The Jets need a VETERAN Right Tackle, not a rookie.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Dec 22, 2011.

1. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Seems to me like most of the problems on the O-line are like someone said earlier, problems passing off assignments/miscommunications so I really think this line just needs an offseason together to get back to where we were last year. We still should draft though simply because the line is getting older and we need some young talent to develop. Maybe a young talented Tackle can make Wayne compete out there because Wayne has talent too he just seems lost sometimes.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

#42 Zach, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Given up as many sacks as HUnter

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't mind a vet but like others have said, we can't get older at the oline.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I had you pegged as a Pats troll before you had 10 posts.

Damn, I'm good.

6. abyzmul

Aw sheeit. He is not a Pats troll. He writes pathetic content on an upstart - and soon to be failure - of a website.

There is really nothing to see here, except for a false and grandstanding idiot pretending to be intelligent... good ole Roger Vick.

You really should have picked easier targets, sis.

#46 abyzmul, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Wrong again. You're outdoing yourself.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Worry more about mark becoming Kenny obrien

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Or David Carr

10. abyzmul

Thanks for the inside take.

11. Hobbes3259

Nice pick......

12. Hobbes3259

Sanchz> Carr. Carr< kob

13. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Entering the 2012 draft with Wayne Hunter as our best right tackle is suicide.

I'm not going to say there isn't a kid in the draft who could start and play well from day one- I'm sure there is- but there's no guarantee we get him, and we need to guarantee a better offensive line next season. You can't do that in the draft. If you try, you're either going to have to trade up to lock up the right guy or reach to fill a gaping hole. That's no way to run a war room.

The Jets need to sign a veteran starter. Kareem MacKenzie makes perfect sense. Then we see what happens in April. Instead of needing to reach to fill a glaring hole, we can see what kind of wide receivers or linebackers fall to us. If none do, then we can draft Moore or MacKenzie's heir. Ideally, I'd like to draft David DeCastro at the end of the first round to take Brandon Moore's job.

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I agree. Get a good proven RT who can come in and play better then that statue of Rikishi Fatu.

15. greenandwhite49

greenandwhite49 New Member

They need to kick Hunter to the curb period. Sign a RT for right now for the next 2-3 years and draft a RT for the future. Slauson is having a decend year IMO. Give him another year and he will be a monster. Ducacus i think is heading down the road of a gholston...a BUST!!!

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there is no one who can come in and play better than Hunter so we are stuck until the offseason where he will either be gone or a back up again.

Slauson has been good this year and happy to see that as he is still young.

Vladimir DUCASSE is awful and was hoping he would have shown more at this point. Of course the lack of off season didn't help for a project like him so Im willing to give him another offseason to see him improve. If he comes in to the start of next season and still isn't able to play like a backup than there is no point in keeping him.

17. jcjet

jcjet Member

I think we need depth so both.

18. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

I'm thinking we might need a new right guard as well. I love Moore but I feel like he's aged a lot this year.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

With the way Hunter is destroying Sanchez, it wouldn't be long till Sanchez enters David Carr status, constantly on happy feet, looking for the pass rush that is not coming.

20. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I disagree. Drafting anywhere in the first round is high enough to get a good RT prospect, which I'd rather have than a past his prime vet if the decision were that simplified. Ferg and Mangold are not spring chickens anymore, and Moore is oldish. We can't hop in the time machine and fix the mistakes of this past off-season. The best way to approach the position from a standpoint of Oline effectiveness over the next 1-6 years is draft a rookie. You kill yourself when multiple Olinemen come of retirement age at the same time and drafting young prevents that. The only downside is the opportunity cost of the draft pick that may be better used on a premier LB, Safety, or WR, or other assessed higher value/ need position. That's what the FO has to weigh IMO-- the availability and grading of rookie pool vs. grading and cost of FA by position need. Clearly RT is a high priority for one or the other. I'd argue Safety and LB are right up there too-- our middle defense might be the most unathletic in the NFL.