Stevie Johnson's TD celebration

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjrkm06, Nov 27, 2011.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

who cares about a td celebration? it shouldn't be a penalty at all, the fact that it is a penalty is an indication of how lame the nfl has become.

2. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

The NFL started cracking down on the celebrations because it became more talked about than the actual touchdown, and sometimes game. I mean, Johnson was the one who should've just quit while he was ahead and pulled that Plax shit, but when you drop to the ground like that it's delaying the game and him making an ass of himself, his team, the league, and the game itself.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It was classless, and Karma is a bitch.

4. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

That penalty put you guys right back in the game. And Screw Gailey for attempting an onside kick when kicking from the 20 yardline!!

5. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

I don't quite get the Shawne Merriman tweet during the game.

"Never tweet during the game but what @StevieJohnson13 did was disrespectful & not needed & should never happen in the #NFL so ill pay half the fine HA!"

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Pulling a stuff animal dog and tearing it up? Or using the football as a dog as you are walking it on a leash and then stomp on it? It'd be in real poor taste but you have to be consistent if your mocking an idiotic move made by football player going to prison.

Plax was not the only one who did something stupid to put themselves in jail...I am surprised at the fact how a lot of NFL players actually still look up to and idolize Vick.

7. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

Kind of before my time but my dad pretty routinely shakes his head after the exagerrated celebrations and caps it off with a "What ever happened to the Gastineau sack dance rule??" Kind of funny what happens in half a generation.

8. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

He's basically calling the NFL a NoFunLeague

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I know various news reports are claiming it was an onside kick, but that wasn't the intention. They didn't want to kick it deep to McKnight from the 20 and risk a long return, so it clearly was supposed to be a low line drive that would be picked up by an up man around the 30 or so. Instead it hit Marquice Cole and bounced right back, and he was able to cover it.

10. mystikol

mystikol New Member

That would actually be really funny. Mark should be a good enough actor after all those commercials....

11. cobrien

cobrien Member

First off the Dougie is an actual dance (Doug E Fresh cica 1986) Secondly as far as I can remember that was mostly Braylon Edwards and yes he did get penalized for it a few times and he is no longer with the Jets probably in part for shit like that but to compare that to this is simply foolish.

That was some evil shit Steve Johnson pulled just to get a laugh, the Jet thing in my eyes was a mock of Holmes and the rest of the teams trademark celebration, fair game. But to poke fun at Plaxico's accident, injury and jail time (albeit stupid) was just tasteless. He's an idiot and moron who doesn't even have the intelligence to think of his own slogan.....what a Joker wannabe.

Oh yes and not to mention those golden hands, he actually looked at Fitzpatrick like it was a bad throw after the drop late in the game, what a tool LOL

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

We figured that out watching it from upstairs, Johnson set the chain of events in motion by getting the penalty. I think it was the length of the celebration that got him flagged, if he quit after the Plax thing he'd probably have gotten away with it.

From above that end zone we didn't catch the gun thing, but when he did the jet crashing the ref threw the flag. Reading quotes on Twitter after the game, I couldn't figure out what was so "classless" about the jet crashing until I learned of the gun thing. Plax didn't even have a problem with it.

13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

coudlnt agree more... tasteless or not, if u dont want himm doing it then dont let him get in the endzone

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I think the NFL takes this stuff too seriously. The guys are just having fun after a huge play. I got a nice chuckle out of the celebration. I saw no real problem with it, it was just premature because they lost the game. It obviously wasn't about 9/11, it was about the JETS crashing (ie our team losing) and a joke on Plax. It was childish, and the Bills paid the price for it, but I personally don't mind when teams celebrate big TDs like that. We all loved the Greene and Rex celebration during the Jets playoff win vs the Pats. Don't lie. The NFL (Goodell) needs to loosen up. The purpose of a game is to have fun.

#74 Barcs, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

He was only flagged once for this and it wasn't because of the dance itself. He did it in the face of a Patriot DB and was flagged for taunting, not excessive celebration or delay of game.

16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

He wasn't attempting an onside kick. Rayner was trying to kick deep and simply mishit it.

It was partially Rayner's fault for screwing it up, and partially Johnson's fault for putting Rayner in a difficult position (normally when you're kicking off from the 35, you'll be kicking from a higher trajectory. Here, he had to try for a line drive).

17. swifty_0

swifty_0 New Member

I had two problems with it.

First: The fact that it was in poor taste. Plaxico served his time in jail. He made a mistake and payed the price, he missed the birth of his child...there is absolutely no need to rub it in or be a jackass like that.

Second: I don't know if anyone noticed, but he also mocked Holmes' plane celebration by crashing into the ground. Once again in poor taste for a state that has experienced their fair share of grief with planes. No need to make fun of a plane crashing.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Turns out I was half right. Going to the ground is what got him flagged, not the length of the celebration. So had he quit after the gun thing there would have been no flag, whatever your opinion of it.

19. FLorida-Jet

FLorida-Jet Banned

Going after Plaxico during a game, in regards to Plax himself going to jail during a celebration is wrong, for the simple fact, the only person Plaxico hurt was himself. With all that said, hopefully someone mocks Mike Vick with an animal getting tortured type of TD celebration. They say everyone in life deserves a second chance, but after torturing, fighting, drowning, throwing/slamming into the walls, electrocuting and killing innocent dogs... Mike Vick is one person who should have never been given a second chance (by the NFL). Just my thoughts, but Stevie Johnson dropping a wide open pass, that could have won the game, was just as funny, if not funnier than his disrespectful dance towards an NFL player who's already been punished and paid his dues for his crime.

20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

You didn't get the memo. Rayner misshit the ball trying to kick it too hard to make up for Johnsons gaff. There was no on-side kick there.