Trent Dilfer on Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RunLeonRun, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Except, in various interviews Simms, Billick, and Irvin have expressed similar sentiments.

(And I know I'm leaving one other out, but it escapes me at the moment.)

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I do recall that discussion quite well, and I think I was somewhere in the middle on it, but in fairness we should also note that the problems that flowed from Mangold's being out also delayed Sanchez's ability to get up to seepd with his newer receivers. And don't forget Cumberland, either, now that i think about it, and how Mason was tried but did not work out.

So maybe this is cause for optimism going forward, although I would not say so based on the Buffalo game.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I've heard Simms on the subject, and did not hear him voice a definitive conclusion that the OC is the primary cause of Jet problems on O.

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Yep, Mangold's injury was crucial. And Turner's injury, along with the lack of progress that was expected from Hunter (throw in Ducasse too) -- all contributing factors.

But that's why I think play-design is the most accurate criticism because you can remove a lot of other variables that contribute to the Offense's woes and still see that these plays (specifically, the WRs routes) are often garbage.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

TDESPN Trent Dilfer
    “@NYJET_Prime: @TDESPN Trent my friend, please reply. Were you criticizing Sanchez or backing up the point that it's a team issue"team issue

6. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

He didn't say anything that isn't true. He listed the mechanical problems Sanchez is having because that is what he knows best, he had a pretty decent career with less than ideal physical gifts by studying his mechanics and refining them. Sure the O-Coordinator shares blame, as do the receivers. He is pointing out that all of the things are issues. The offense is predictable, when they do call deep throws one of 4 things happens, the O-line doesn't hold up, the WR fails to get seperation, Mark Checks down, or Mark makes a bad throw. Those are all true, it isn't a zero sum game, Mark shares responsibility with Schotty, those saying it is one or the other's fault are idiots.

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

We Don't Know Football

8. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

We should see if Dilfer wants to play for us. It's worth a shot.

9. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

He does have a ring. That means he'll win another.

10. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

[​IMG]

11. perfectpackage99

In my opinion Sanchez is 60% of the problem, Schotty 40%, Sanchez is an inferior quarterback in this league,

12. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

How can you lead the league in comeback drives and only be in your 3rd season and be an inferior QB?

The problem is the OC.

13. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

you failed to post the best part of that movie..

14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Basically with average help across the board Sanchez would be having a better season. However what he actually has is a hole at RT and several receivers who are not all that familiar with the scheme and trying to get by on physical ability instead of actually learning the in's and out's of the offense.

He also has an offensive coordinator who is convinced, despite all the evidence that has piled up to the contrary, that his system works well and that his play-calls help instead of detract from the overall effort.

If you put Sanchez in ideal circumstances he'd be headed for 12-4 right now. If you put him in average circumstances he'd be going 10-6. He's probably headed for 9-7 and some of that will be his faut but most of it will be the below average circumstances he's playing in.

2009 and 2010 were much better circumstances than what the Jets present this year.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The problem is that you're a 3rd year QB that didnt have the Manning or Brady 3rd year.

And no one gets it.

17. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I call Bullshit on this. Any QB can go 11-5 or 12-4 in ideal circumstances, hell Alex Smith is going to do it in SF, Matt Cassel did it in NE.

The thing is ideal circumstances are exceedingly rare, the Jets have one of the better rosters in the league, and the simple fact is that Sanchez is an average QB at best right now. You can win with that (Dilfer being the most overused example) but everything else has to go well.

Great and even Good QBs succeed despite their teams weaknesses, Brady, Manning, Brees, Hell even Matt Ryan playing behind a swiss cheese O-line with a bad D is dragging his team to the playoffs.

Is Sanchez a terrible QB? No, however because of the investment in him he has to step up soon and become a positive or be cut for financial reasons. You can find a guy to be average for way less money and build a better team. You only pay a QB a big chunk of the budget if he is going to win you games, if he needs a perfect situation then might as well get a Dilfer/Orton type and spend the extra 12 million on O-line and S help.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yep. When the players are good, the OC looks good. When the players aren't good, the OC looks bad. I don't like Schottenheimer either, but getting rid of him isn't the only issue with this offense, far from it.

The receivers on our team never seem to get separation. Part of that is route combinations, I'm sure, but most of that is on our receivers to get open. The OL isn't helping either.

Plus, it's hard to tell always on TV what routes are run. Even at the game, I'm not always paying attention to that, looking moreso at the trenches and Sanchez.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with you totally. We need to come to grips with Sanchez capabilities in relationship to the rest of the offense. Sanchez is not the elite QB that can take an average offense and make it great (read Brady) but with an elite supporting cast in offense Sanchez can become a very good QB. Right now our team is not elite in offense and will take more than Sanchez improvements to get us there.

20. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

I think you need to include WRs route running(and lack thereof), and OL protection too