The Jets Running Game Isn't Average

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Darth Vader, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

It's Terrible. Stats:

YPG: 96.whatever - it doesn't matter. We are 26th out of 32 teams, meaning we are in the bottom fifth in yards gained by running the ball, on the average per game. But the more significant stat especially for a team that has trouble getting a first down and maintaining drives between the 20's [as opposed to the red zone where we perform better than average]:
    YPC: 3.6 - 29th out of 32 teams. which is bottom 8th in the league, meaning only THREE teams are worse than us. Of the 3 teams worse than us two have had major long term injuries to their starting RB: Cleveland's starting and backup RBs are both OUT [Hillis played in 4 games (the first 4) and Hardesty has been out the last 4 (he took two carries in the first of the four)].
    NYG's Bradshaw has been out in forever.

Threading these two metrics into the overall picture on offense, you can easily see a major dynamic in the general failure as an offense.
    Att/G: 26.9. There are only 11 teams that run the ball more than we do, putting us in the top 3rd of the league in Att/G. Does that mean we're riding a dead horse to the finish line, or what explains for it? Is it because we are always protecting a lead in the fourth quarter? You tell me. I think the playcalling tempo and strategic intuition for playcalling is just so bad on this team.

To round out some of the edges in the data, look at how the averages are formed - it is just consistent mediocrity, with a complete lack of big plays.
    Long: 25 yards. Tied for last in the league. We have not had a game-breaking 40 yard run this year. We haven't even had a nice scamper for 30 yards. Wait...we haven't even had a 26 yard run this year.

Other stats marking the form of the data are 40+ and 20+ carries.
    40+: 0. Given the above, this is not all too surprising. There are actually 11 teams that have no 40+ runs this year. And 4 actually have less 20+ than us:
    20+: 4. There are 4 teams worse than us here, again we are in the bottom 8th of the league. We are tied with two others.
    Putting this information together, we can see that because we have 4 carries over 20 and no carries over 25 yards, the four longest carries of the year are between 20-25 yards.
    Attempts: 269. Of the 269, exactly 4 have been between 20 and 25. The rest are hovering about the pathetic average - 3.6 - again, there are only three teams in the entire league worse than this.

Fumbles and TDs: 6 and 7. Again, to add dysfunction to inefficacy, there are only 7 teams turning the ball over more. And of the 7 rushing TDs, our QB has 3...

The data can go deeper. But to squash any note of uptrend, two of the last 3 games [after the bye] our ypc is significantly under our aggregate 3.6 - the one vs NE where it is likewise above was a blowout loss in which we never led and in large part, we were more than one score down:
    Buffalo: 3.2 ypc
    NE: 4.4 ypc
    Denver: 3.0 ypc

2. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to argue with you there, but I wouldn't blame our RBs (completely); fix our O-line, and we'll be a top running team again.

3. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Those are pretty tough to read. Our longest running play was Sanchez for 25 yards i believe.

#3 Nilton, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  4. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

The Jets went from a great run team to a shitty run team in a heart beat.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

those are some gruesome numbers. the only positive spin you can put on it is to say the run game is actually trending upwards after a dismal start. prior to his injury in the Broncos game, for five games Greene had been much more productive than he had been in the first four

we can't change what happened earlier in the season, but hopefully we'll continue to run the ball better in these final 6 games against a few dogshit run defenses. Buffalo, Phiily and the Giants are all awful, and Washington and KC are middle of the league. Miami is the only team we face in the top 10 (based on yards per attempt).

#5 truthbtold, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  6. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt count on schotty to take advantage of a teams bad run defense...

7. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Yikes...This team has really been making me depressed all season long. I still have faith they will make the playoffs.

8. Titans

Titans Member

Trent Richardson would cure our ills if you watch the running plays closely Greene either picks the wrong hole or goes down on first contact. We need a beast in the backfield he would take alot of pressure off Sanchez. I know alot of you will say we need a OLB or OT and we DO but that can be filled in rounds 2,3,4 plus FA. Having a solid run game keeps your defense off the field and fresh throughout the entire game.

9. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

We already have Mcknight and Powell so we are pretty full on rb. I wish we had gotten lynch when we had the chance tho.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

That makes me a sad panda

11. Titans

Titans Member

Richardson is a combo of both speed and power please dont compare McKnight and/or Powell to him they are not in his league.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Raiders of the past says hi.

13. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

it's gonna be ok in the end, we're in competition with the bengals, tennessee, denver etc. for tht 6th spot, i think the jets will now turn it up a couple of notches, they have to, take advantage of this schedule and make a nice run starting tomorrow against Buffalo.
    The run starts tomorrow.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Let's say the Jets get the running game going and actually manage to go 5-1 and squeak into the playoffs. Who exactly are they going to beat once they get there? New England? Baltimore? Pittsburgh? Oakland?

It's been years since a theoretically good Jets team has matched up as poorly against the teams they were likely to have to beat. Probably not since the 2006 version that looked like roadkill against the Patriots but would just as happily have rolled over and died in front of Indianapolis, Baltimore or San Diego,

This is just not a very good team right now and getting the running game going isn't going to solve what ails it although it might keep Sanchez alive for another season.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Any given Sunday. I'm pretty sure we had no chance and matched up poorly against New England and San Diego the past couple years

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We matched up great against San Diego in 2009. If Rivers didn't have a big game the Jets were going to win that one and they'd given up like 8 TD's in the air all season to that point.

The New England win basically came off of Shaun Ellis and Jerrico Cotchery's last hurrahs for the Jets. Kind of ironic given how torpid Ellis could be from game to game when he gave his best at the end (when he was playing for a contract...) Cotchery on the other hand was heart and soul material for this team and the offense has looked soulless this season in his absence.

17. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

It hurts when I pee.

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah I take that back about SD we matched up well against them. However you quantify last year's win against New England in the playoffs is irrelevant, the fact is we beat them even when it looked like we had no shot.

If the Jets qualify for the postseason then clearly at least one or two things that are wrong about this team will have been fixed and the playoffs are a crap shoot.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Stop with the facts and stats. We all know that it is all the QBs fault!! Sanchez just has not progressed!!! He is not a big time QB!! Any other QB would prosper without a running game, with no protection, horrible play calling, and with receivers who get no separation :rofl:

20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this is exactly why I'm laughing mightily at all the people jumping ship on Sanchez...it's really comical...

this is my main point which indicates the offensive line as the issue. it's really a simple thing...i know its easy to talk QB and such because its a flashier position but the reality is the offensive line is losing their battles...

if they turn it around so will the offense.