Coaching Staff Pros and Cons for Skins Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfan987, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jetfan987

jetfan987 Member

Pros
    - Great job on challenging. especially the Fred Davis catch since the skins were trying to hurry up and get the next play called. Good work up in the booth and by Rex to make a quick call
    - Excellent adjustment by Pettine and the defense on the run. After the first drive it looked like we were in store for a long day. They made adjustments. Pace started to set the edge and the backers filled in the running lanes and that strectch run was controlled for the most part after that. It also helped that once they started to get pressure on Grossman he turned back into Groosman.
    - Love the 4th and short call on the first drive. It was real important to answer that early TD with a TD.
    - The return of the pump fake. Reminds me of the stop and go's to Braylon. Good job Schotty for stretching the field a bit.
    - Liked that they replace Kurley with Leonard for punt returns. I'd rather give up a few yards than have yet another turnover
    - Liked that they limited LT's action after the injury. I'm sure LT was begging for some plays, but a good job by Rex doing what is in the best interest of the player and team long term.
    - Liked that Rex realized that Greene should have taken a knee on the last TD. Could say he should have told this to him before the play, but I put this on Greene. I hope he finally learns his lesson. He should have done the same in the Pats playoff game last year

Cons
    - Shotty, please. Next time you have a 2nd and 1 take a shot down the field. He did it once and Sanchez floated one, but 3 other times we just ran and never got more than 3 yards. take advantage of the situation which has low risk. Most games are won on a few game breaking plays. I know it is good to get the 1st, but the Jets have so few big plays in their playbook, they need to take advantage of this.
    - Defense once again gave up a easy TD to start the game. Makes me think the pre week prep is not algined since they seem to be able to adjust later in the game.
    - Why every blitz Eric smith. He is too slow to get around the big blockers and too small to bull rush anyone. Send Leonard or Strickland from the outside, they seems to make it around the edge. Never send them up the middle. They just get lost in traffic.
    - I don't have an answer for this, but the Jets have to find a way to stop the TE's. This has been a consistent problem for years now. I'm sure some of he blame is in the personnel, but it is also the scheme. If you take out halfback receptions, I would bet the close to 50% of all receptions against the Jets are to TE's, and they are typically for big gains. How many times do we see a Jet defend trailing a TE's as he rumbles down the field.

2. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Scottenheimer - maddeningly predictable/conservative

3. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Pro's the same as yours.

Cons- 2nd and 1 and 2 pass plays. Just get the first next time.

4. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

i dnt have a problem opening up the playbook on 2nd and 1 with a nice play action... but if u dnt get it... u pound the rock for the first down... we should be able to get 1 yard when we need it...

and being in shotgun on 1st down and 2nd and short has got to stop... totally limiting what can be expected of the play...

been waiting for the slant-n-go to holmes all season... great time to call it

5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Con - Quit dicking around with our punt returners! Stick Leonhard back there and be done with it.

6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

con - five wide inside our own ten ... this has got to stop

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

How about some comments about that smug Westhoff, whose special teams are a joke these days. How about teaching these guys how to catch a punt.

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Con- giving Wayne Hunter a jersey

9. casman02

casman02 New Member

You covered most of the pros.
    Pro: Anthony Lynn (RB Coach) telling Mulligan he sucks (not sure this actually happened, but I hope it did)

Con: Need to stop wasting TOs on offense, especially in the 2nd half. I do not know if plays are not getting in fast enough or what the problem is

10. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Why, he was no good yesterday? Guy's playing much better.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Which sounds great untill an already thin saftey group loses thier best player on a punt return.

Kerley was fine before the injury. I'm not about to bench him for the season based on one fuck up and I don't want Jim back there taking extra shots.

12. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Strick is just too small to cover big TE's.
    On a positive, Strick did have 2 QB pressures.
    On 1 play Strick's blocker bumped into Grossman as he released the pass for an inc.

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Stop going shotgun/empty on critical short yardage play. Taking away the threat to run makes everything easier for the defense.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To the OP,

I think the failure to come up with an approach to limit opponents' TE play is certainly partly due to personnel limitations, but it stands out to me as the biggest failure over the last two years to be laid on the CS. I don't claim to be knowledgeable enough to know what the best answer is, and to some extent you see some of these very good to great TE's gashing every team they face. But the Jets supposedly have brilliant defensive coaches. Can't they come up with something better?

Someone else mentioned burning second half timeouts unnecessarily. I think at least the first one of those was a mistake by Sanchez.

15. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Con-The timeout called on 3rd and 17ish. I was screaming at the game, WHY?!?!?! You aren't converting that regardless, just take the delay of game and pocket the TO. Luckily we didn't need it, but still...

16. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

spoolios.com/index.php?spoolid=120

Behind bluster, Ryan’s one hell of a coach
    Mike Vaccaro
    Posted: 1:53 AM, December 6, 2011

There are some who can’t get beyond the bluster, or the swagger, or the confidence that usually borders on arrogance and sometimes spills across state lines. That is the thing about Rex Ryan: He can come across as a cartoon, a caricature, and that tends to obscure something:

He really is a hell of a coach.

“Even if we wanted to let ourselves get down,” linebacker David Harris was saying Sunday afternoon at FedEx Field, after the Jets had finished off the Redskins 34-16, “that man over there” — he pointed at Ryan, making his way through the narrow visitor’s locker room — “wouldn’t let us. He finds a way to get his message across.”

I’m going to give you a statistic now, and you can dismiss it, or you can qualify it, or you can ascribe what ever value — or lack thereof — you’d like. But after that victory in Landover, Md., two days ago, Ryan’s record with the Jets sits at 27-17. That’s a .617 winning percentage.

It also nudged him into first place on the Jets’ all-time list of winning percentage for coaches. Until Sunday at around 4:20 p.m, that distinction belonged to Bill Parcells, who was 29-19 from 1997-1999, a .604 mark.

OK: as Parcells himself would say about Ryan, we’re not going to hold off ordering an extra supply of clay to sculpt Rex’s bust for Canton just yet. And yes, being the Jets’ winningest coach is a bit akin to being the world’s tallest midget, since the only man other than Parcells and Ryan to have a career record with the Jets of better than .500 is Al Groh, who weighs in at a robust 9-7.

But whether you label the Jets a disappointment this year or not — and at 7-5, with lots of work left to secure a wildcard in a year when everyone in the organizations coveted a division title, it’s a fair label — there is little denying the Jets feel, and look, like a completely different franchise than they’ve looked at almost any other time in their history dating back to 1960.

The only other exception: The Parcells years, when it felt as if everything about the Jets had been transformed into the Giants, simply trading the blue in for green. As a result, as great as that era was, it felt transient even as it was happening, as if the Jets were merely borrowing something, like a library book.

This is something else. It would be a mistake to say that something else is something “permanent,” not after only two years, not with the looming task of sustaining what he’s built lying ahead of Ryan, a challenge that’s always lot harder than taking the first few steps out of the morass.

“We take our cue from him,” quarterback Mark Sanchez said not long ago. “He believes in us, and so we believe in us.”

It was interesting Sunday, too: On the other sideline, coaching the Redskins, was Mike Shanahan, owner of two Super Bowl rings, dubbed “Mastermind” during his glorious run in Denver.

Three years ago, Shanahan was fired by the Broncos exactly one day after Eric Mangini was let go by the Jets. Shanahan was one of three coaches rich with experience and success — Bill Cowher and Marty Schottenheimer were the other two — that a lot of Jets fans and media clamored for as a replacement.

The prevailing thought, then as now, is that certain coaches bring cachet and victory along with their names — the way Parcells did when he joined the Jets. It’s why you won’t stop hearing Cowher’s name attached to the Giants’ future until Tom Coughlin either gets a contract extension or is fired and replaced by someone else.

Now, there is risk attached to entrusting a rookie head coach. Mangini was. Herman Edwards was. Groh was. None of them worked out spectacularly for the Jets. But watching Shanahan squint and suffer through another rough Sunday in Washington — where his record is now 10-18 — it’s also obvious you might not always want to hire a coach for who he has been.

Sometimes, you hire him for what he might be. And sometimes, it even works out.

17. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

He almost lost the game for us with that blown holding in the endzone call, we should've had a safety against us there. We are lucky they didn't call that on him, and I saw a few other times where they didn't call holding on him. So no, he didn't have a good game.

18. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can understand struggling for a year on this, but this is the third year and it is still one of the biggest issues defensively.

As far as the 45 yard break down on the first drive to Davis, I read it was a communication error from Cro and thats why he was benched for K Dub on a series. So as mush as sometimes its a lack of scheme to stop it, player breakdown seems to be equally at fault.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. He had a bad game because of a play where nothing bad happened because of him???

20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

1) we shouldnt have been five-wide with that field position
    2) he wasnt in the endzone when he held, sanchez was but hunter was at the 1.5 yard line (stop listening to the announcers, most of them are clueless)
    3) he did have a good game but hes still a liability