RUMORS: Schotty to Dolphins and Pettine to Penn State?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I really don't understand the Rob Ryan love on this board.

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I've always thought that too. That so much of our offensive focus is on getting Mark prepared more than anything else. It does make sense though because if Mark is playing off than our whole offense stalls. Also one of our best offensive game plans this year was coming off the bye.

3. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Rob Ryan is awful.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Me neither, is he a good coordinator? Yes he is but a great one? That's debatable. If we had to replace a DC I'd be looking at Romeo Crennel or Mike Singletary. Both have shown to be very good DC's but not very good head coaches. Throw in that Singletary knows the 46 about as well as anybody, he's the LB coach with the Vikings so you know he'll be looking to move back up the ranks again. I'd hate the idea of Rob coming in here and our defense sucking shit because Rex is a very loyal guy so there'd be no way he'd fire his brother. The two of them together is a recipe for disaster.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Romeo has never really had success except w/ BB who we know was running those defenses and Singletary has never been a DC.

6. HOI

HOI Active Member

that and we already have probably the 2nd greatest defensive mind presently in the game as our head coach already....although....Fridays press conferences would be a pisser.

7. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Re:Rob

Its not Rob love. But if the Jets DC job was open, you would hear a lot of talk about getting Rob to replace Rex. (Could he make a lateral move like that anyway?)

Personally, I don't know if the brothers would want to be on the same team, even though Rex has stated he'd like to do that.

I see some changes in Rex this year that seem to indicate a development as a HC that has him moving past having his bro as DC

If Pettine leaves, the next DC could be Mark Carrier, but if the Jets make playoffs and make some noise, I could see teams picking him off the squad also

8. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

No need for Rob Ryan

9. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Rob Ryan would never work for his twin brother. The two of them might word side-by-side for example, but one of them would never be the other's superior.

10. sg3

sg3 Banned

once you said "According to Rich Cimini" there was no need to read the rest

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Especially since Cimini never said that.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rob wont work well with Rex...Rob will need to fix it up somewhere else

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

So you could say the Dullphags would go from Luck to Schmuck?
    SWEET!

14. swifty_0

swifty_0 New Member

Didn't Rex already say him and his brother couldn't work together anyways...?

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes, but this is exactly where a lot of great coaches have come from as well. There is a good reason we talk of things like The Parcells coaching tree, The Walsh coaching tree, Ect.

Belichick himself is a member of the parcells tree. Will shotty or Pettine ever becone a good head coach? No one knows at this point. To rule it out because of our opinions as fans, with our limited knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, seems more than a bit unfair to them.

16. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan says Jets have place for brother Rob Ryan if he doesn't become head coach, leaves Browns

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-01-07/sports/27086684_1_rex-ryan-rex-and-rob-mike-pettine

There could be a double dose of the Ryan brothers on the Jets' coaching staff next season.

Rex Ryan tried to hire his twin brother Rob when he got the Jets' job two years ago, but Eric Mangini had hired him as the Browns defensive coordinator before the Jets offered their head coaching job to Rex. When Rex asked the Browns to release his brother, Mangini replied, "Give me a break, he's already here," Rex Ryan said Thursday. "I told him blood was thicker than water. They were not going to lose him."

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rex is straight up G

18. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Schotty leaving and going to the fish is a win-win.

Pettine loves Pennsylvania football, but with all the Sandusky news I bet he stays far away from Penn State.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Im not worried about Mike P leaving because Dennis Thurman could fill in as DC. As much as people hate Schotty I don't know who out there would be a better OC if he left.

20. Milliner is your Mommy

True but I would still be hesitant to take a DC away from a HC who is obviously the brains of the defense. Although it does look like Pettine has handled a lot more of the defense this year than the last 2.