I need a great book

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by DeathByJets, Nov 20, 2006.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Read 11/22/63 if you want to read a King book. Under the Dome is alright but it completely falls apart at the end.

2. wexy

wexy Member

The Art Of Fielding by Chad Harbaugh
    Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I just got done reading "The Miracle of St Anthony" , Adrian Wojwhateverthehellthisguyssnameis from Yahoo wrote it. It's a season spent with Bob Hurley and the St Anthony basketball team. I love books like this and being a guy with some Jersey City roots I was in it from the get go.

About to start reading "The Card" it's about the most valuable baseball card in the world. Don't really know what to think going in but it seems interesting.

4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Didn't sift through the pages to see if these have been mentioned, but my recs are

"The Devil in the White city"
    "Game of Thrones"

About to start reading 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' after seeing the movie.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

"Q" by Luther Blissett... best shit ever.

6. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

"The Hunger Games" books (especially the first two) are very entertaining. Don't be turned off by the young-adult label. This is not "Twilight".

7. colleen74

colleen74 Member

Are you sure? ....because it was the first book my 16 yr old daughter downloaded on her xmas kindle.

8. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Hunger Games trilogy is really good. It doesnt read like a young adult novel.

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty YA-ish, but I've only read the first book. Maybe not so much in some of the subject matter but the way the story played out and characterization was YA all the way. Seems like it has the potential to get really bad without the contest as the main story in the other 2 books.

10. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

read On the Warrior's path, its a bad ass book

11. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

Road to Perdition, it's better than the movie which was very good in my opinion.

12. jgangstahippie7:18

Game Change
    Started reading it. Really interesting for political junkies.
    Want to finish it before the HBO film.

13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

14. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Got a Kindle recently and I've just finished:

- The Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three, Waste Lands
    - Enders Game
    - Neuromancer
    - A Game of Thrones

Loved all of them.

Not sure what to get onto next, could continue either the Tower or Song of Ice and Fire series but feel like escaping either setting for a book. Might read the Stand.

15. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Well, it's been mentioned in this thread -- Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy.

I'm about to finish it, and all I can say is:

Holy Shit

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child is great.

I also like the recurring character John Corey by Nelson Demille.

Both guys above are ex military/ ex cop and are independent guys solving things by their own methods which can be frowned upon. Jack Reacher character is a floater who happens to find small towns with problems, John Corey has been called in by police or is looped in that way.

Also just started reading the Mitch Rapp character by Vince Flynn. Deals with current day Washington DC and the CIA, very interesting.

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Good picks. Only one I haven't read is Enders Game series although I've been meaning too. Never finished the Dark Tower series, read all but the last one and just can't get into it for some reason.

I recently read The Maze Runner and Blood Red Road, they are similar to The Hunger Games books but a little less love story. Blood Red Road has a bit, I suppose. Only issue with Blood Red Road is that it is written from the viewpoint of the main character who has no education whatsoever...so it's written with terrible grammar and spelling to kind of get you "into the mindset" type thing but sometimes it's just a distraction.

I'm picking up a few more books I've heard good things about: The Line by Hall and The Last Thing I Remember by Klavan.

18. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I actually didn't like Blood Meridian that much. Something about McCarthy's writing style just annoys me (I didn't like The Road very much either.)

I love Game Change. The Palin stuff (which is all that's covered in the HBO film) actually doesn't do much for me because it's so obviously sourced entirely by Steve Schmidt and Nicole Wallace (who are coincidentally the protagonists on the Republican side,) but Halperin/Heileman's take on Hillary and especially John Edwards is fascinating.

Two other books that I recently finished and loved:

Showdown, by David Corn: Conservatives won't like it and I'm not entirely convinced of all of its anecdotes, but it's a compelling page turner on Obama's first term.

Bacardi and the Long Fight for Cuba, by Tom Gjelten: An awesome book that history junkies will love. It's basically the history of Cuba, as told through the story of the Bacardi family which has been intricately involved in almost every Cuban financial and political development over the past 200 years. Really well researched, well written, and smart.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It's one of the best cyber-punk novels of all time and probably his best work overall although he has others well worth the read.

The Black Company by Glen Cook. The chronicles of the last Free Company of Khatovar, a mercenary army at the beck and call of whomever will pay the freight. It's a fantasy novel that will entertain you and inevitably lead you into the 9 other books in the series.

The best review I saw of it compared it to the chronicles of Easy Company in the Vietnam War but set in a world dominated by sorcery and grand political intrigues.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Black Company started out great, but the later books tended to teeter on the cheesy side.