Sanchez interception today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Nov 27, 2011.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

How exactly is simple, an interception deep in your territory is at best 3 points to the other team, where as a safety is 2 points and a chance for you defense to prevent any further points after the punt kick after the safety. Like I said if you trust your Defense a safety is better than a pick in your side of the field...of course neither is desireable.

That said, the safety argument, as in there would have been a safety if he had thrown in Green's area, is a weak argument as the odds of it being called a safety if it's in Green's vacinity is basically nil. I don't remember the last time I saw a grounding call when there was an eligable reciever in the area of the ball.

2. cantwaitt

cantwaitt New Member

he had none yesterday!

3. 1968jetsfan

Like I said, if you trust your defense shorter field or not it's not a 9 point swing. But as I've stated repeatedly, the safety was hardly a given in fact if properly thrown in the area of Green the odds of a safety is practically nil.

the Sanchez apologists need to realize and except that Sanchez made a mistake, the same mistake he frequently makes, he locks onto a reciever, stares the reciever and makes poor decisions. Period. I'm in no way saying Sanchez should be replaced, in part because we have noone to replace him with, but I'm not going to blind myself to his glaring mistakes and drink the Sanchez coolaide either.

Let's face it, Yes Mark has "won" some big games, but the games by and large were won not by Mark but by the Defense.

In Marks 3 seasons he and the Jets are 6-13 in games where they've given up more than 20 points. Their 25-6 when the Defense gives up 20 or fewer points. That includes being 10-4 when the Defense gives up 10 or fewer points. Sanchez has never led the team to victory in a shoot out and has only beaten a team one time when the defense has given up as many as 25 points once. And those stats are including his BIG games in they playoffs.

That is not the tag of a franchise Quarterback over 50 games. yes the Jets have a winning record, but they have it because they have had a crushing defense and a below league average offense.

4. 1968jetsfan

And Mark had a decent game yesterday, not great, but decent. No mistakes to speak of.

5. 1968jetsfan

Well if your going to talk absolutes there's no promise that they'd score a FG or TD granted, but it's also unlikely that if you execute the dump properly you don't get flagged for grounding and hence no Safety.

The play call was poor, but so was the play execution. There is nothing that says you have to throw in to triple coverage.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. Sanchez could have thrown the ball away and risked the safety. I will bet you that 9 times out of 10 any NFL QB and Mark Sanchez in particular tries to complete the pass instead given those circumstances.

If he'd drawn the safety by throwing it away you guys would have savaged him for not at least trying to make a play in such a risky situation. Really once the play devolved the way it did a pick or a safety seem to be the two most likely results. That's a bad play call.

Now throw in the fact that Sanchez, who doesn't alibi for himself as we've observed time and again and who doesn't ever throw teammates under the bus, said that he expected Holmes to sit down in the zone (a patented Jerrico Cotchery move btw) and it seems that not only was the play-call bad but the communication between Sanchez and his receiver was also flawed.

7. 1968jetsfan

I wouldn't have savaged him IF he threw the ball in the area of a receiver. Now if he threw the ball to a completely empty portion of the field yeah that I'd call a bone head move. But the fact remains there were other options besides throwing into triple coverage. Infact if Sanchez was able to read defenses he would have known that play was a no go much earlier in the process and left himself more options. But as has been repeatedly pointed out. He locks onto recievers, he's slow to read coverages....

Addendum, as for 9 out of 10 QB's making that throw anyways...I doubt that. But those that do make that throw anyways usually wind up with Picks.

Not calling for Mark's head, but I'm going to call a bone head play a bone head play....it is what it is.

#267 1968jetsfan, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

He's retarded. There is no arguing with him he simply just does not understand.

9. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Moving out of the pocket

I just don't understand why the Jets don't put plays in where Mark moves out of the pocket more. This is one of his strengths. Cimini was pointing out that Mark's accuracy goes up considerably when he moves out of the pocket. You see Denver change the playbook to accommodate Tebow. I'm not asking for the Jets to change the MO which is ground and pound. However running more screens, moving Mark out of the pocket would I think make a Mark's completion percentage better.

One final point. If you watch the Jets the receivers seem to get little separation from the defense. Although Plaxico is great in the red zone we don't have anyone to stretch the field. Mark definitely needs to improve but the play calling for his skill sets sucks.