Moore to be with team for rest of season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JoeWillie130, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Yes, but the subject in question is play design.

2. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

no it's the offessive coordinators job to design plays that don't bring your receiver threat into the box, risk him getting hurt, lose any chance of deception and bring yet another defender into the box as well...amongst other things.

3. BookEndTackles 72&79

I can almost guarantee you that I have NEVER seen another team run that type of play. I don't care whose responsible for whatever scheme or design it is but the fact that it happened and is allowed to happen at the NFL level is just mind boggling and indicative at the level of dysfunction that rears it's ugly head from time to time.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I have no idea what play this guy is talking about, I don't remember this happening so I'd like to see it.

1) Callahan is responsible for blocking schemes on running plays. I don't know if that includes crack blocks from WR's or not. I'm guessing you don't either, but you can pretend like you do on the internet if you want.
    2) If the motion was used to determine zone coverage and crack back if it was zone, that probably doesn't bring another guy in the box.

That said, Holmes isn't a very good blocker so I'm not sure why he'd be the one they used for something like that. It seems like Plaxico or Turner would be of more use in that situation. Maybe it was used to deceive the defense?

I really want to see this play.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding the bolded part, I have to think the lost cause is you. You would know that how? In any event, your previous statement that whether a play works or not is irrelevant to whether it is a good play speaks for itself. I give up on you.

Regarding what Ryan said, I don't assume he is always telling the truth. But as I said, backing up whether you have confidence in someone who reports to you is not something that would tend to be a lie.

Let's put it this way - if Ryan were really and truly unhappy with Schotty, don't you think he might say something to signal his unhappiness? He has done so for other situations before, saying stuff like "We need to tighten this or that up" or things like that. Nothing like that for Schotty, as far as I recall.

I never said everything Ryan says is true. But for him to say he has confidence in someone who reports to him and he could fire seems like exactly what he says it meant.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The Hail Mary works every once in a while...doesn't make it a good play.

7. Big Blocker

You also said the buck stops with Schotty, which is not true. The buck stops with the HC.

Maybe it is a question of semantics. When I say responsible, I mean who is it who is charged with the responsibility of making sure the whole thing works, and that is primarily the HC and the head of the FO. Ryan and Tanny. Of course I recognize that on a day to day basis Schotty is working with the O more than Ryan and Tanny, but also under whatever directions, parameters and restrictions they have set for him. You are I take it using the word responsible to mean hands on day to day responsibility. The problem with your position imo is that it does not take account of what Schotty has been told to do, he does not have ultimate authority over Callahan and Cavanaugh, and it is not up to him who stays or go among his players.

8. Big Blocker

9. Big Blocker

Actually, depending on the game situation, it might be the ONLY good play. Last play of the game, your team is down, on the opponent's 40 yard line, you need a TD. You would run a Qb sneak? But you are missing the point.

The point is to say that whether a play works or not is IRRELEVANT to whether it is a good play is mindbogglingly stupid.

And of course I have seen how in other contexts you show no appreciation or understanding for how timing and context can alter the advisability of an approach. You just did that again.

10. BookEndTackles 72&79

If anyone has the game recorded I hope they can search for this. If I recall correctly it was sometime in the 3rd quarter when the O struggled mightily. Definitely not the 1st quarter since as it was not on that great opening drive they had.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

12. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

I think you're right and that it is semantics.
    But I disagree that there is anything "wrong" with what I am saying.

Moore was brought in here to "help the red zone offense." That may include evaluating personnel efficacy and execution, but in a general sense those are the offensive coordinator's responsibilities. So he has come here, at the request of Rex, to address weaknesses that come under Schottenheimer's supervision. So personally I think Rex did the thing he did within his realm of capabilities, he recognized the weakness (Schotty) and brought in someone who could help (Moore) more than he could himself. And hopefully he is learning from Moore because I want Rex around until he retires.

I also think you're wrong and that Rex has intervened multiple times on the offensive side of the ball and decreed that we were going to ride or die with Ground and Pound in more than two occasions in their mutual tenure. What good would it be to slander your subordinates to the press? I'm sure Schottenheimer feels the heat. If you are on a team that has 1st and 3rd ranked defenses like the last two years, everyone knows the onus is on the offense to not lose games.

In my opinion, red zone offense is a huge test of the acumen of the coordinator because the offense is in a densely packed, high-intensity zone and you have to figure out how to get the ball across the goal-line while playing to your strength all the while catching the defense off guard.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying personnel is exclusive of red zone success. Quite the opposite. I just don't know that Plaxico is that much more of a threat than Braylon, and I feel that a healthy, one year younger LT is more of a red zone threat than Greene.

#132 Going4TheGreen, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  13. Big Blocker

14. Big Blocker

You make a couple of points and I am running out of time. I think we have covered the semantics enough for now.

Ftr I was a big Edwards fan last year, and there are things he did that I have not yet seen Burress do, including making key downfield blocks, which was a particular Edwards strong point. But I also have to acknowledge that Burress has the height and reach to be particularly effective in the end zone. He can use those attributes in a way that makes him harder to defend in the shortened field.

I think part if it is that red zone success is, if you will, more static, in the sense that if you catch it in the end zone, you've already achieved your goal. Elsewherre on the field success is measured by how much yardage that was reasonably available were you able to get, in the receiver's especially after the catch. Yards after the catch is often a function of hte receiver's speed.

I hope to circle bck here tomorrow.

15. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

This is a very good move on the Jets part. Sometime this season a lightbulb clicked about how much of a giant turd Schottenheimer is and someone woke up in a cold sweat that they couldn't just fire him because no one would be there to keep the offense afloat in a transition. This way Moore can keep the team going when/if Schottenheimer is fired, AND he can have a direct role in fixing this giant OC mess the Jets have been in for years

16. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

I still can't get over how hilarious his quote was as to why he was staying. Guess he just managed to finish his Christmas shopping right when the offense shit the bed. :rofl:

17. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

I give up. Big Blocker knows all. I feel like im talking to a wall.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

LOL. Soon to be a sig near you!

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It is a wall that knows how to spot a gay alliance when it sees one, and is fearful of peer recognition. And digs the Pigg.

20. franzman9

franzman9 Member

Schotty is not this creative....my belief is that moore is calling the O