Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. fdcnyc

fdcnyc Active Member

DeSean seems to have a Holmes kind of attitude . I may be wrong I don't know the guy personally . All the stories I have seen about him are bad . Plus a team like the Redskins will offer him big money I'm sure.

2. neonleon

neonleon Member

vick wants jackson back so i am guessing he returns. if he doesn't then he is the deep threat that the jets desperately need. however i cannot imagine them spending money on him after their problems with holmes.

3. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Jackson was disrespected by not getting a contract extension offer

I don't think he'll be an Eagle... I still don't want him though. He's too much like Holmes.

I'm not as worried about the WR spot at RT spot.

But I would love it if we could get BrayBray back... I just hope we didn't burn that bridge.

4. Guys I like entering FA.Doesn't mean we sign all or any of them.I just think these guys fit the bill of what the team needs moving forward:

Mario Williams- Immediately addresses a longtime shortcoming with one of the best in the business. he'd be pricey but the team NEEDS another elite talent on D.

Curtis Lofton- Consistent,physical middle linebacker with a ton of playoff experience just entering his prime. I don't think we'd need to break the bank to get him either

Stevie Johnson- Not sure if we can pry him away from Buffalo..but I think he'd bring the offense instant energy as a deep threat as well as a YAC machine.

Vernon Carey- He isn't a pro bowler..but a very steady powerful thumper at right tackle that will bring stability back to the OL.You love his experience in the AFC east and his versatility(can also play G)

Reggie Nelson- More of a coverage safety, but I think he's just what the Dr. ordered to help alleviating this team's struggles against big time tight ends.

5. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

I don't know about other positions, but the Jets need to go all out for Mario Williams. The Jets lack an elite pass rusher that can consistently pressure the QB without having the design blitzes. Mario Williams is a player the Jets need since no one in the draft will ever have the impact he will have as a pass rusher. This is not a good pass rushing draft.

6. wfresh

wfresh New Member

One of the biggest issues this year- leadership. We need to keep LT and move away from the old raiders way of team building- selfish FA "stars"....From the NY DailyNews...."The talented players we have on this team, there's no reason why we shouldn't win," said LaDainian Tomlinson. "But there are critical things like camaraderie, togetherness, passion for the game, playing for the guy next to you. There are certain things like that you can't coach. There are guys who have to be together, that love each other and respect each other and when that doesn’t happen the product on the field is going to suffer."

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Landry is brittle, the Jets can't afford that in the middle of the defense.

8. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I'm not opposed to drafting a RT (although not in either of the first two rounds), but I think the Jets need to sign a veteran RT to start and not make the same mistake as this year counting on an inexperienced starter. Even though Hunter had started a few games at the end of last year and perhaps earlier in his career, he has been a career backup for several teams and for a reason. He simply isn't that good.

I like the list of potentiatl FA signees and hope that several of them are signed. There's no doubt we need upgrades at a number of positions.

I think the picks in the first three rounds should be the BPA available from among the following positions OLB, WR, S, RB and CB. No reaches. Surely there will be a quality player available from one of those 5 positions in each of the rounds but if not, trade down acquiring an additional pick or picks and then take the BPA from one of those positions.

Then can use the picks in rounds 4-7 to address OL depth, perhaps find a Sproles-like RB from a smaller school, find a K and/or P like Morstead of the Saints, and double dip at positions of need.

9. joolander

joolander New Member

we forgot about cameron wake as an OLB. the guy is a beast and can mask alot of our problems at safety with this pass rush abilities with maybin and him rushing the passer

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Solid list. I would love to pursure Dwayne Bowe, guy's a beast of a receiver.

#30 HardHitta, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The jets have 7 million carry over money + expirations + cuts + restructures.

How much do you think Williams is going to get? 87 million/season?

Tanny can make it work if they absolutely want him.

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Isn't much available in terms of RT. That's why I liked the signing of those two guards. Especially since we have Slauson (guard) who is very versatile and played RT in college. Worst case sceanrio sign a LG, and bump him to RT to compete with a rookie+ vlad

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

You do realize that if we sign Braylon, he'll no doubt celebrate by crashing his car into a van full of disabled puppies. Lets not sign anyone who is living on a disciplinary tightrope.

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

They're both primadonna jerk off types, which is the absolute last thing we need.

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Zbikowski is going to be Eric Smith II....you don't want him.

Give me Jason Campbell over Flynn for QB. Campbell's future is gone in OAK with Palmer in town and he is a good game manager and is poised. Pair him with getting Jim Zorn as the new Jets QB coach and Campbell is great insurance for the Jets.

Flynn will cost too much.

16. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I would love to have Braylon back. The offense is missing a deep threat without him. It would also be good to get Flynn in the have open competition with Sanchez, but I'm afraid he would be too expensive after his performance against Detroit, and the Patriots. We also need to really replace Hunter either through the draft or free agency.

17. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

what are the odds that robert mathis is available

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Robert Mathis and Mario Williams will be decent pick ups although Mathis is getting older and Williams is coming of a torn muscle.

I would love Braylon back and Landry

EDIT: Assuming the Texans would be wanting to get rid of Williams, and the Colts said that Mathis is available for the right price

19. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I dont want to bring in a big name wide receiver. A guy like robert meachum would be nice and I would love to bring back Braylon. Don't want any part of bowe or Jackson.

I think landry would be a nice pickup but think he is coming off an injury so have to be careful there.

Don't really know what right tackles are out there but if we had money to burn on a guard Carl nicks would be a major bonus. If not then we may need to stick with Slausson Which I am fine with as long as we get a right tackle in here.

20. Mason

Mason New Member

Marques Colston
    Dwayne Bowe
    Vincent Jackson
    DeSean Jackson

We need one of these beast.