Sanchez on pace to set Jet's all-time single season record for TD's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Dec 11, 2011.

1. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

The yardage debate is absurd. There was a nice video in the NFL site that showed how 400+ yards for a qb almost never translate to wins. Even 300+ yards are not a guarantee by any means.

Schotty said last week that he could be making Sanchez throw for 300 yards every game but that wouldn't be good for the team. People mocked him for that but he obviously knew what he was talking about. Because of the influence that Fantasy Football has in the minds of fans, we tend to think that yards are an indication of greatness, when they clearly aren't. The only real indicator is wins, and Sanchez has 27. End of discussion.

Oh, and by the way, I'm no Sanchez fan. The Denver game drove me crazy and I almost broke my tv by throwing a pillow at it with the Pats' pick six, but the arguments that some of you state week in week out are just plain stupid. Watch a bit more football, check other qb's in the league and then come back. We have a good one, not great, not elite, but good enough for this team.

/rant

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Had we had a screen game at the beginning of the season, We wouldn't have needed a gift from Romo, Got Sanchez Murdered by Baltimore, and lost in Denver....

And I hate to ask, but where are is the SDF that's been saying we don't have a screen game bc Sanchez is too inaccurate up close?

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yesterday was no doubt Sanchez's best game of the season. Credit to the CS for sticking with the parameters that work best for him. It was not a perfect day, since I would have liked to see the wideouts more in the mix, and a couple of throws early could have been picked off, and probably would have been against some teams. He had Burress one on one at one point where he threw a rope when he should have faded it, but that was more than balanced by his improved completion percentage.

His fundamentals were sound, his passes didn't sail, he was not late on his throws, and he avoided the big mistake. I particularly liked a checkdown where he threw it to Greene, looking very much in the flow.

More involvement by the wideouts will be necessary to keep up the playoff run, but Sanchez just may be starting one of his streaks of strong play at the right time. The stars may be in alignment -the OL again had a good game, Greene also played his best game of the season, which is a huge lift to Sanchez, and Sanchez looked more comfortable with his pass protection and the strength of the running game.

I for one don't share the criticism that despite the big score the Jets did not actually gain all that much yardage. The need to cover yardage is a function of how much yards need to be covered to score. Scoring is the main point, and the Jets did that.

The coaching and game plans are paying off, too, and not being undermined by poor execution. So yesterday's game inspires confidence, no doubt about it. If the OL can keep it up, if the running backs can hang in there without getting dinged up, and Sanchez plays like he did yesterday, well, the one game a time approach may well take the team somewhere great.

But, one game at a time.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Since when are the leagues 16th and 24th ranked pass defenses considered a great test?

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that Sanchez' peers -- Josh Freeman, Mark Stafford, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford -- have all regressed. Or not taken it to that next level, whatever.

Sanchez is about where I thought he would be at Year 3.

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Matthew* But I also made this point many weeks ago, Sanchez is improving while everyone else seems to be regressing

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Stafford is doing fine. Flacco and Freeman have regressed some, Flacco for many of the reasons Sanchez is not on fire at this point, those being no offseason, new receivers, new offensive philosophy, etc.

The Ravens are on pace to pass the ball 56% of the time this season as opposed to 52% last year. This despite Flacco's production dropping way off. The Jets are on pace to pass the ball 55% of the Time this season as opposed to 51% last year.

This is Sanchez third year not his fourth like Flacco but the Jets still decided to up the ante in the passing game significantly.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I agree with your sentiment but over the last 2 years he's had a lot more experience that most of the other QBs that he's compared too. Definitely the most raw coming out of college, but he's played 4 Pre-season games, 16 reg seasons, and 3 playoff games, each year. He's got a almost half a season of NFL experience on guys like Stafford and Freeman.

I think this is flying in the face of reality.

I've really been paying attention to guys like Dilfer, and my recent exposure to Vinny, when it comes to Sanchez. Both of them have said in fewer words that the coaching staff don't trust him yet. And that's the coaching staff holding him back.

