ESPN: Time for Rex to be honest with himself

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

#2 Mambo9, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

How can anyone not like Rex. His talk is meant to energize his players. His support for Schott and Sanchez is to show unity and integrity. And aside from being brilliant defensively in a division where you need to scheme like hell - he's got players from all over the league WANTING to play for him.

I'm a Pats fan... and I'll take BB any day of the week... but if he wasn't in the game, as much as I hate to admit it - I'd want Rex.

4. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Thats the problem with Rex, he is the ONLY leader. He has the biggest voice on the team and its drowning every other leader. When shit hits the fan the players seem to look to him, like "oh we'll your the man so now what" and that doesnt work

5. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

All the articles they've written are spot on.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Look I love Rex but he isn't fooling anyone anymore.

Schotty has done a great job -> 25th Offense in the NFL is great!?

Schotty has great work ethic -> I'm willing to bet all 32 OCs in the NFL work their ass off day and night.

Schotty has pedigree -> Who the fuck cares!? If pedigree is what matters than let's sign Lombardi's son.

I'm not expecting him to throw Schotty under the bus but at least to admit there are some issues and that he will be more involved in fixing them. Like Hue Jackson said about his DC in Oakland today.

One thing is to defend a co-worker, a whole other thing is to be in complete denial... and Rex showed this season he is in denial. He came from an organization where other people had to do the dirty work and, so far he's not shown he is capable of doing it by himself.

7. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Rex is in the state of conciousness of either Pride or Desire, always has been, and always will be. He's too stubborn to change his pathway of doing the things that allow him to achieve his sense of certainty. That's why he always says "I just know how to be myself" all the freakin' time.

He prides himself on his defense, and he ultimately desires to win a super bowl. Nothing wrong with either of these in itself. The issue is the pathway he chooses in the attempt to achieve that certainty. That is, making sure everything will be alright, and being optimistic of that in which you are uncertain. Rex is focused too much on the "getting" pathway, and not enough on "doing" and "creating" which is what allows you to reach new levels of enlightenment and consciousness.

The problem with people who are stuck in the level of consciousness of pride and desire is that they have issues with TAKING THE LEAD and that their motivations for acting in life are for nothing more than to GET something, usually money, power, fame, drugs, alcohol, respect, super bowl rings, etc. with little regard as to how to DO it, and how to CREATE the ideal environment for ones's self. Hence, the infamous "Snacks Speech" which starts off with "I'm not a great leader, I can't lead myself.."

Rex admittedly does not know what to do in order to create the environment he wishes to see himself, and those he cares about in. (super bowl champion organization)

Until Rex advances to the level of courage where he would at this point find the balls to take control of his team and DO THE THINGS THAT ALLOW HIM TO CREATE THE TEAM HE WISHES THEM TO BE, such as take control of the fucking offense and tell the coordinator "Look, in this situation, we aren't fucking passing, run the ball because i'm the head coach and i say so," then the Jets will forever be the "team who went to the AFC championship game two years in a row." having nothing else to source their pride and desire off of.

8. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

Imagine yourself being Rex.... that guy seals up all the cracks and is a united front. Think of the Ravens D... that's his style.

I personally think the guy might go to bed every night cursing Marty for every laying a bare pipe in momma Schottenheimer .... but he's not going to let anyone know that he doesn't have confidence in the guy running 1/2 his team - because it would destroy team unity and eat them up alive from the inside. Think about it, the Santonio Holmes thing would be even worse.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1) He's the one who decided Schotty could run 1/2 the team in total freedom. You don't like what's going on? Become more involved, you're the HC!!!

2) Things don't magically heal by themselves... team unity has already been destroyed. Sometimes you have to take hard decisions in the short term that provide cohesivness and unity in the long term.

It's UNACCEPTABLE that he had no say in Sanchez throwing 59 times and was the last guy to know why Holmes was pulled. He is the one that should be making those moves... if he doesn't even know what's going on on Offense he isn't the HC but a glorified DC.

You been reading self-help stuff lately :p? That said I think I agree... not sure on what I just read o.0

#9 Mambo9, Jan 3, 2012
  10. roboz08

P.S. I love REx and I have full confidence that he will continue to learn and grow on his journey as a head coach in the NFL, he'll get rid of the people he doesn't wish to surround himself with and the defense will be a top 5 unit once again and on offense it will be ground n' pound just like in '09 and 2010. We'll be back in the playoffs next year, i'd say i'm pretty certain of it. But with this team, who knows?

changes need to be made, everyone is aware of the glaring weaknesses. It's time to start doing things about it.

11. roboz08

Yes, I have been. Its enlightening really.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

re: 7

Should Phil Jackson be hired as a consultant?

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I love Rex too but I'm not 100% sure he'll grow up. It's like when someone in your family has a drug addiction... you always feel he'll somehow get out of it just because of how much you love him and all the good qualities you see in him, but that doesn't always turn out to be the case.

That said I will be pulling for Rex because he has some hard to find and great qualities as a HC... he, just like Sanchez, needs to become more consistent in what he does.

14. PA Jetsfan

PA Jetsfan New Member

Mambo9, wanna play cards? I'll ask you what you have and you tell me. The Jets lose 3 million if they fire Schotty, they lose nothing if the Jags pick a winner. Schotty is awesome to me if anyone from the Jags, or any other desperate team, calls.

Believe it or not, the Jets do some things really well and some teams may want someone who can provide them with insight into how we got to the campionship game two years in a row. I think some team in New York hired a guy named Mangini for the same reason. While his defense was better than Schotty's O, no one knew who he was before we went fishing for change. I personally think some of those behind the scene changes have been foundational.

Any aces?

15. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

This is beyond stupid. Rex believes in having 53 leaders. Get a clue buddy.

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I get the sales pitch so the the Jags are fooled into hiring him but I think:

1) They went too overboard in their "love Schotty"-fest. Too me the message they sent was "don't worry about being mediocre, we love that here". Also as an article points out, if all this is a publicity stunt to help Schotty land the job why have Tanny join in at the last minute to help? Rex is VG at talking up everyone... no need to have our GM lose credibility as well.

2) If the Jags wanted some insight on what the Jets did really well they should interview Bill Callahan, Pettine or our DB coach.

If Schotty doesn't get the Jags gig it'll be fun (ironic) to see how much of a 180° turn Tanny is actually capable of doing.

If everyone is a leader than no one is a leader...

#16 Mambo9, Jan 3, 2012
  17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

This should be entertaining. If he doesn't get a HC job, Tanny and Rex are going to have to squirm.

Unless they eat shit and bring him back. UGH!!!

BTW, what the hell have the Jags seen from Shotty that made them say, "I think I may want that guy running my whole team?"

18. PA Jetsfan

PA Jetsfan New Member

I'm with you...Mambo9. It is possible Sanchez's success in his early years and the Jags desire to be a passing team fit Schotty better than the other Jat candidates. It is, however, ridiculous to think the Jags don't know how bad a year he has had, that Moore has been consulting, and that we are ready for him to leave. Thanks for taking the high road. You could have blasted me!

By the way, I have a king.

19. PA Jetsfan

PA Jetsfan New Member

Oh, and I think we will see that 180- although I have offered to pay for an interview coach for Schotty.

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Brian Billick said on the NFL network last night that Rex is just maturing as a coach. That when an OC or DC become a head coach it takes time for them to adjust to the player coach dynamic that is different from when they were a coor. They mature and realize that they can't be friends per we with players and that they have to make some hard decisions. Billick says he expects to see Rex develop in the manner this offseason....I hope he is right because sometimes the fact you love a player doesn't mean he is the right player. Loyalty will have to be trumped by team.