Does this loss make the Giants the team of NY?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by srqman1, Dec 25, 2011.

1. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Eli is 3rd in total passing yards, 4th in yards per attempt, 4th in yards per game and 6th in TD passes.

He is an elite QB.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Yup, lets stick with yards because thats the de facto QB stat. He'll be 7th in TDs once Ryan throws one tomorrow night, 9th in QB rating, 15th in comp %, 5th in interceptions.

edit: Also 10th in the NFL in rate+ (a better version of QB rating).

No he's not elite, sorry.

#22 CurbYourEnthusiasm, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  3. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Manning leads the NFL in fourth-quarter passer rating, has a league-leading five fourth-quarter comebacks and has 14 fourth-quarter touchdown passes this season, four better than New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, his closest competitor in that category. That is tied with Johnny Unitas for most TD's in the 4th quarter of a single season.

I hate him, but combine that with his SB ring and SB MVP, the dude is elite.

4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Dilfer and Brad Johnson also won SB rings...do you think they are elite too?

Idk, I prefer to look at the main stats that encompass the whole picture then the 4th quarter stats you pointed out. Sure he plays great in the 4th quarter, but that shouldn't take away from the fact he isn't great the first 3 quarters of the game (aka 75% of the game). He's a very good QB, I just can't put him in the elite category when looking at the big picture.

It's like the same people who make fun of Sanchez 4th quarter comebacks because he plays subpar the rest of the game. An elite QB knows how to play great the entire game. Just my 2 cents.

#24 CurbYourEnthusiasm, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Not arguing, just agreeing to disagree.

Both Johnson and Dilfer had ELITE defenses those years. Dilfer may have had the 2nd best defense ever. Also, neither was the Super Bowl MVP, nor did they knock off one of the potentially greatest teams ever (If the Pats won that game, they'd be considered the best team of all time).

Again, I LOATHE Manning and anything Giants. I just think he stands behind Brees, Rodgers and Brady (the best of the best). I put him in the next group. I think he's earned it. (I'm a little nauseous now)

6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This might be fun to watch but I don't think its going to happen

Jets don't play Giants for 4 years

the only way they "take over the City"
    is if the Jets win VLT in that interim
    While Giants flounder

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The only thing that could fix this, is the Jets clinching their playoff spot before the Giants game, and then have the Giants go on and lose to the Cowboys. That would be the ultimate irony and revenge.

The giants would become the joke of the town if that were to happen.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yes. Most definitely. Our team talked a bunch of shit and then got beat.... pathetic. Let them feel like big shots, fact of the matter is their team could be done this week as well.

9. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

You never hear about The Fish, Buccs, and Jags saying who is the best in Florida. The Chargers, 49ers, and Raiders on who's best in Cali or who the better team in Ohio or Texas is....Who cares who's the best team of New York. Just do you. My free advice for the day.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We should have NEVER agreed to share a stadium if this was an issue. Woody should have swallowed his pride and built a new Jets stadium someplace else other than the westside. He could have avoided all of this nonsense. Neither organization is a fan of the other as they're competing for the same dollars in the same area. Now, they play in a gray stadium. Marvelous.

The Giants won and there won't be another regular season meeting between the teams for the next 4 years so, the Jets will have to live with that fact that they choked when it came time for them to stake the claim to supremacy.

11. toughphysicaljets?

lmao..even if we won the giants have and always will be NYs team...tradition, winning and to be honest a class organazation...look at plax we take their garbage...saturday was just another reminder of what we are and what they are...we will always play second fiddle.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't forget obsessive fellatio. A tradition that cannot be overlooked.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. If the Jets go 12-4 next year and win the division and make a long playoff run while the Giants fall apart and go 6-10 , the Giants will own the town because of this week's game? Really?

The Jets beat the Giants in 1988 in similar circumstances - two above average teams playing a late season game with neither making the playoffs. The Jets beat the Giants, knocking the Giants out of the playoffs. The Jets appeared on the rise and the Giants appeared on the decline. The Jets used that game as a springboard to go 4-12 the following season and Walton was fired and the Jets were disassembled. The Giants won a Super Bowl a couple of years later.

