Sanchez interception today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Nov 27, 2011.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

sorry... maybe i wasnt clear.

my point was:

your BEST option on that play, is hoping to find a TE, whose assignment on that play is pass protection, and to throw it as his feet for a non-grounding incompletion.

i just dont believe thats a great spot to put your QB in, while standing in his own endzone. if you were looking for "not a safety or turnover" thena dive play to greene/connor/mcknight would have worked a lot better

2. jerseyjay14

why design a play where your second option is "have my quarterback run from 3 yards deep in the endzone and dive to the 1 or 2 yardline to avoid a safety"?

that sounds like setting your squad up for failure. sanchez execution was poor/worst case. point is, best case was kind of a negative as well. and the diea of an OC is to put your qb in a position to succeed, not fail. and on that play his 4 or 5 only options were all fails.

3. The_W

The_W Banned

AYFKM?

Dive for no gain? You see that the LOS is a good 8-9 yards away from where Mark is throwing the ball. And if he tries to step up there is a good possibility that Hunter's rusher is gonna get to him, spelling disaster. Either way he is never getting back to the LOS, questionable if he would've even gotten out of the endzone.

The play was a total failure, which is not that suprising considering who the OC is for this team, but I'm not acquitting Sanchez completely here either. Of course I acknowledge he made a bad throw there, but like I said already, he didn't have that many options.

4. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

aaaah right

i didnt understand it at first, but yeah, that would be the best option

agree with you

5. stech

stech Member

Thanks for posting the pics of the play; I was down on Sanchez immediately after witnessing that abortion of a play, but this clarifies things. IMO, as already stated numerous times by others, is a glaring example of piss poor playing calling that sets Sanchez up for failure, yet I don’t want to dismiss his poor throw on the play, either.

My question is, while reviewing the game film, will Rex see this as a bad play call and call out Shotty or will this crap somehow be overlooked and excused. From the less knowledgeable fans perspective, I don’t see how you can review this and not come away without saying, wtf was this garbage. And if the general consensus within the organization is that this play call sucked ass, why is it tolerated? I don’t get it…

6. jerseyjay14

my assumption on the above question is that rex doesnt really spend time looking at the offense, and leaves that up to shotty, who probably still thinks this play should have gone for a 96 yard touchdown

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I guess I wasnt clear on the part of my stance that the play design was retarded. Thats what we get for having Schott and thats a seperate issue.... I'm saying, in that situation (nobody open, deep in your own end) the smart thing would be to eat the ball for no gain. He was deep in the pocket but it was a clean pocket I believe he could have got back near the LOS instead of forcing a putrid throw akin to a pick six. That was a poor decision regardless of the shitty play design.

8. jerseyjay14

is it? it was kind of the entire point of this thread.... that the play design was awful, and basically put us in a position to fail.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

And I agree with that premise, what I'm saying is that that shouldn't mask Sanchez's poor decision making. He has good and bad moments, but he's spotted the other team 7 pts in the majority of those bad decisions. That can't be happening in the playoffs.

10. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

If you are going to draw up a play call that runs 1 man in a route, you better not have him running a route in the middle of the field where he's easier to get to. You run a double move streaking deep towards the sideline where there is less chance of double/triple coverage.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That's right. Greene is still ENGAGED with the LB, bc of the fake handoff.

In your pic, the Ball is in the Air.

If Greene releases, and the Fake is to the Upback,(connor) then the DB is forced to cover Greene, and the pass is a complete.

12. Hobbes3259

Scik, see above,

Regardless of the Sanchez sux Aholes. He beats Over/Under all day long. 6 or 7 times in this game alone.

The problem was not holding the DB over the HB coming out.

13. Hobbes3259

Dude, thats a bang-bang play. No decision making involved.

Look up, See the over under, let it go.

The ASSUMPTION is that the CB is sitting over Greene.

14. Hobbes3259

Right.

The correct play design is the fake to Connor (which they had already run), with Greene challenging the LB wide and forcing the CB over the top.

15. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Wow, only a great QB can take a Max protect pass play and turn it into a thread like this.

Our princess pretty much has a book out on him that says hit him early and watch him wilt. So Schotty calls a pretty safe play for 95% of the QB's in the league, the bills blitz heavy and Holmes is running a route at the safety. If they play zone Holmes clears out the deep coverage and Green runs a delayed route in the vacated area of the field. If nothing is open throw a ball that can't be caught.

How hard of a progression is that???? Schottys too rigid but dealing with a idiot at QB has to be frustrating, when even simple plays go terrible.

16. jerseyjay14

in what world is a play with only 1 wideout, who is triple covered, and no other options, while standing in your endzone a "safe" play. you want a safe play how about a dive to green or a designed roll out with a back TE and WR all headed to the sidelines at different depths.

only:

1) they didnt blitz

2) holmes had 3 guys on him

3) even if green did make it out of the backfield, there were still 6 defenders in coverage

again, throwing it away is tough when there is only 1 reciever, and he is in the middle of the field, surrounded by 4 bills. play was set up for failure, and dead before the snap.

17. Hobbes3259

Dipshit.

THERE IS NO PROGRESSION.

Throw, or give up 2.

Do you even watch the games?

18. ppls17

ppls17 Member

This play had me screaming at tv. Sanchez has no good choice to make but def throws a horrible pass. My initial thoughts were that mulligan was supposed to go out in coverage and take some of the coverage to the left side. Then having green take more to the right leaving holmes in the middle and maybe misread the play before the snap. But im sure it was just an awful play design. It amazes me how often these awful plays are drawn not just a 1 person route while in endzone but how many times all the wrs in a play end up in same spot allowing to defense to just cover an area

19. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Hay Dipshit, there is always a progression. He took a 5 more steps after the fake. 1 route and a check down should neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr end with a pick.

Max protect is a safe play that a highschool QB should be able to run without turning the ball over. You're expecting a heavy Blitz, you dont get one and you still turn the ball over???? Bush league quarterbacking at it's worst.

20. The Mak

The Mak New Member

What is this garbage? This is a giant block of smurf shit nobody wants to read.

Have you read ANY of the posts in the last 3 plays of this thread? Who is Sanchez's option on the play? Holmes and the Invisible Man? Greene is involved in a block and then is covered by a LB, Holmes ran a stupidly designed route right in the middle of the defensive backfield. This play design and the calling for it in this situation is an indictment of our clown excuse of an OC.