Could Bart Scott be finished in New York?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by discostu570, Dec 27, 2011.

1. tesla verde

tesla verde Banned

Scott was never that good, we overpaid and gave him too many years

2. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

The numbers I've seen are that Scott has to date received $27 million of his $48 million contract. If the bulk of the remaining twenty is in year five, than maybe I'm jumping the gun by a year, but unless ESPN got the basic facts here wrong, he's due an average of $10 million over the next two seasons.

Actually, I just saw for the first time that Scott agreed to reduce his 2011 pay in exchange for a full guarantee of his 2012 salary, so I guess he's probably safe. Probably. I dunno, I feel like he's one of the worst performers on this defense, and no playoffs will probably lead Tanenbaum to look for dead wood to trim, but its tough to cut a player when you'll have to pay him anyway.

#22 discostu570, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Regardless of what we as fans think, we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out over the offseason. I've always liked Scott as a Jet and if he's still a Jet in 2012 I'll be perfectly happy with that, if not, I'll understand. He obviously brings a lot of fire to the team but if he's not being used as an every-down LB (which he wasn't for much of this year), $10M does seem like a fairly high price tag (if that figure is accurate).

Is there any chance his contract could be renegotiated to bring him back at a lower price?

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Do we not realize if he was cut, we would save nothing? Because its all guaranteed? So basically we can keep him or cut him and are still paying his salary, so it doesnt help with any FA signings for this year...

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont think people think that Scott is so bad that he should be cut, but that his salary is undeserved, and that a player that cant even play on 3rd downs shouldnt make that much money.

The thing is, is that we pay his salary even if he's not on the team next year. He's not going anywhere because of his guaranteed money so there is not point in this...

6. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Scott's contract along with Pace's was guaranteed for next year by Tanny and the Jets just before this season. They each took a small pay cut this year. They"ll be back and slower than ever for the 2012 season.

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Wow. I mean I said this and got jumped. Now a whole thread all over him.

8. Royce Parker

I didn't realize his $ was guaranteed. As long as they can add some speed/youth around him I don't think LB is going to be a concern for the Jets next year. Safety is obviously a much bigger problem.

9. Salz

Salz New Member

They are both solid LB's, I will be glad to have them back.

10. Royce Parker

Here was your OP: "I mean no tackles last game? No assisted tackles? What's this guy do during the game, anyway?"

This OP was much more thought out and level-headed. I think you just got jumped on because you just dumped on Scott rather than making a reasonable argument for the point you were trying to get across. When you start knee-jerk threads you're going to get jumped on.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:lol: Classic.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

From what Ive seen this year and next year are when his pay is tiny but his last year is huge and theres a huge option bonus that is like 10 million.

13. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Meh.. There is only ONE TRUE JET number 57...

[​IMG]

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He will be back next season. This team gets rid of vets far too often.

15. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Just need to draft 2-3 young linebackers who are fast and can rotate in and out. I feel like the d-line rotation that we have is good and would love to have a similar rotation at linebacker. Teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have much more physical linebackers, wish we had more players like them. When you play the Jets, do you fear anybody? I'd say not really.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Nobody remembers the deal with him taking a paycut in exchange for his contract being guaranteed next year?

Bart Scott is still a pretty good player who plays his role well. This year was not his greatest but he is still an important part of this defense going into next year. Getting help at safety or OLB might even allow him to stay on the field more since he ends up coming off because of the need to throw another corner on the field for coverage.

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Scott has had a pretty nice season with a few sacks and forced fumbles.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Scott's contract is guaranteed next year, he will be back.

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Our LBing corps needs to be upgraded for sure and while BS is no doubt overpaid, I can't see him going anywhere.

20. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

if we shore up the OLB position, scott's lack of speed won't be as much of an issue. he can still put a hat on a player and is great against the run.

the problem is his lack of speed is magnified given the rest of the LB core aside from Harris