Chance Kept Shotty b/c Nervous Any Upgrade Wouldn't Want To Come Here?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenBlood, Jan 3, 2012.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Member

Is there a chance that they kept Shotty because front office nervous that anyone better wouldn't want to come here in current team situation and Rex, Sanchez, Holmes et al? Also could be a PR disaster if they got turned down by top coach talent?

2. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I don't think so. New York is a huge media market. Any coach would lick his chops to come here and turn a team around and be the savior. It's all about the money and the opportunity.

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

umm no.

It;s a fucking NFL job. It's not like we are Penn State. The Jets are knocking at Lombardi door. We got to fix some kinks (schotty, oline, WR, s, d line, linebackers)

Schotty will be gone soon, I promise.

4. akibud

akibud Active Member

I'm bewildered by the show of confidence yesterday and was quite taken aback by the FO seeming like they had no issues with the CS. That being said, it is obvious then that the offensive problems as they see it, is with the O' line. So, we'll go ahead and try to address the O' line this off season. They should also address safety, linebackers and DL on defense. On offense, they should also look at RB and WR.. That list to me says the talent on the Jets team is mediocre and they need a lot of help to get back to the AFC title game and move beyond that.

5. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

They're keeping Schotty here because Woody refuses to pay Schotty nearly $4M owed on his contract.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

No, also because a former head coach or current assistants know they can come here and have full control of the offense. That is something I feel like would draw people to want to come here.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Maybe they guy they want is still working, and they don't want to push the market higher.

8. akibud

akibud Active Member

..well, I for one am just happy that I never had any chance of even thinking about buying season tickets for the team. I would be so pissed at myself right now. Sorry to all those who did, I'm surprised the owner hasn't taken out an add in the paper apologizing to the season ticket holders for this entire season, starting with the first game against the Cowboys. Interestingly, if the Cowboys had been able to play out that game effectively and not implode, not only would this have been a losing season, but we would've been out of the playoff hunt two weeks earlier.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think what is likely to happen is that Schotty will interview for a few HC jobs and get turned down. I think then he will quietly start interviewing at middling college programs and he'll wind up with a HC job at some place like Cal Poly in a starter job.

The Jets will hang out as long as they can to not upset his applecart but if he's not hired somewhere by early February they're going to have to move on. I'm betting he has taken the college job by then and spared them the need to fire him.

10. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Why are so many people convinced that he's staying? Because he wasn't fired during the press conference? Because Rex and Tanny didn't call him a shitty asshole offensive coordinator and bring him out for public shaming? Just because he hasn't been fired yet doesn't mean he's not getting fired.

They probably should've done all that stuff I just said, though. I would've enjoyed it.

11. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

The first game of the season was the best game of the season. I had a blast at that game.

12. wfresh

wfresh New Member

even if rex and tanny are in denial, which i dont think they are, im sure woody knows that the fans and media wont accept shotty ever again. its all positioning, shotty wont be here next season.

13. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

14. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

C'mon man....My family has had season tickets for the better part of 30 years. I have sat through more losing jets games freezing my ass off than you could imagine. Obviously I understand your passion in wanting to have that "kick-ass" dominating team, but in all reality the games are much more than just winning and losing. Even though our boys fell well short this year, I wouldnt trade my PSL's, and I hope most fans wouldnt. Just having the opportunity to be in that atmosphere for 8 games a year is the best! Win, Lose, or Draw there is nothing like going to a professional football game!!

I think alot of fans might be down because we really didnt have a very "explosive" offense for most of the season and that takes away from the excitement at the stadium because the jets arent scoring multiple touchdowns a game. I guess its hard to explain unless you have been a season ticket holder but the experience is just awesome. (ex. When we have a " big play" the stadium goes nuts! everyone is in pure bliss, high fiving, dancing, just going nuts!). Now imagine doing that with people you have seen 8 sundays a year for the better part of 30 years? No matter how the game ends up or even how the season ends up, you cant take away those moments. You gotta enjoy the game for what it is, because if you cant do that, than it might be more stress than its worth.

Also the cowboys game was an amazing game, go back and watch the film...the stadium was rocking like no other.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I hope so because they didn't leave themselves much wiggle room to fire him if he doesn't get another job.

16. akibud

akibud Active Member

...you're 100% right! I guess my emotions are tinged with a lot of boned headed images of the head coach making SB predictions and saying how great his team and players are. So, with that as a back drop, I'm thinking an apology from the owner would be nice, but, as long as the seats are packed every week, I don't think we will hear from him.

17. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

What "wiggle room" do they need? I don't understand why it would be so hard to fire the guy in a couple weeks or whenever the hell they want, really. Why are people assuming that if he's still here on friday or whatever, then he's definitely here for 2012?

18. akibud

akibud Active Member

well.... there is the thought that unless his replacement is already in house, the longer we wait, the more likely that the quality will be less. Of course, if his replacement is currently on a playoff team, then we will certainly wait. As we have nothing but time on our hands the next month or so :)

19. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I feel you on that! I would love for Woody to send me a letter explaning how:

1)He let Mike T field a team that had no viable back-ups at several key positions.

2) Overpaid for holmes and several other free agents.

3) Started Sanchez way too early (this I have my biggest problem with).

Over the past few years woody has made alot of questionable moves with the franchise that have put us in this position. You can go all the way back to when he released Pennington to trade for Favre 2 weeks before the season started (coincidently around the sametime the plans for Metlife were finalized). We as fans were raving because he teased us with Favres potential, but in reality its redicolous to cut your starter a week before the season starts and expect a team to succeed in any case. Our offense was fully built around pennington and a week before the season we just throw it all out and "wing it" for Favre??

After the Favre experiment imploded, Woody than goes on to fire Mangini a day after the season is over. Mangini was not a terrible coach by any means, but he wasnt attractive enough to sell PSL's for Woody. So Woody canned him at first chance, and than chased after Cohward to show fans that he was "serious" about winning. After Cohward turned us down, Woody went out and hired one of the "biggest" personalities in football in Rex. I like Rex as a coach and I feel most of us do, because of how entertaining he is.

Coincidently, while our PSL sales were still lagging (when the giants were selling like crazy), We trade up in the "blockbuster" deal of the 09' draft and truly overreach on Sanchez. A guy who was solid in his one year as a starter, but was way overhyped after his 5 TD performance in the Rose bowl. (infront of his hometown crowd no less). We as fans went nuts and really bought into everything the Jets were spoon feeding us. Rather than making a rational choice and signing a proven vet (ex. Mark Bulger was available), the jets decide to have Sanchez compete against Kellen Clemens who clearly never had a shot in hell because he wasnt an "attractive" choice. Letting Sanchez start right away was always part of the plan, but the plan wasn't long-term orientated, it was another "quick fix" to spark interest in the jets and sell tickets.

Add in the fact that we have traded for/signed many overhyped "high profile" guys in each of the past 4 years.

ex.
    1) Signing Jenkins, Pace, & Faneca
    2) Chasing down Bart Scott in a midnight hour fiasco
    3) Trading for Braylon 4 games into the season
    4) Trading for Cromartie and his 8 children
    5) Trading for "Tone-time" Holmes
    6) Going crazy for Aso, rather than signing J. Joesph. (Not as attractive)
    7) Giving "tone-time" the most guaranteed money a WR has ever seen.

Add in several other PR moves such as:

ex.
    1) Organizing several "pep rallys", "gimmick days", etc at the stadium
    2) Putting the whole Revis negotiations completely out into the open
    3) Signing on with Hard Knocks
    4) Allowing Rex to say/do whatever he wants.

*All of these moves are things that we as fans are "Supposed to LOVE", yet its becoming rather obvious that Woody hasnt had the best interest of the fans in mind when it comes to his long-term planning for our team. (You can look at our cap situation as well for evidence of this). It just seems that hes always trying to sell us a dream, its just hard to see the big picture because he sells it in the organization from top to bottom. I can understand how you feel "cheated" by Woody and i couldnt disagree with you. We will have to see what happens going forward, but most of the damage has already been done. I personally feel bad for a guy like Sanchez, whom was never really given a shot to develop before being thrown into the fire and than burned several times by the media throughout his first 2 seasons. Now after our PSL's are sold and fans are "locked-in" to buy tickets each and every year, we are stuck with a guy like Mark who has a huge contract and is so gun shy that he cant make plays without being 100% sure hes not going to make a mistake.

So I understand your frustration, and you can see how frustrated I get myself when looking over this teams track record for the past few years. Especially since Woody gets a pass by most fans because all he has to say is "back to back AFCCG's" or point out the "High profile" moves he made to "better" our team.

Sorry for the long rant...its gonna be a loonng offseason...

20. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

This post needs to be referenced any time anybody uses the quote "Things are never as bad as they seem when you're at your worst, and are never as good as they seem when you're at your best." Relax man.