wouldn't want him back either. Guy makes a nice tackle now and then, but he also whiffs like crazy. He's a statue in coverage and can't handle TE's for shit.

Jets have no depth at QB, let alone anyone close to challenging Sanchez. They need to bring in someone better as backup.

I like BT because he's steady in the run game and actually pretty solid in pass coverage (ironic since he was drafted for his passrushing ability, of which he's completely useless for in the NFL).

Jets already have a QB coach, and I don't think either have made much of an impact considering Sanchez's shittiness.

The guy can catch TDs. I say keep him as a 3rd WR (assuming the Jets can actually find a respectable 1 and 2).

I don't think he's exactly a liability, and probably not a big priority if they can't find anyone better.

Both yes for ST reasons...not much else. Maybin is a much more effective passrusher than Westerman.

I honestly don't care if he's brought back or not. They can easily find someone else with similar production. Question is if he comes cheap enough.

He's our only passrushing threat, so yeah.

These players don't matter.

20. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Folk consistently is in the bottom of the league in field goal percentage. He has to go.