Our Next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeHoncho, Nov 18, 2011.

1. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to warm up to Trestman. I'm ok with Callahan. After all he was the HC of a SB team. Gannon was a pretty good QB though.

Who's this Sarkisian fellow??? Wikipedia, here I come....

2. fozzi58

He would have been a really good mid-season move cause he would have kept things the same and changed up the plays a bit.

I think the transition from Schotty to Callahan would be easier on Mark and the rest of the O. The O's Philosophy might not change drastically should he take over as opposed to installing a completely new system, verbiage, terminology, etc.

Callahan might be able to make some of what Schittforbrains does and make it work - e.g. the Homes keeps moving after plays even though he's not at his landmark type of things.

Any further details than that are above my level of knowledge.

3. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

We could hire a trained monkey to throw crap at a list of plays and he'd probably be more successful than Schotty.

4. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

Fair point, I would agree that Callahan would be a MUCH smarter choice than Cavanaugh, however to me it seems like the Offense needs an overhaul, and if Nacho studies the playbook like we read about, I dont think it would be too much to ask for him to learn a new system. I wouldn't be upset with Callahan, but I would like to see them bring in someone from outside.

Having said that none of this will matter if Holmes continues to half ass his routes.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Ignoring his work with Sanchez, I've never liked him as a play-caller and I'm not that big of a fan of his offense. Granted it was in the NCAA but he never wowed me with anything while he was the OC at Pitt.

As for Callahan, he's a west-coast guy who seems to like timing routes the way that Schottenheimer does. I'm not sure if swapping one west-coast offense for another would be the best course of action if we want to see improvement from Sanchez.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Probably already looked it up but for anyone else who was wondering and didn't want to navigate away from the page:

Steve Sarkisian is the current HC of the University of Washington and former QB Coach at USC. He took over as OC for the Trojans after the departure of Lane Kiffin and held that post for two seasons, including Mark Sanchez's sole starting year.

As I said before, I would be all for bringing him in because:
    1. His familiarity with Sanchez and the success they both had
    2. His offense relies upon a deep passing game which is sorely lacking this season.

However, I highly doubt the Jets are able to pry him away from his current job so he's more of a hypothetical discussion rather than a legit possibility in my mind.

7. fozzi58

I agree. I think we need an injection from the outside.

HOWEVER - I don't want change for the sake of change. If the playcaller/OC mind that can really help this team isn't available, I would rather see Callahan take over, even for 1 or 2 seasons.

I want Schotty gone, but bringing in another "best available" OC as opposed to THE guy Rex wants, is a stupid decision. I realize Hue Jackson isn't giving up his HC job at the Raiders to come be Rex's OC, but I don't want Rex taking second best cause the fans want a "new offensive system".

8. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

The thought of a proven winner HC as an offensive coordinator made me think of Mike Martz the I realised he's not doing a great job with Chicago but that may be a talent issue and Cutler not living up to his potential but a question mark.

I then considered his stint with St Louis and remembered who was on the roster, Faulk, Holt, Bruce, Warner and Proehl not a combo that comes along easily and was lucked into a little, the climate control of being in a dome and realised that it won't translate to the Jets.

What about Greg Knapp? Load of experience with Atlanta, Seattle and now QB coach with Houston. Now that Schaub is out with who knows the future he might be worth a look. He is predominantly a WCO guy and admittedly Atlanta with him was not great but a comer and Seattle just tanked. It could be that he may be able to wring more magic out of the WCO if we can get a RB to replace LT who can pass protect, catch out of the backfield and have that elusiveness. I don't think McKnight will be that guy unless he put in work in pass pro which will mean taking him away from return duties.

What concerns me about Rex is his apparent hands off approach to offense. Granted his strength is defense but come on if you can cerate a d that rattles and shakes then surely you can transfer that and give some insight to how an O should attack the d they will be facing on game day

9. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

I would really like someone like Chip Kelly. Are there any offensive college coaches that want to make the transition? Is Kelly good enough to become an instant HC like Jim Harbaugh?

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

11. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

if he gets fired from St. Louis...

[​IMG]

12. Petey

Petey Active Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Josh McDaniels winds up the next Chiefs head coach.

13. colleen74

colleen74 Member

He's cute. I approve.

LOL

14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

He's just practicing the look he makes when he visits the proctologist

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

people forgot that he was the guy who drafted tebow for the broncos.

made kellin clemmens look decent last sunday playing qb for the rams, despite the fact he was only there for about a couple of weeks.

his tuna-peyton style of offense plus past qb experience may be exactky what sanchez needs to break out of his funk.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Is there rumors he will be getting fired, or wishful thinking?

17. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Ignoring McDaniels' abrasive personality and incredible ego for a moment, why would we want to bring in the guy who piloted one of the few offenses worse than ours? And who's been fired in back to back seasons??

If we get rid of Schottenheimer, we need to get an upgrade. Aside from some good seasons with ridiculous talent in New England, what has McDaniels ever done to suggest that he deserves the job?

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

An OC that actually KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.

He doesn't exist in junc's little world. Next?

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He can go fuck himself somewhere else.

20. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

More wishful thinking, though the Rams are that awful, wouldn't surprise me if they cleaned house. I think their awfulness is more a product of the invisible offensive line they have and zero weapons to throw to, minus Lloyd who has boosted their offense a bit.

For one he was Brady's QB coach and then put together possibly the best offense in NFL history. Then he turned Matt Cassell into a good enough interpretation of an NFL QB to get a draft pick out of him from the chiefs, and even in Denver he put together a solid offense with Kyle fucking Orton at the helm and NoYards Moreno as his running back(which to be fair he drafted but he'd be OC). The defense was the issue in Denver the past two seasons, not the offense.

He's a terrible coach, but he's a brilliant offensive mind and he's great working with QBs.