Von Miller fined for hit on Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Johnny English, Nov 25, 2011.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

shit i would rather they review and grade these guys on calls that they make for hitting guys and the flag was completely unwarranted.

was that even english? bah fuck it im too lazy to reread it.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's baloney...

Obviously there is a major difference between officiating youth football with a 3/4 man crew vs an NFL crew but if there is a guy in youth football who is assigned to only watch the QB then I'm sure there is one in the NFL therefore it's his job to watch the QB to make sure he doesn't get hit late.

3. felker

felker Active Member

That's nice, but it doesn't provide any kind of explanation as to why so many of these calls are missed.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

there was a play in the gb/detgame where they called p.i. and roughing the passer.in the replay i didn't see either.

5. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i think sanchez needs to be more respected in the league to get calls. afc champ vs. colts he took a beating on a big safety blitz that was sooooooooooooo late, afc champ vs steelers fumble was borderline close to the tuck rule.

ravens game was the tuck rule in my opinion, or atleast very close. he also took 2 other shots in the back by the crown of the helmet.

raiders game i believe he got fucked up as well.

and of course von miller spearing him in the back.

i'm not saying, if the jets got those calls they would of won those games, but i see no consistency in roughing the passer calls.

you see alot more consistency in holding/pass interference calls than roughing the passer.

von miller getting fined doesnt make me feel any better. i could careless about his money scenario.

two afc champ games he got somewhat screwed, and the sad part is he never let the team down. it was the defense.
    this team is great under rex, but a big issue i have is the defense choking in big spots. its happened multiple times.

6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

They should have fined Wayne Hunter. You would think Sancho banged his mom or something.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So the 'team' is Offense, Defense, Special Teams, and Officiating Crew, with the later having the biggest impact on the outcome.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Actually I think the explanation as to why they are being missed is simple. The officials suck, these are all old men and the game moves way too fast for them. It's not just the Jets, I remember Brady nearly having another serious knee injury against the Chargers this year. They put that rule in place specifically to protect the knees of a QB and they missed it.

I don't subscribe to this notion that Brady gets all the calls because I know he doesn't. I've seen enough of it to knwo that. Like I said I just think the officials suck.

9. felker

felker Active Member

Glad we agree that missed calls is a general issue with the league.

I wish I had a link to the spearing play where Sanchez was hit from behind by Ngata. What made it a foul was lowering the helmet just before the hit, and I could see it being easy to miss because it happened just prior to the hit.

As far as an official monitoring the QB, it is the job of the referee to both look for illegal hits on the QB and to look for illegal blocks in the area of QB. There isn't an official dedicated to just the QB.

NFL official competence IS an issue too. Some of those crews are pretty arbitrary and inconsistent. Better pay and requiring the officials be full time employees, along with consequences for bad performance are all needed.

10. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Everyone saying these are easy calls to make and obvious to everyone are people who watch it in a closeup and slow motion on tv. In real time from 15 yards away from an elite athlete running full speed, it is almost impossible to tell if a hit is shoulder or helmet, horsecollar tackles, facemasks etc. If the ref isn't right on top of it, or has a clear view with no one in the way, he often calls it off movement or sound. Hence why horsecollars get called on legit jersey grabs, and facemasks get missed if the runner has his head down already. Same for shoulder to chest hits, that look or sound like helmet to helmet but aren't. Even in the Jets game where that no name got called for a helmet to helmet on Plax when he really hit McCourty right on the point of his pads. Sounded like helmet to helmet so it got flagged.
    This is no different from people who complain about borderline baseball calls on 95 mile per hour fastballs. In real time it is a blur.

#30 Cellar-door, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  11. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

was this the play where he rolled into sanchez's legs? that play shit me to tears. i couldn't believe he got away with that. these guys know full-well when they're hitting someone's knees.

12. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i'd say that officiating in the nfl is about the worst in the world. maybe a touch better than the nhl. it's totally arbitrary in the nfl (not 'totally' but...). in the nhl it's worse because it'll be arbitrary and then they'll call the 'even up' penalty. it's to a point that any casual fan can essentially call who's going to get the next power play. the nfl is just plain random.
    and i don't believe there is bias, at least toward one team or another. it's just random.
    they usually get it right in baseball...though the calls are much less subjective.
    i won't even go into the nba. i have never understood how they call that game...but people seem to be ok with it.

13. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

It is DEFINITELY NOT the worst in the world, you're obviously not a soccer fan, if you were you'd knew how good is NFL officiating in comparison. In football you get one or two calls wrong per game as a full crew is available to decide. In soccer, there's only one guy, who sometimes is 30 or 40 yards away from the play when it happens. Football fans are actually spoiled.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm sick of seeing these guys get fined after refs missed blatant roughing calls that they never seem to miss when we are on D.

15. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Based on other fines they've handed out, Miller should have been fined for both late hits.

IIRC, he lowered his head on each hit well after the ball was gone.

That said, Miller reminds me of Derrick Thomas. Love the way he plays.