Plaxico Burress extension??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

True but he's only played in 4 complete games this year.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1) He'll be 35 in december... I think he has 1 or, at most, 2 yrs left. Let's be honest, although he's been great in crunch time or in the red zone you can see he rarely goes at full speed on 1st and 2nd downs.

2) We have A LOT of money invested in Santonio Holmes and we aren't really a pass-happy team.

3) In 2012 we might not have very much cap space and it looks like there will be many good WRs available in the draft.

Keeping all of this in mind I'd offer him a 2 year contract that would allow us to eventually cut him in 2013 without having too much dead money on our hands. Kind of like the deal we offered LT back when we signed him.
    In terms of money one could make it guaranteed but around the 2 mill mark.

IF we really are in a difficult position with cap space then let him go and grab a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round since there will be some very good talent there.

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

As someone else mentioned, Braylon has been injured most of the year and for all that his stats have improved quite a bit recently Alex Smith is still not a good QB (I watch a lot of niner games with my mate and the only thing taking a shine off the season for him is the idea that it could lead to Smith getting signed long term).

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Try looking at it from Plex's perspective.

Next year will be his LAST LAST LAST shot at signing a 3-4 yr mega deal all players dream of and Plex robbed himself of by going to jail during his prime.

He signed a one year deal to break back into the NFL, and at 34 yrs old, next season is his last shot a inking a long term deal.

That said, what Plex wants probably wont be what Plex gets.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'd love to see them keep him around mostly for the redzone but i don't know if his ego would allow for that. We need to bring in some kind of burner to start across from Tone.

6. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

NO WAY! I say either get a WR in FA or Draft!

7. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Desean Jackson is not the same player before that concussion. I would take a shot at getting Braylon back, hopefully a year has made him more mature. This is simply for the reason that Sanchez and Braylon had a tremendous year together in '10.

Braylon is a great blocker and he is the homerun hitter we don't have.

Get me MJD.

8. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I would like to bring Braylon back too. Don't see that happening. Unless he realizes he won't be getting the big bucks he hoped for. Especially with the WR hitting FA and the WR coming into the draft.
    Signing Plax back for 2 years would be nice as well, BUT, his agent is Drew Rossenhaus - and I am sure he will be looking for a 3 year deal.

9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Jackson is fine, he just has Vince Young throwing to him and he barely gets thrown at in the first place. So what did you expect to happen to his production wtih some scrub playing QB there?

If Braylon can stay out of trouble, he's not a terrible option.

MJD, yes please.

10. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I guess some people forget the FO made zero effort to bring Braylon back, no way that guy will ever be back here. And this draft is so loaded with WR talent, some early first talent is going to fall into the late first and early second rounds, if the team wants to go in that direction. I would rather go with either a guard or tackle early, but that's for another thread.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Sanchez needs consistency in the WR position. The FO has been screwing with his development since he was drafted. Kind of reminds me of the Joba situation.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No team will offer a 35 yr old WR with questionable working habits a mega deal!

It would be great if we could get an elite WR next year so Sanchez would be able to have Holmes, this new guy, Kerley and maybe even Turner around for a while.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It's not that I don't like Plax and think he can help but I really think we have to get younger at the position and give Sanchez some guys that'll be around for a while.
    This revolving door at WR has to stop. It's really a disservice to a young QBs development.

14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

GUy rarley hits the pracitce field. Has been a lockerroom issue since he joined the NFL, and takes plays off. This is the best behavior you will ever see from him. We rented him for a year and both sides got what they expected. He is gone next year and the Jets go into the draft, and sign a vet. I hope that vet is Braylon, run JK in the slot and a burner in the 4th reciever spot. Upgrade OLB, S, RT and we will be primed. IL (Scott) is snother place to invest.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont want to sign another WR older than 29. When they hit that age, they could have one more good year or 5.

No way in hell we give Plax a multiyear deal, especially 3-4

I want a young guy to come in and build chemistry with Sanchez. No more revolving doors. Holmes, *insert young WR name*, Kerley and Dustin for the next four years. Im sick of miscommunications and feeling the ups and downs that go with building chemistry.

IMO, the best option is the draft. EXTREMELY deep at WR. We could grab a guy like BJ Cunningham in the 3rd, possibly 4th. Most importantly, it is a must that we draft a WR early this year no matter what happens in FA. If we let Plax walk then I think signing a mid tier WR FA is a good idea too.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How has he been a locker room issue? I've heard him say nothing but positive things about his teammates and coaches since he's been here.

He's not the best WR option available, but he's outstanding in the redzone and a big part of the reason why we're #1 in redzone efficiency. I'd REALLY like for us to stop playing musical chairs at the WR position with our young QB every year and would like for him to stay at least 1 more year even if it's only for his redzone presence.

I think the best scenario includes him staying and the Jets adding another legit receiver to stretch the field.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly he has 2 good years left it would be nice to have him here for both of them at a reasonable enough price to get a top young player in behind him.

18. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Plax has great hands, he is a solid blocker and a tall red zone monster.

Plax has limited speed and acceleration. He can't get up field for deep routes and lacks the hustle/endurance to take the rock 50yds to the house.

I don't think he will be here next year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he is here next year. Unfortunately, he just is not getting any younger or any quicker. This is a fast league. We need speed.

19. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I think Turner can be the "Plax upfield" stunt double. Same height, decent hands, a little lighter, and a lot faster.

I think they extend Plax if they can pull it off, but with Drew Rosenhaus involved, I'm not so sure they will be able to pull it off.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Turner is slow as hell, he's probably not "a lot faster" than anyone on the team who isn't wearing a 60-79 on their chest.