"Organized Chaos"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KJet84, Dec 5, 2011.

1. KJet84

KJet84 Member

Hey guys..first of all, i was at the game yesterday and doin the JETS chant at the end of the game was just incredible!! The energy was amazing..

That being said, i wanted to make a comment about our defense..while we made great adjustments in the second half..this years D looks a lot different from the past 2 years. When Rex came in, i specifically remember Bart scott saying our defense was a form of "organized chaos"...we were gang tackling, playing fast, qbs had no idea who was coming, and we dictated what their offense was goin to do. We stopped the run at will and forced them into long situations all game.

Yet so far this year, i feel like opposing offenses r shifting around and makin our defense look unorganized and offbalance..especially with tightends and runningbacks..so i know we have all these theories on why the change this year (talent, pettine calling plays, losing BT) but i have a slightly idea that i was curious to get peoples thoughts on...how about the loss of Sal Alosi??

I was thinking yesterday that the defense looked slow and their running backs were breaking so many arm tackles..i couldnt help but wonder if the loss of Sal has affected the players strength and endurance..not all conditioning programs r built the same and its an unrecognized aspect ofthe sport that we take for granted..thoughts??

2. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Rex & Pettine are going with more DBacks to slow down passing games and these guys aren't strong enough to bring down runners.

Its the same principals as to why Maybin is a situation Rusher instead of being in 75% of the snaps. A RB like Peterson or DMC would literally drag Maybin 5 - 10 yards before being brought down.

The loss of some big bodies is sure to affect the game but I think Safety play is town and opposing OC's are seeing how the Pats attacked our D with TE's all day and they are using that forumal against us.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I think the loss of Bryan Thomas hurt a lot more than anyone expected.

4. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

this. i made this point in a previous thread. i think the loss of a big man on the edge who knew the system hurts us more than people realize.granted the loss of thomas may in some way be connected to the gain of may bin, but still we've been getting burned on the edges on run plays this year and thomas would've been nice to prevent that.

5. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Dude could stop the run with the best of them

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Except a lot of us expected it.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Our run D is worse because we lost Sal Alosi? Come on..

8. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

notsureifserious.jpg

jets lost a bench press coach. You know how many people there are out there that know 10x what that guy did?

9. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Was Sal tripping running backs behind the line of scrimmage?

10. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

BT on IR has definately hurt the run D.
    And the few games Devito has been out.

11. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Sal Alosi is still the fall guy

12. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Teams were running on the D when Bryan Thomas was healthy. His absence has hurt a bit, sure, but not too significantly.

It's a combination of things. Ellis gone, DeVito hurt, Thomas out, more DBs on the field, older/slower LB, lockout rust..

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's the chicken and the egg thing...swagger comes as a result of kicking ass. So far, well.

But our D has been playing better of late, and if we DO win the next few games putting a 5-6 game win streak together, you may start to see some of that swagger showing up just in time for the playoffs.

14. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I agree with all of this. The problem with our defense isn't the loss of Thomas (although that certainly didn't help.) It certainly isn't the loss of Sal fucking Alosi.

The problem is that we've gotten older and slower, and downgraded at safety in a league where the rules are favoring offenses more and more.

15. EnigmatiC

EnigmatiC Member

I feel like we used to move around a lot more on defense pre-snap. I don't know if that's an excuse as to why we have gotten worse on that side of the ball but I just thought it was interesting.

16. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I think sometimes we give our previous defenses a little to much credit. Granted I agree our defense this season looks less organized and overall worst then in the past. But some of these issues I think if you look at threads from last year or in some cases the year before we've been complaining about the same issues.

I know for a fact we've all had an effective pass rush or pass rusher on our list the last the 2 seasons. I also remember complaining about constantly giving up big 3rd and longs last year.

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

give yourself a cookie

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Huh did U watch the 1st half of the Skins game last Sunday? The run D allowed there O to run rough shod over us & our P/rush or whatever U call it could not generate any pressure on there QB. Sure in the 2nd half things improved a tad but if we allow better teams then the Skins to push us around like they did then we are in for major crash landing :sad:

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

After the first drive our defense played well. We do need to find a way to get off to a better start though. Our defense used to be so great at starting games off with a 3 and out which was why it was so easy for Rex to defer the coin toss.

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I think losing Jenkins was difficult because he was an anchor for the LBs and other D-linemen....once the offense knew they couldn't work the middle, there'd be things the the defenders could sue to identify the playside.

As for shifts and movement by the offense, it helps make the D predictable because the players on D have to accoutn for everyone on offense even when they are trying to make it look like anything goes. So you shift a TE, a safety/CB/LB has to react. You go from a 1 back set to empty and someone has to cover that RB.... it's kind of impossible to make up for that. The offense will always be able to make a defense line up more like a standard defense.