Don't give up on our rookie quarterback...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So, here's what we need to find out about Sanchez at this point:

1. Why did his numbers decline so dramatically in the weeks after the Denver game? He was completing 51% of passes thrown 15 yards or more going into the Denver game and he completed 17% of those passes afterwards, giving him close to a league low 35% completion percentage at 15 yards or more.

Manish Mehta insinuated that Sanchez suffered a neck injury in the Denver game when he was driven onto his shoulder during a sack. Was this the case?

2. Why did the pass first thing re-emerge down the stretch? Was that a plan due to weakness in the opposing team's defenses or was Shonn Greene too banged up to carry the load or did the Jets just brainfart (again) and do things that were subpar on offense?

Watching Sanchez throw the ball 60+ times against the Giants was really painful. Did the Jets need to do that or was the strategy a self-inflicted wound? Also, if Sanchez was really hurt during the Denver game why did the Jets have him throw the ball as much as he did after that?

3. Does Sanchez still have the confidence of his team-mates? Do his team-mates still have the confidence of Sanchez? The last part of the season was a major cluster-fuck with more than enough blame to go around. The question is: can the Jets pick things up and move forward from here or did we just see a meltdown of the plan they have been on since 2009?

2. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Of course Brady makes them look good but he throws to them because they get open and will catch the ball (and run well after the catch). Sanchez would love to have a consistant target like Gronkowski, assuming he could get the ball near him of course.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You have to stop with the Aikman stuff. I checked the TGG thread. You were 4 in 1991. You didn't watch Aikman play in 1991 and must be making your comments based on guesswork.

He was putrid in 1989 for a 1-15 team. He won 7 starts in 1990. He played adequately. The team was alive for a playoff berth in the final week. Aikman missed the final game due to a separated shoulder. Babe Laufenberg started for Dallas and he was pathetic. A Deion Sanders interception in that game is frequently shown on Sanders highlight reels.

Aikman had his breakout season in 1991. He was one of the best QBs in the league that year. He led the NFC in completion percentage and his passer rating was very good for 1991.

You claim he broke out in 1992. His passer rating only slightly improved in 1992. His completion percentage and YPA decreased.

4. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Folks,

I think the fan base just does not understand those of us who are very concerned that Mark may never be the QB we all expected and wanted him to be. Yes, all of us wanted this kid to be the second coming, I would say 98% of us liked the pick and hope we were on the right track for sucess.

We all made excuses his first two years when he continued to make some very stupid decisions in his play. He was young, only one year as a college starter, he was still learning the pro system, bad O-line, bad W/R's, bad TE, etc, etc......

Yet, Mark is in his third year, this is the year Mark alone should have won 3 games just on his abilities to be able to carry a team on his shoulders......

Now I want you all to consider that last pick he threw.....

Two Major mistakes he continues to make and should have long rid himself of.........

Mark stared down the receiver the whole route, he did it long enough, that Mitchell has the time to come completely from the other side of the defensive formation to make the play...

Mark threw the ball behind the receiver, almost into Mitchell's hands...if Mark had put the ball on the outside, that catch may have been a TD..

Mark has been making throws like this his whole career, behind, in front of, over, or under wide open receivers. Now of course this is going to happen to even the best QB's yet with Mark it is becoming a staple. The kid makes some great throws at times, but the above throws are more common and that is the problem.

After being a starter for two years many of these mental errors should be behind him. In this his third year, he should have been making very few of these same errors. He should be seeing the field clearly and the game slowed down enough for him at this point to make the right decision over 80% of the time....

That is not happening and that should be a major concern to everyone associated with the Jets, you can blame Scotty all you want, your 4 year old may know whats coming, but Mark throws the ball...

No doubt Mark will be here next year, I just hope that even if he is the starter that we have someone behind him to insert if this type of play continues. The sad part is, I expect little change in his play next year . I also expect teams to test him early by coming after him and rattling him in to the dumb mistakes they will surely hope and count on him making...

I really feel that if the Jets did truely make it an open competition with a solid veteran, Mark will not win the starters role. I almost feel at this point like that kid McElroy, with a year to watch and learn, could beat him out.....

Really hope I am wrong, but after over 40 years of watching this team, I fear I am not !

5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Please come back to this board after Brady retires...

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Really? No one else is close? Not Jimmy Graham?

7. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

OK, maybe "close" was a bad choice of words.

Graham is an excellent TE.

8. Murrell2878

There are a lot of excellent TE's in the league right now. Especially now that you are seeing them being used more and more.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Good points. I think 1/2 go hand in hand. If Greene was more banged up than Sanchez, I guess we have to throw it, although 60 + times does not make sense.
    3) Another great question. I guess Tone has, but Dustin/Kerley/Plax all were hustling and trying still at the end of games. Does that mean they have confidence or professionals? Who knows..

10. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I believe that saying 98% of us thought he was a good pick is serious overestimation on your part. There is no way in hell that 98% of jets fans liked picking a 1 year college starter out of USC. Sorry.

11. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Gronkowski on any other team is average.

12. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets should draft a QB early in the draft. We should target Russell Wilson or Keenum. Keep Sanchez but really make him earn that starting spot. Or we could even just tell Sanchez that McElroy will also be competing for the starting job to get his ass going. We need to give Sanchez some sort of competition.

#212 dmarz45, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

That was pretty much expected. Someone brings up a valid point? Counter it with his worst stat and ignore the rest.

14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

IF you want to count that as an improvement, go right ahead. He improved from "dreadful" to just plain "awful" if anything. More Sanchez lover boys....

15. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I actually agree with Case Keenum as I think he has more talent than Sanchez but we then would have Sanchez making starter money hogging up cap space.

16. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Having one of the worst completion percentages in the league is a pretty important stat to consider when evaluating a QB.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for two things:

1) The ridiculously low number for deep attempts this season.
    2) The fact that he appeared to get worse in the big moments at the end of the season.

It was a lot easier to overlook the low completion percentage when he was completing deep passes and playing well in big games. I'm hardly giving up on him but the low completion percentage is unacceptable when most of the pass attempts are under 15 yards.

Stats aside, he didn't pass the eyeball test this season.

18. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

As is 5th in the league in INTs, top 1 or 2 in fumbles, and #23 in QBR ALL while getting paid as a top 5 QB. Some of these tools defending him so much must be happy with mediocrity....

19. Murrell2878

A lot of it had to do with poor pass protection and that the receivers never got good separation from the d-backs.

20. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

:) Unfortunately, it wasn't his worst stat. His worst stat was fumbling 10 times and losing 8 of those. That's twice as many as in his first two seasons combined.

I know it's hard to admit being wrong. What is it gonna take for you, Badger? Will they have to release him for you to admit being wrong?

There will always be something. This year it's Hunter playing like shit, Mangold getting injured, Schotty being Schotty, etc. Next year it will be something else, as they can't be perfect or close to perfect at every position. If you want to play a Sanchez apologist, I am sure you can always find something to make an excuse for him.

As I said before, I am ready to watch Sanchez for one more year with another OC. However, it's utterly stupid to blindly keep making excuses for Sanchez and ignore the facts that his completion percentage is one of the worst in the league and he's a turnover prone QB who keeps repeating dumb mistakes over and over.