At the symposium where Testaverde was going through the current Jets, he basically said that the coaching staff isn't giving Mark the opportunity to go and just play and win games. But in 4th quarter as desperation sets in, they are telling him to go win the game. Its the reason why he has more 4th quarter comebacks than anyone. The team is put in a position where they are losing and they say - go win it for us.

If he had more time he would have Sanchez'd the Bronco's too.

9. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

So wish we had Freeman.

10. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? Do touchdowns run in by QB's not count for 6 points in the NFL? Is having a mobile QB like Tebow or Cam Newton not an advantage? Do Cam Newton's 13 rushing TD's not count in your world either?

Mark doesn't have the running skills of either of those players, but his agility does make him a weapon at the goal line, and yes, any reasonable evaluation of his progress should make use of fumbles lost and rushing touchdowns.

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Matt Stafford is regressing? Where do you guys come up with this shit?

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It probably helps for them to not know what they are talking about.

13. Organized Chaos

300+ yard QBs win more than they lose, especially in the past few years.

If the only clear indicator is wins, then Cam Newton sucks. So did Archie Manning.

There is obviously more to how good a QB is than his team winning. On the other hand, I don't mind the low yardage numbers when they're a function of how often we're running the ball like yesterday.

Sanchez is clearly top 15 based on stats alone, despite what most fans of "other teams" think and statistically he may end up in the top 5 or 10 in everything but yardage.

The yardage isn't as important as his turnover ratio given his early career struggles with turnovers. If he finishes with 30 TDs to around 20 turnovers, I'll be pretty happy with that. Especially because that would be a much higher TD count than I thought he'd get going into the season.

14. claymation

claymation Member

Vinny only had one rushing TD in '98.

15. Organized Chaos

Haha, yeah that was so nuts I wasn't going to touch it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9265/career;_ylt=ApjuewTFOF3RVBz5yCKXP4z.uLYF

Long story short, he's played 13 games prior to this season, and 13 this season. He's thrown for 1000 more yards in this seasons 13 games, 10 more touchdowns, and 7 less interceptions and improved his completion percentage by like 6%. I'd sign up for that kind of regression any day.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'm not sure 32 TDs would even put him in the top 25 NFL QB seasons which I guess doesn't say much for Jets QBs.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're right. I'd have sworn it said 2 when I did the check before the post yesterday. That makes Vinny the record holder with 30 instead of 31.

Richard Todd's timing was off (the story of his career basically) to get up the list because the year he had 25 TD passes he had 0 runs whereas the two previous years he had 5 runs each year.

Sanchez is 3 off of Todd's career record for TD runs by a QB with 11 in his first 43 starts. Otto Graham is first all time with 44 TD runs as a QB back from 1946-1955. Steve Young had 43 from 1985-1999. Among active players Michael Vick is the leading QB scorer with 30.

18. Cynic

Cynic New Member

Wow I am truly dumbfounded. Those 2 yards scrambles could have just as easily been draws to the runningback. But since instead, they were quite easy scrambles for Sanchez that of which even I could have executed, you are going to attribute them to his progress?

The notion of progress implies improvement from year to year. So you are telling me that Sanchez couldn't have done those scrambles in his rookie year and are attributing them to his progress as a Quarterback, the position that is evaluated based on passing the ball?

I'm not even going to argue with Sanchez lovers anymore because this level of asisinity is actually scaring me a little.

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Kenny O really needs to be in the discussion here.

20. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

That is one of the most idiotic things I've read on this board in quite a long time, which is saying a lot. I was at the game yesterday when he faked that handoff and scrambled around the outside to score - I never knew he had the ball until the refs were signaling touchdown, and neither did most of the Chiefs D. The fact that you discredit that as a "quite easy scramble" is laughable. Would you like him to lower his shoulders and plow through some linemen? Would that impress you?