Mock Draft from a Part-Time Draftnik

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Nov 30, 2011.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Round 1 - D.J. Fluker OT Alabama 6-6 335 5.09
    Draft eligible redshirt sophomore with great size and agility who paves the way for Trent Richardson. He'd be an immediate starter at RT replacing Hunter.

Round 2 - Xavier Rhodes CB/S Florida State 6-1 215 4.56
    Another redshirt sophomore with advanced cover skills who plays like the run like a weak side linebacker. His timed speed, size and physicality makes him an ideal CB/safety conversion candidate a la Antrel Rolle and Jarius Byrd.

Round 3 - Vinny Curry DE/OLB Marshall 6-4 263 4.74
    Local product from Neptune, NJ who is a fast, explosive and more importantly consistent pass rusher. He has averaged double digit sacks the past 2 seasons despite facing double teams.

Round 4 - A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois 6-0 190 4.49
    Productive WR with some big play ability. Reminds me a lot of Denarius Moore from last year's draft.

Round 5 - Kevin Koger TE Michigan 6-4 258 4.49
    Blocking TE with better hands than his production might suggest. His statistics would probably look much better if he was in a more conventional offense.

Round 6 - Winston Guy Jr SS Kentucky 6-1 216 4.57
    The Wildcats best athlete who plays a hybrid safety/linebacker position on defense like Eric "Burnt" Smith. Hopefully he would replace Smith in that role. Also a very good teams player.

Round 7 - Stephen Garcia QB South Carolina 6-2 232 4.85
    This guy is a headcase who should probably not get drafted but there is some talent there. I think Brunell just celebrated his 102nd birth day and McElroy's intangibles will not make his arm any stronger.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think Fluker may stay at Bama another year. Also, you have him overvalued, he's not worth a Mid/Late-Teen 1st Rd pick, where I expect the Jets selecting.

Rhodes is a great player, but If he stayed another year he could be a top 15 pick. I'm not too sure spending a 2nd Rd pick on a player you might move to Safety. We don't need another CB, even if Cro is gone, that early in the draft.

Curry is a solid prospect, but probably will be a Mid to late 2nd Rd player.

I like to have a bigger WR in the mix.

I really like Winston Guy late in the draft, could be a special team standout.

I want no part of Garcia.

3. casman02

casman02 New Member

Ehhh I don't love it. I could live with Fluker if he comes out. I do think he will project to a late first round grade.

I see Rhodes staying at CB and possibly at FSU.

I am pretty sure Curry will be gone by the third round, but I would like to pick him up in the second.

I am looking for a taller receiver in the mold of Plax, likely in Rd 2-3

I could live with Koger cause I would like a blocking TE late

I think guy is decent, but do not want him here. He is in the mold of Eric Smith, but Smith is not going anywhere.

As a South Carolina fan trust me, you want no part of Garcia. If you think Sanchez is incosistent and makes bad decisions occassionally, then Garcia will blow your mind. I hope for a more veteran backup to the Sanchize

4. legler82

Where do you project him? Late first or not going in the first round at all? My thought process was to take him there in case there was a run on tackles like there was in 08.

Agreed. I hoping that greed would make him declare. In my mind, he has the most all-pro safety potential out of all the draft eligible players

I would be drafting him as my starting safety with the added bonus that he can play CB if I ever needed it. In 09 Buffalo drafted Jairus Byrd in the second and moved him to safety immediately and that worked out pretty well. If the Cardinals did the same with Rolle, they probably would have gotten more out of him in the years he was there.

Yeah, I've seen anywhere from late first to late third in terms of where he projects. So the second round is probably the safest bet. This would be dream scenario he falls here.

Small or big I just want speed, quickness and the ability to get consistent separation.

Normally, I wouldn't but some reason I like the guy at least to the point I wouldn't mind spending a 7th round pick on him or bring him in an UFA but no more.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

^

I really don't think Fluker will declare, but you never know. IMO, I don't believe Fluker is worthy of a 1st rd pick, I've seen him struggle at times. I would say he would be a mid 2nd Rd Value at this point.

Magilla is an avid Bama fan and can fill you in everything concerning Fluker.

6. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

the current thinking process is that everyone believes Fluker needs another year to develop, but there may be family pressure to declare and grab the money

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The only time you take a RT in the first round is if your QB is lefthanded.

8. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

I'm starting to believe Fluker will leave, but not because he's projected in the 1st Round. His family needs money bad, 2nd-3rd round money will suffice.

This is his 4th year playing offensive line in his life, so he falls in the "Project" pile IMO. He's got great physical attributes, he'll freak people out at the combine(He ran an electric 4.9 40 at 390 pounds in HS). He's got bad technique though, too much wasted movement and has a "tell" that could give away pass/run plays in the NFL.

Isn't the West Coast Offense "conventional"?

No, no, no, no, no.

Garcia is Mark Sanchez with no legitimate upside and an addictive personality. The only reason he would be worth bringing around Sanchez is to show Mark what not to be, even then you risk "poisoning" him...

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Since you think he falls into the project column, do you think he can start day one and be better than Wayne Hunter? I havent really seen much of him, and we all know what happened to out last "project" on the line...

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

There are a bunch of teams that play a 3-4 that could select Vinny Curry at the end of the 1st round (49ers, Steelers, Packers, etc.). Unless he completely bombs at the combine (unlikely, since his game is predicated on speed), we'd be lucky if he's available by the time we're on the clock in the 2nd round.

11. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Jason Smith, Anthony Davis, and Andre Smith are all examples of former first round picks who play right tackle.

#11 Vorrecht, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  12. MagillaGuerilla

The thing that worries me is that at Bama, they give him TE help almost 80% of the time with Michael Williams(who is 6-6, 270), so I assume he'd need the same help in the NFL.

I think he is acquaint enough with higher level competition compared to Vlad to play earlier, but he needs still needs some work. He's probably better than Wayne Hunter in runblocking, but I don't know if I'd leave him on an island in pass pro. He "flails" when dropping back, which could allow DEs to steer him into the backfield. He needs an OL coach to clean up his mechanics, and Callahan could be that guy.

Although Joe Pendry, his OL coach for 2 years at Bama, is held in high regard when it comes to teaching OL, yet Fluker still plays with iffy technique. It might be bad habits he can't shake...

13. legler82

Brian Bulaga, Michael Oher, Gosder Cherilus and Jeff Otah are more recent 1st round RTs drafted by teams with right-handed QBs. Don't know if that theory of only drafting RTs in the first for left-handed QBs holds true.

14. legler82

Sounds like it's more realistic if I were to switch the rounds Fluker and Curry are picked. Curry or some other DE/OLB prospect in the first and Fluker or some other OT prospect (i.e., Andrew Datko) in the third.

15. legler82

Meant for his collegiate career.

Jeez..tell me how you really feel. Do you think a team will bring him in at least as an UFA?

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

+Bryan Bulaga

Edit: Didnt see the other addition... My B

17. MagillaGuerilla

He might get a tryout by someone, but he doesn't deserve it.

He was given countless shots at USCe by Spurrier(because he didn't want to lose his "star" QB), yet Garcia managed to blow every last one of them. He's not even on the team anymore, Spurrier finally saw enough in Conner Shaw to cut ties.

I really don't know how you waste talent you don't even have, but Garcia managed to pull it off...

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

But they all failed at LT, so did the others listed.

Gabe Carimi is our answer. He's a late 1st rnder who is a full time RT.

19. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the reason Bulaga fell because the league decided he could be a RT only? I was under the impression Bulaga was drafted (as was Carimi) with only the intention of them being right tackles.

But as for the others, I agree, they were all drafted with LT intentions, and didnt make the cut.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Drafting a RT in Rd 1 isn't a concern, especially with the scaled rookie wage scale. In fact, it might be a good move, since they could backup D-Brick if he goes down.

There just isn't going to be too many OT's available in the Mid to Mid/Late Rd 1.

Don't be surprised if Jonathan Martin's stock drops. Some have Martin in the Top 5-10 area, which is overated, his play hasn't been in top form recently.

I really don't expect the Jets to go OT in Rd 1, especially with the OLB & ILB talent available.