Sanchez interception today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Nov 27, 2011.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

what an AWFUL play design and play call. GRANTED - it was a terrible throw/decision by sanchez. but after watching several replays, sanchez didnt have any other options.

- Play action fake - 4 guys staying in to block, with holmes as the ONLY receiver running a pattern.

- sanchez is standing in his OWN endzone, in the pocket and his ONLY wide receiver on the play, is well covered, over the middle.

- if he throws it away, its a safety for intentional grounding, if he takes a sack, its a safety.

i guess technically he could have scrambled, but not really a great idea in your own endzone. what the hell is the point of that call in that situation? sure maybe you fool them, and get out of the shadow of ur own endzone, but if its covered, you are basically in a catastrophic failure of a situation.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I'm sure it looked great in Schitty's computer when he drew that one up. The problem is the great majority of his offense doesn't translate too well to the football field.

Sanchez definitely made a bad throw and didn't read the safety playing underneath, but it was definitely a bullshit play and a stupid play call.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That play was horrendous. Play-action in your own endzone rarely works out and is too big of a risk, especially when you have ONE FUCKING ROUTE for the QB to use.

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

This is my exact problem with Schotty. He probably has a great football mind and can draw up these intricate plays but they don't translate to the gridiron. Maybe on a team like New Orleans or Green Bay will that kind of shit work, but the Jets aren't built to run that nonsense.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I didn't realize that only Holmes ran a route, that is retarded. I hope that someone else should have ran a route but missed an assignment because a one route play just boggles the mind.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

It's the OC's fault that the QB couldn't see that the DB jumped the slant? :lol:

He almost got one picked off on almost the exact same play a couple of series before.

Sorry, but that is on the QB!

You want to blame Shotty for something, blame him for not running Greene more.

7. The Mak

The Mak New Member

So Sanchez should have passed it to himself?

To Fireman Ed, maybe?

8. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

We do and we have. We're now looking for new scapegoats for new problems, please try and keep up.

9. jerseyjay14

lets assume sanchez DID see the DB jumping holmes route, and saw holmes was covered. WHAT DOES HE DO THEN????

- he is in his own endzone
    - no other reciever/back/te ran a route
    - he was in the pocket

any throw away is a safety, taking a sack is a safety, scrambling in that much traffic is a dsaster scenario

10. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I haven't had a chance to rewatch the game. I thought that the Jets left 8 in to block for Sanchez so that leaves 3 other players:

1. Sanchez
    2. Holmes
    3. ???

As soon as I can get a torrent I'll watch it again but even if it's two options it's still a horrible call for that field position.

JerseyJay said it already, but Sanchez had no space to get out of the pocket so it was either:

1. Incomplete
    2. INT
    3. Intentional grounding in the endzone if he threw it away, result = safety
    4. Take a sack in the endzone due to no running lanes being open, result = safety

It's troubling that Sanchez didn't see the defender that picked it off but that play was doomed to be a failure.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yep.. I actually think he can be a good coach somewhere down the line. Just not now. This team is built to run the ball, and do play action off that. Sanchez is not a typical drop back, pocket QB.. he's great when he gets in a rhythm and is able to roll out and move the pocket. So naturally we rarely get to see that.

With Schitty it's either something incredibly simple and predictable, or some kind of nonsensical intricate play that has like a 10% chance of working.. it's like he wants everyone to be like "Ohhhh what a play that was! He's a genius!" instead of just getting the job done and moving the ball.

12. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

bad play call obviously, but it doesnt mean sanchez didnt make a bad throw...he should have tucked it in and ran and realized it was a bad play

13. DanR

DanR Active Member

What exactly did the Jets do during that time off? do they practice and set strategies? do they fix mistakes made the prior week? Do they watch film?

Offensively, I noticed the run game improve and I noticed some o-line improvements. Also I saw a quick toss and a screen play, that's good. But theres still so much room for improvement that it feels like the coaching staff/team are not doing their homework. Seems like they're winging it.

14. jerseyjay14

run where? you have 9 offensive and 8 defnsive guys right at the LOS? you want ur qb scrambling in his own endzone in that much traffic?

15. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Backed up deep inside our own five, we should've run the ball three times. If we don't get the first, we punt. That is Jets football, but Schotty wants more so he dials up that stupid ass play. Why does Rex keep him around? That play call runs counter to everything Rex believes in as a football coach.

16. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

dude's sandbagging Mark for sure. I'll have more confidence if we just let Mark call his own plays.

17. The Mak

The Mak New Member

Channel 4 news just showed this play and I had to keep myself from screaming at my TV and waking people up. Fucking HORRIBLE design.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He's a Quarterback. He can eat the ball and dive for no gain if nobody's open. That throw was putrid. I agree the play design was bad as well, but that shouldn't take away from Sanchez's shitty throw. He's good for one of those a game it seems.

#18 Jake, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There were two men in the pattern. Holmes and Greene. Greene ran a wheel route along the right sidelines.

The call was fine. Sanchez only has success throwing the ball when his target is wide open or uncovered and when he is not pressured. Which is why he does better on play action and in the 2 minute drill. To sell the pay action the Jets needed to bring in their big packagae and have the LBS commit to the run. They also needed to protect Sanchez from increasing his league lead in fumbles. If they are going to let him pass at the goal line they need to make sure he will not be pressured. Hence the 8 man protection. Which worked great.

The problem was Sanchez misread the coverage. He could have hit Green on a fade pass down the sidelines. But Sanchez is not able to throw a touch pass unless its a practiced endzone fade. So I doubt he would have any success to Greene. His best option would have been to just throw the ball over Greene's head or throw it at Keller's (he was on the left side by himself with D'Brick waiting for someone to show up to block) feet. But he is a QB that makes poor decisions, evidenced by the 4 dropped INTs today by the Bills and like the first dropped INT he threw in the 1st QTR he tried to force the ball into the middle to a double teamed receiver.

Many peoples idea of a good or bad call is the end result of the play. If the play works they think its a great call and vice versa. If the Jets had run the ball and were stuffed they would say the Jets were to conservative. It's a rigged system. The call here was fine it was the decision making by Sanchez that was the problem.

#19 Noam, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Good post.