Revis: worst game since rookie year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Nov 27, 2011.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This was Revis's worst game since the last time he played Stevie Johnson. Johnson's quickness seems to give him trouble. That said he made Johnson earn everyone of those yards; nothing was easy.

2. dmb88886

dmb88886 New Member

Agree, this was one of Revis' worst game in a while.

Hey Legler, check your PM's.

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

This game was a credit to Stevie Johnson as well as Fitz's accuracy. As one of the commentators pointed out, Johnson was often putting multiple moves on Revis before Revis even had a chance to get a hand on him.

The one play that was kind of head-scratching though was the TD pass - Revis was playing so far back into the endzone that it didn't seem to take much effort for Johnson to get open - maybe he had just gotten in Revis' head at that point...

In any case, as others have said, it was one game. I don't think anyone is losing any respect for Revis Christ after one less-than-godly game - that would be ridiculous.

4. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

definitely the worst game i've seen revis play in a long time, i'm glad he got it out of the way in a victory.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'll agreee with that. Johnson made some very nice moves off the line that got him open on quick slants. It was a good game for Johnson and not Revis's best.

6. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

If this is what a Revis bad day looks like, then sign me up for 7 more years

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He kept everything in front of him for the most part. The TD pass was troubling, I'm not sure why Revis backed off at the last moment.

Johnson ran some really nice routes today.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

On the TD I think he was supposed to have inside help which is why he backed off right before the snap.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The inside help was lacking today. Harris should have batted down 2 passes today, if not picked them.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yep, Harris and not to mention Brodney Pool at the end.

I think the other defensive players know Revis is out there so they cheat the other way.. so when Revis actually does need that inside help, sometimes it is lacking.

11. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Fitz made a perfect pass on that play. Revis almost made a play on the ball regardless of how well it was thrown

I didnt think Revis was that bad, he kept everything in front of him. He was giving Stevie a lot of respect but the guy probably deserves it

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=01iENP_YhSk

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This was the worst that I can remember Revis ever playing, but you have to credit Stevie Johnson. He made those plays. He did a great job setting up his routes and remained patient.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He was awful, he has not been playing like himself since earlier in the year.

14. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

I was at the game yesterday. one thing that was noticeable to me, but may not have been noticeable to people watching on TV, was that their was signs of communication problems between revis and pool.

All game it seemed like they were trying to figure out how to work together, but just couldnt make it click. they were talking back and forth all game (WAY more than usual), and were getting a bit frustrated. It was as if they didn't know how to run bracket coverage (which is what i thought they were trying to do).

Also, the lack of physical play from revis yesterday was baffling. He has the speed to keep up with any receiver in the league, and we all know that to stop speed you have to hit the receiver at the line. why he wasn't doing this, especially since he is normally pretty physical, was baffling to me.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Stevie Johnson is the new school, what I call a scat receiver. His fakes are unorthodox, he doesn't run the type of fakes that you game plan against, and he works well with Fitzbastard.

Revis had a bad day against a guy who is coming up in this league, a guy who uses techniques that can be game planned against.

Don't get used to this. This fucker is marked, say goodbye to your happy thoughts, Stevie. The king of defense just bought your soul.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I'm ambivalent about the Revis performance yesterday. It definitely was not his best day, and probably his worst in a long time, but let's not overreact here, either. Many of the receptions on him were not for much in terms of either yardage or first downs. Johnson's TD was troubling, though. Revis backed off right before the snap, and that was not the right move.

But what is potentially more troubling is that Fitzpatrick and Johnson for at least some of those plays seemed to have found something to attack. And it was working better than we are used to seeing against Revis. Hm...

17. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

i am kinda glad Revis had a bad game. Few times this year he has mentioned he's falling asleep back there b/c they aren't throwing at him. hopefully this will give him the spark to play at even a higher level than he normally does. he'll be back better than ever next week against the skins

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Rex made a fool of himself after the game, saying Revis was fine.

19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I do not think Revis had a bad day. Many top flight receivers would have had a similar day given the types of patterns he was running and Fitzpatrick's accuracy yesterday. Plus, as a previous poster indicated, Johnson runs crazy variations off his routes. The passes he caught that weren't simple, almost indefensible slants or inside routes were situations where he broke off a route after Revis had him covered

If we had better pass coverage over the middle ( i.e., linebackers), then this wouldn't be an issue

That being said, Revis laid off him yesterday, leading me to believe that his main goal was to prevent Johnson from breaking one for a big gain, which was accomplished.
    Revis brought him down swiftly and surely on (almost) all of his catches

20. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Cromardie sometimes has awful days. Otis Smith had quite a few when we used to have the privilege of watching him play cornerback. Revis wasn't awful, he simply didn't shut Stevie down like he does plenty of other WRs.

I don't know how much I buy into this, he's been getting help, and not always sticking to 1 WR which skews the numbers if you just look at the WR's statline at the end of the game. Stevie Johnson got the better of him, but for the most part Revis has played well compared to any other CB in the league.

Here is the TD play:

[YOUTUBE]czvJoThRzlw[/YOUTUBE]

You can see Revis almost gets a play on the ball, and he was left totally alone with a lot of ground to cover.

#40 Organized Chaos, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011