Mets 2011-2012 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by southparkfanciz, Oct 30, 2011.

1. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Well at least they get an extra 1st rd draft pick this time. When they traded Billy Wagner at the deadline Boston got him for the rest of the season and two draft picks for him when he left. We got Chris Carter who did nothing for us and was gone in a year.

2. Long & Winding Rhode

They only get a sandwich pick (between the first and second round) and the Marlins THIRD round pick. So, not a good haul of draft pick compensation.

3. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

I don't know what it is about, all these free agents in sports all of a sudden going to Miami, but now the Marlins are expected to get Pujols?!? They've had like 10 fans go to their games last year....where the hell are they getting all this money from?

4. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

They have had the highest profit in baseball since 2007 I think according to Forbes. They have just been pocketing the revenue sharing money, plus they have kept salaries so low they built up a huge cash reserve.
    Since they are moving out of the suburbs to the new stadium in Little Havana, they are going to try and field a real team for once because selling out home games is more of a possibility now.

5. Cellar-door

They get the Marlins second (unless they sign Pujols, then it is a 3rd) the new CBA doesn't effect Reyes this offseason he is still designated as one of the last set of type A FAs who will get the old style of compensation.

And a sandwich and a 2nd under the new contract rules might be better than any offer they got at the deadline. Major leaguers would have been pointless and I don't remember any can't miss prospects being realistically speculated on.

6. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

On metsblog Cerrone asked if you would do Lucas Duda for Wade Davis and 60% of the people said no. To me, that would be an easy deal to do.

7. Long & Winding Rhode

Not true. As of now (without the Marlins signing Pujols), the Padres will get the Marlins' second rounder for losing Heath Bell. For some reason the Elias rankings rank Bell as better than Reyes.

If the Marlins sign Pujols, the draft pick comp would likely slide to a 4th rounder.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/36842/mets-might-get-3rd-round-pick-for-reyes

8. Cellar-door

I'm pretty sure Rubin is wrong he's forgetting that Bell is a modified A under the new rules, MIA doesn't lose a pick SD just gets another compensatory. So it will be a 2nd or 3rd depending on Pujols.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2011/11/free-agent-compensation-update/
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/modified-procedure-for-type-a-free-agents.html

9. Long & Winding Rhode

In the article, Rubin quotes an MLB official who says, "It will be treated like the old system, where San Diego gets a second-round pick as compensation (albeit not from Miami) and the Mets get a third-round pick from Miami in addition to the sandwich pick between the first and second rounds."

10. Cellar-door

hmm interesting, I hadn't seen that in anyone else's explanations, they had seemed to imply that a true type A trumped a modified A. We'll have to see how it plays out.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Well, Capuano cannot be counted on to stay healthy. He's no loss.

Jackson is the one they should try to get. The others? No.

Capps and Lidge are turds. Dotel might be okay for a year.

I attended my final Mets game in 2010. If my son does not become a Mets fan, I truly may never again attend a Mets home game. Plus, I very well may move out of the NY region within a few years, so there's that too.

Yeah, that's essentially my problem with the team now. Trying and then sucking is one thing. Not trying and sucking is something else- something that belongs in Kansas City or Pittsburgh.

I didn't watch one Mets game in its entirety in 2011 or 2010 (and that includes a game that I attended) and I'm not seeing any reason to watch a full Mets game in 2012 either.

I almost never put on the MLB Network anymore. I used to watch it a lot in 2010. I enjoyed that season due to all the great pitching. But 2011? Nothing. Most of you guys saw it from what I would write in the Mets series threads this past season. The franchise has sucked the baseball life out of me.

12. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

SNY reports the signing of Jon Rausch (Closer), Frank Francisco (closer) and the trade of Pagan to Giants for Torres and Ramon Ramirez (RP)

Rausch and Fransisco provide a solid back end of the bullpen. Ramirez is an impressive set up man. Torres and Pagan are basically clones of each other. Torres a little older at 34.

All good quality moves.

13. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

14. IATA

IATA Trolls

Enjoy them, I know I didn't. Torres was great when he wasn't hurt, except he was always hurt. If he's healthy, you'll love the guy.

And GOOOOODBYEEEEE RAMIREZZZZZZZ.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Mets acquired Jon Rauch.

That's it! I'm back on board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

16. Odd Neck Stems

Torres is significantly worse offensively, with a lower peak than Pagan, especially with his age. He can be a plus-plus defender, though, and should be fun to watch.

17. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

One down....Pelfrey to go.

Not having to see Pagan run around like a blindman in CF is an improvement

I like the Francisco signing.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This...... clearly why they didn't move him at the time, but now more of a reason to say FUCK YOU guys. I knew this was going to happen, but part of me thought "they'd have to be real idiots to not trade him if they're not going to resign him.... maybe he is staying?" bullshit.

This is how I feel. Can't believe we have a brick with our family name on it in front of that stadium...... my brother's heart is stronger than mine. The JETS drain too much of my will power and loyalty. Plus being in FL makes it easier to ignore. He has had a small season ticket pakage for the past 10 years...... /rant
    :breakdance:

19. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

They traded Pagan a year too late!

They would have gotten more value if they had done this last year! Torres has potential but like Pagan gets hurt all the time.

20. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Checking out the Reyes press conference.

I still can't believe those are seriously the new marlins unis.