Martin "Warned" Jets To Pick RB In Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 227. Row 5, Aug 7, 2006.

1. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They had no running game before Dillon, in fact that was their glaring weakness during that time, and also they were lucky in finding a soon to be HOFer QB with a 6th rounder along with a good defense so their need in a RB was less, however that didn't stop them from getting Dillon a couple of years ago

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Blaylock you may pass for mediocre although he is coming off of injury, and if quite good to you is barely more than 3 ypc than I don't want to know what our running game would look if you thought it was bad.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You still have to draft O linemen first. A lot of backs are good when you can block, most of them suck when you can't. Curtis included.

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

While that is true, Crappy RBs won't magically turn into great RBs no matter what kind of oline they have, because if that was the case than RBs would be drafted like kickers, and not as high as they have always been drafted

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

True, but we needed a line, so even if the story was true and Martin "warned the Jets", they did the right thing. Curtis himself couldn't run behind the line we had, even when Mawae was in there.

6. MillerTime#22

MillerTime#22 Active Member

From what i hear there are to be some real good back available in 2007 draft. We can see what we have with Houston, Blaylock, and Washington and then in April '07 get a decent rb with our mid first round pick. Think we may be picking from 10-15, can definately get a good back there.

7. Z-Dog

Z-Dog New Member

I guess you guys just don't know much about Chris Brown.

Chris Brown was drafted in the third round in 2003. The Titans let Eddie George walk, and handed Brown the job in 2004. He played for 11 games, and gained 1,067 yards on 220 carries, for 4.9 ypc, and 6 TDs. He also caught 20 balls fot about 150 yards. Through most of the first 11 games of the season he led the NFL in rushing yards. His season projects out to over 1,400 yards and about 9 TDs. He went out for the last five games with a turf toe (caused by his upright running style, hah).

The Titans offense fell apart last year, with injuries to McNair and the receivers. But Brown was pretty healthy, playing in 15 games. He had a much more difficult season, gaining only 851 yards on the ground. However, he gained 327 yards catching the ball, gaining an astounding 13.1 yards per reception, and he scored a total of seven TDs.

The guy has serious big-play ability, and if you can get him in some space, he is terrific. He's got better stats than Steven Jackson, Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, or even Caddilac Williams. Brown has outperformed every RB drafted since 2003 except three: Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson, and Domanick Davis (and him only b/c Davis started for three years to Brown's two). Getting Chris Brown for a 2nd would be a massive steal.

8. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Good stuff. I couldnt believe what the other guy was saying(the one you quoted). He practically got everything wrong about Chris Brown. The only knock on Brown is that hes injury prone, but hes a real threat. I remember 2 years ago, the kid would almost always get 100 yds rushing in the first half of the game, then get injured. Through half a football game he was good for a 100 yds. I think he would work out here if we made him share carries to keep him healthy, but then again I dont think an injury prone player is worth a 2nd rounder

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Getting Brown for a 2nd rounder would be a terrible deal. Are you right that Brown has ability? Sure. He has the ability to be a nice starter. But he never stays healthy, and he fumbles a LOT. 2 things you need out of a runningback are ball control and health. A runningback who can do neither is pretty useless. He's the type of guy you trade like a 4th rounder for, try to fix his fumbling problems, and enjoy him for 10 games a year. No way you trade a first day pick for a guy who can't hold the football or stay healthy. Lamont Jordan couldn't get a second rounder, and there's no way in hell Chris Brown will.

10. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

More than 3 YPC behind a horrible line riddled by injuries. By quite good I'm also directing you to his moves/technique and the way he grinds away into the pile.

3 YPC last year will bring us to much more favorable #'s this year. I'll be serving your crow mid-season.

11. lightning

lightning Active Member

Chris brown has all the ability to make big plays. Which right now, is what we need. It's a tough call but it's going to depend on how the staff feels about brown.

12. Z-Dog

Z-Dog New Member

Brown doesn't fumble a lot - he lost 4 fumbles on '04 and 3 in '05. Maybe we're spoiled by Curtis, who just doesn't fumble, but Brown isn't a big fumbler by the numbers. As for health, it's true that injuries have been an issue and that he should share carries with a bigger back like Houston. But that's also what makes him available, relatively inexpensive, and a good fit with our personnel. Chris Brown is a gamble, but so is a 2nd-round pick - just look at all the other backs taken since 2003, and see that Brown had outplayed them all (except the three I noted).