McKnight & Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeSLTJ23, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Maybe.... I think it's pretty clear that the Jets should address RT, WR, S and OLB in the draft this year, though. Those are more clear, definite needs. I think our RBs are actually pretty legit.... it comes down to the OL.

2. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

2.5 million?!?! We paid him 1.1 this year.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Tannenbaum had a terrible off-season and definitely set us back heading into the season. Which really didn't help considering we had the shortened offseason.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Do you draft Trent Richardson if he is available?

Straight up BPA

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I guess if a OLB,S would be a big reach there, yes? I mean I'm not a college guy, but would Trent drop to 15?

6. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

We CANNOT draft a RB unless it is someone who has legit #1 RB potential. We have taken a RB each of the last 3 years (Greene, Mcknight, Powell) and personally, I feel none of them can carry the load. At this point I would really look into trading Greene while he still has a lot of value to some teams as a young RB who can compliment a speed back well and isn't paid a lot. If Powell can bulk up a little more I think he can be similar to Greene, and I definately would like to see Conner get the rock a little more.

7. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Yes sir...$2.5 million. I think he's earned it. Then again, that's what I would pay him. My guess is the Jets come at him with something between the $1.1 we paid him this year and $1.8. The Jets DO need him in the locker room next season...if for anything his leadership and example alone. ESPECIALLY if they intend/have to bring Holmes back.

8. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

I hope Rex and Tanny don't do anything stupid like throw a lot of money at Ray Rice or Matt Forte.

RB is the absolute last piece of the puzzle you try to fit in, and right now we have a lot of missing peices.

If LT moves on, bring in another relatively low cost veteran to bolter the RB corps. I wish Willis McGahee was going to be available. Someone like that would have been perfect.

9. Browstains

Browstains New Member

I think Mcknight could be awesome... if we run him to the outside and use him on third downs more often. I'd also love to see LT back for another year... mainly for his leadership because this team is in serious need of someone after RR sheddin tears aha.

Greene i don't know about.. I personally don't like him

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I feel that McKnight and Greene could get it done, but as you said McKnight has mistakes too often (fumbling) and that must be fixed immediately. I would also love to see LT back for next season, if there is a captain to be named (i know there isnt because Rex said so but still) it would be LT he just has all the intangibles and isnt a complete jackass.

11. TomlinsonRockNGreen

TomlinsonRockNGreen New Member

Greene is a great backup RB to chip away at a tired D. We need an all around back and one with great speed to have a two headed monster like the Panthers have to open things up for Sanchez. Maybe Montee Ball or Trent Richardson. Or maybe Ray Rice or Matt Forte in free agency but we definitely don't have the backs to lead the league in rushing right now. I hope LT comes back for leadership and pass protection as well.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Unfortunately none of this will happen if Schotty is at the Helm. It will be McKnight up the middle every other play and Greene to the outside and catching passes.

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The 4 backs should be Greene, Mcknight, Powell and the terminator. I would have no problem with bringing back Tomlinson for another year. I have zero interest in drafting another RB.

If the Jets actually have a passing offense that stretches out a defense then the running game will work that much better.

14. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

The problem that I see is that we have 3 RB's, all with shortcomings. Greene... is he a powert RB or a 3 down back? He lacks power to break tackles, isn't shifty and has questionable hands. He has improved in the blitz pickup. LT still has something in the tank, but is a CoP thrid down RB at this point.

McKnight is fast, but not blazing. He goes down pretty easilly, is mistake prone (fixable) but sure isn't a GL RB. Not a 3 down RB. I don't trust him to protect the QB's blind side either.

Can this collection become a top five rushing offense again, even if we get an upgrade at RT? I don't see it.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The combination of Greene and McKnight isn't going to be enough, and if Bilal Powell is really a turd, then we need another cutback runner or another power back. Because Greene is injured so much that we just can't count on him to be there for a full season, or if he is, he'll be completely inconsistent because of those injuries, like he was this season.

And LT is as good as gone.

16. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Yeah, it was.

That's not to say you aren't correct that they abandoned it too soon, but having the whole right side of the line underperform was the cause of a lot of our woes in both the passing and running game.

Stats on this are pretty telling. The Jets line gave up 40 sacks (20th) while ranking 22nd in rushing.

Compared to the 2010 stats the Jets ranked 4th in rushing and gave up only 28 sacks. You don't have that kind of drop off without it having a major impact on your offensive production.

#36 Struckanerve9, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'd bring back LT if the money makes sense. He showed he still has some left in the tank, not much but enough. Maybe give him a bit more to do like they did in that last game of the season there. I didn't count or anything but seemed like he was getting significantly more carries than in previous games.

Greene is okay, not a star RB by any means but he had a decent year even with the crappy play calling and iffy OL at times.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

But it wasn't Greene that was inconsistent. Even when he had messed up ribs he tore it up. It was the line and playcalling. You can't blame Greene for being used constantly on pass plays instead of power runs, when that should be LTs dept. Get rid of Schotty, fix the line, and Greene will have a great season next year. I guarantee it, and btw >1000 yards isn't bad at all for a guy that was poorly used.

19. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Good thing this is your "humble opinion". Let me point out the flaws.

LT is DONE- and he has been done for several years. In an era where good RBs average close to 5 ypc, LT has only rushed for better than 4 ypc ONE season since 2007 (4.2) Even THAT stat is compounded by the fact that as primarily a 3rd down back, he's going to get a lot of opportunities to run the ball against passing defenses. His YPC should easily be close to 5 rather than UNDER 4 as it has for most of the last 4 years.

Greene - is a very solid NFL RB - He's your version of BJGE only he occasionally fumbles and doesn't have as good a nose for the end zone. Definitely someone to start with, but less than ideal for a team that runs your offense. I'd be happy with him on the Pats in their offense if BJGE walks

McNight - Here is were you go completely off the track - Like I said in an era where 5 ypc is the mark of a good RB - McKnight's ypc is 3.1 This isn't good in any scenario. Granted he has only 44 carries in 2 years, and he COULD become a very good RB - but to put ANYTHING other than random hope on Joe McNight is delusion. And if that doesn't dissuade you, consider the fact that he is a HORRIBLE pass blocker (one of the reasons he don't get much time), and he fumbles every 14 times he touches the ball

The good news is that quality Shonne Greene/BJGE type RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. The Jets have to dump LT an add 2 more them to Greene and hope McKnight can develop into a 3rd down back as good as Danny Woodhead.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Greene's vision and instinct leave a lot to be desired. His cutbacks aren't that effective, and when a hole closes up, his change of direction is terrible. He's a North-South runner who is finally coming into his own as a dump-off man, but he tends to try to run over bigger defenders, and ends up injured half the time because of it.

And when he's injured, he still tries to run over bigger defenders, and gets folded up like a deck chair, and injured worse. There were many times this season where I didn't expect him to get up at all.

I don't know where you get the idea that he's been 'tearing it up'. He struggled early in the season and line or no line, he has no ability to improvise. None. If the hole isn't there, the play is dead. He showed flashes early on of ability to bounce/spin off of tackles, but that ability disappeared. I don't know if they coached it out of him, or if he just stopped playing that way on his own, but it's not there anymore.

It took him 16 games to hit 1000 yards. And by the time he got there, it looked like he needed a MASH unit to take him off of the field. We need another power back if they want to return to a punishing ground game.