One game on December 24, 2011 does not determine four years of supremacy. In fact, if the Giants lose on Sunday, this week's game will mean very little. It will just be another game. People will not remember this game any more than the other 9 games in the Jets - Giants rivalry.

14. The Angry Tuna

The Angry Tuna New Member

I just joined and can't create a thread, but I wanted to ask you guys a question. I'm a Giants fan and I wanted to see what you guys thought about the officiating in this game. Specifically the following:

1) The fumble at the end of the first half that was run in for a TD. This is the play where it was ruled a fumble on the field and overturned upon further review.

2) The Holmes fumble.

3) Both of Sanchez's fumbles/incomplete passes.

I feel like the officiating in this game was horrible, and I was happy it did not end up affecting the outcome of the game. I just wanted to see if anyone else disagreed with the ruling for those specific plays. This is a hot topic over on our boards, just wanted to get the thoughts of the other teams fans.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Good post. Shows you how quick things can change.

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Also, this game was no beat down by the Giants. The Jets had more first downs, more yards, more time of possession. In fact, it was 20-14 and the Jets had the ball at midfield with 5+ minutes left. If Schotty does the right thing and runs the ball instead of pass, pass, pass, punt, who knows?????

The point is that this was anyone's game until the Ware run and Maybin penalty and then the safety.

People are acting as if the Giants killed the Jets. This was a one score game. Neither team played well.

17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

1) I thought his elbow hit the ground but it was so close I didn't think there was enough (has to be indisputable) to overturn it. So I was a little surprised by this.

2) Awful call. We got a break on that, no doubt.

3) These were the correct calls. The Tuck rule is a shitty rule, but thats what it is. The other call was a blatant incomplete pass I thought.

The officiating I thought was ok save for the Holmes fumble and the one PI call which bailed us out on 4th down. Prob one of the worst calls I've seen this year. You could argue the officiating favored us a bit, but we didn't deserve to win regardless.

On edit: I didn't care too much for the Maybin call. I didn't hear a whistle and the receiver/RB (I forget) kept running along the sidelines. It seemed like it was one of those calls that happened because the entire Giants sideline erupted that it was a late hit.

18. The Angry Tuna

The Angry Tuna New Member

I don't understand how anyone can really disagree with what you said about the first two examples. I honestly don't understand the tuck rule very well, but on the one fumble where it was knocked out of his hand and they ruled it an incomplete pass, should that not have been a backwards pass seeing as the ball went 10 yards or so behind him?

I forgot about that PI call as well. I couldn't believe that was the play you guys called on 4th down, haha... looks like we are not the only ones not happy with our OC.

I feel like the officiating has been horrible all year, especially in this game, as well as the time we played the Packers. I understand that you might not get every call correct in real time but it frustrates me to no end when the ref goes and looks at the footage and then makes a horrible call opposite to the evidence.

19. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

It doesn't matter where the ball lands. If the QBs hand is moving forward with the ball in it, even by a fraction of an inch, it's an incomplete forward pass.

20. Joe Walton

Joe Walton Banned

Just listen to you Jet fans and your whining, especially Marky Mark. You've done nothing but squabble about not being the "popular kid" and hoping the Giants lose while we Giant fans have moved on to the Cowboy game. Try doing the same with the Dolphins.

I've read a lot of Giant fan bashing on these boards over the past two years. Well guess what? You guys don't get to call Giant fans jealous, whiny, obsessed or driven by hatred for a team not in your conference EVER AGAIN.

Just imagine if the Giants coaches, players, and fans did that much unearned, unprovoked chest-beating in the media and on the internet regarding two bannerless seasons that no one will even remember in five years. You'd hate us a thousand times more.

If your upset about all the egg on your face, try directing your anger at the right people--yourselves, your coaches, your GM and your players for all the chest beating, for going completely overboard, and for confusing arrogance for swagger.

#40 Joe Walton, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011