Jets Playoff Chances

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Nov 23, 2011.

?

Do the Jets Make the Playoffs?

1. Yes

199 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

215 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I want to see us win the next two in impressive fashion. Then, at the 3/4 pole at 7-5, I'll start to feel good about our chances.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd love to be wrong on this one but I voted no. Too many fundamental problems at this point on both offense and defense and I think 6-0 is extremely unlikely and 5-1 is a stretch. Jets will not make the playoffs at 9-7 and probably only 50/50 or so at 10-6.

3. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

I voted no as well. I think talent and schedule-wise we could, but in the last two years we've had too many breaks going for us. Regression to the mean will imply that it's not going to happen this time. Sure, if we do get to 8-5 (it looks likely but hard to say with this inconsistent Jets team) then my perspective might change. Until then, I stand by the "no"

4. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

This team won't die. They'll find a way to get in.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Even if we go 9-7 our chances are realistic.

The way it looks to me, we'd get in at 9-7 if the two losses were out of conference, and ...
    Tennesee loses @Buffalo and Jacksonville (who they lost to earlier in the season) and ... Cincinnati loses to Baltimore, Pittsburgh (very likely) and any one of their other four games.

Not great ... but certainly not out of the question either.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I just want wins, it doesn't ahve to be pretty but just win starting tomorrow. I think we are going to get on a little roll but it obviously must begin w/ a win tomorrow. Everyone jumped ship a year ago in dec and 2 years ago w/ the 5 of 6 losses, this looks very similar to me. This team always plays their best when they are up against a wall and just like last year we had the Pats loss hangover where we lost a low scoring game to a team we are much better than. Just win tomorrow and we'll be ok.

7. Jetnad

Jetnad Member

Voted no, but who cares, did you see what the Ravens did to the 49ers line?

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

They'll get in, but more because the other teams will fall apart than because the Jets dominate and force their way in. I don't see them running the table, that's for sure.

The competition is the Bills (they are toast), Titans (not a real threat), Denver/Oak/SD (Only 1 is going to get in), which leaves Jets vs Bengals for the last spot.

Here is Cincy's remaining schedule:

12- vs. Cleveland - likely a win
    13- @ Pittsburgh - Loss
    14- vs. Houston - this is a huge one. We badly need Houston to win. A toss up.
    15- @ St. Louis - Ugh.. most likely a win
    16- vs. Arizona - Sigh.. this sucks
    17- vs. Baltimore - Gotta figure Balt will be fighting for the division and will win this one.

So I have them at 3 wins, 2 losses, and 1 huge toss up vs. Houston that could determine everything.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I voted yed but that's mostly based on the past 2 years success. The problem is what I'm seeing is that the Jets weaknesses are outweighing the strenghts by a wide margin. Last year the Jets only tangible weaknesses were lack of pass rush and downfield TE coverage, neither of which ultimately killed the Jets. This year the Jets can't block for anybody whether its the RBs or the QB and that is far more damning because Sanchez with time and Sanchez w/o time are two completely different players.

10. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

Win all the remaining conference games and no worse then split the Eagles & Giants games. This will give them a 10-6 record, which I think will qualify them.

I don't think the Bengals or any of the various 5-5 teams will win out.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

If Vick continues to be hurt, and if the Giants need that game to make the playoffs that pretty much means well have an excellent chance of winning both games.

12. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

My heart says yes. My brain says no. I don't care about schedules or potential records. The way I've seen this team play all year is not the way a playoff team plays. I'm not sure I have been impressed by one game all year, and I have been disappointed by too many.

That said, it can be done and I hope they prove me wrong.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, they are bona fide. I think the Super Bowl is going to be Green Bay vs Baltimore. At least that is the pick I made when asked by a co-worker on Tuesday.

14. skeleton_frames

I'd say yes. I think they sneak in at 10-6. Like every year, the offence will stop being cute and the D will step up. I figure that the Jets even go to Houston in the WC and pull out the win by slowing down Foster enough.

Then the Jets go get pounded in Baltimore. Yay us.

15. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

16. RMorin

RMorin Member

This needs to stop on this board, I've heard this too many times this season. 10-6 is NOT 50/50. Certainly not historically and not this year either. You think the Bengals will go 5-1 in their last 6? Because that is the only feasible way that we go 10-6 and miss the playoffs unless one of our losses is against BUF,MIA, or KC as we hold the tie breaker against Cincy otherwise.

So according to you the Bengals going 5-1 is fifty-fifty? Are you taking bets?

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I long for a Jets Super bowl victory and I know there are guys on here that have been counting longer than me. Some of you guys got to witness one already and that feeling must be amazing. All I want is one and then after that one more.

This is not the team that will take us to title town. Not when you lose games you should win and games you have to win. There is no way we beat all redskins, giants, eagles, dolphins, bills and KC. I see 4-2 or 3-3 outside looking in. Tanny open to hire.

18. Green&White77

Green&White77 Member

i got a question.. i know it's way too early, but anyway...

let's assume the bengals & the jets go 10-6 and both of them are 7-5 within the conference, which is absolutely possible.. who would have the advantage regarding the tiebreaker?
    thanks!

19. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    Strength of victory.
    Strength of schedule.
    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best net points in conference games.
    Best net points in all games.
    Best net touchdowns in all games.
    Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs
    (Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    Strength of victory.
    Strength of schedule.
    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best net points in conference games.
    Best net points in all games.
    Best net touchdowns in all games.
    Coin toss
    When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
    In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
    To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.
    To determine home-field priority for Wild Card qualifiers, apply division tie-breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild Card tiebreakers (if teams are from different divisions).
    To determine the best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed, add a team's position in the two categories, and the lowest score wins. For example, if Team A is first in points scored and second in points allowed, its combined ranking is "3." If Team B is third in points scored and first in points allowed, its combined ranking is "4." Team A then wins the tiebreaker. If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely. For example, if Team A and Team

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Even if we did make the playoffs, by some crazy stretch of the imagination, do any of you honestly seeing us taking down a team like New Orleans or Green Bay and then winning it all? There's absolutely no way that would ever happen.

This team simply isn't good enough this year.