Who was worse: Schotty or Hackett?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 24, 2011.

?

Who was worse? Paul F'n Hackett or Brian Sch_tty

1. Brian Schottenheimer - worst Jet OC of all time no question.

59 vote(s)
    42.8%
  2. Brian Schottenheimer-Not as bad as PFH or Joe Walton

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Paul Fckn Hackett- Lived thru it, hated every second of it.

58 vote(s)
    42.0%
  4. Paul Hackett- Molded Joe Montana. Needed more talent on the Jets to do more with. Not his fault.

7 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I agree with this, but nobody is expecting this offense to go into next year without improving the OL among other things.

2. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Maybe next year, on 3rd down, the receiver will run routes past where he needs to go to get the first down. That alone would be a tremendous improvement over both Hackett and Shottenheimer.

3. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Short routes on 3rd downs are hot routes based on Sanchez and the O-line's belief that a blitz is coming. The goal being a quick throw, and the WR getting 1 or 2 yards after the catch since extra defenders came on the blitz. Almost every team does this.

4. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

:rofl:

[​IMG]

5. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

Incorrect.

6. SettlerDawg

The play that you posted above, was either audibled to or was not audibled out of because Sanchez anticipated blitz. The Patriots fooled him and dropped 8 guys. There is an article about it on espn somewhere.

edit - and please tell me how I'm incorrect

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That gif still makes me nauseous.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It should be the other way around. Hackett's offense, on average, scored at least FULL POINT more than Schottenheimer's offense. To me, that's saying Hackett's 3rd and 15 draw offense was better at closing the deal than 3rd and 8 curls route by Schottenheimer.

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Considering how long ago Hackett was fired, I think this poll is kinda biased. There's going to be plenty of fans frustrated w/ Schotty that didn't get to experience the whole Hackett era.

Should've been a 5th option. Something like, "Never saw Hackett but could he really be worst than Schotty?".

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Option 4 was the best I could do on this one. I actually thought Hackett would win this poll but judging by the numbers... I would imagine, as you said, a lot of the younger fans didn't get to experience the majesty of a Paul Hackett offense. There should be plenty footage out there on the Herm Edwards Era NYJ's to look at though.

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Schotty is a million times worse... it isnt even close.

While hackett was equally as frustrating, at least he had a clue what he was doing, legit game plans, and played to the strength of his teams and opponents weakness.

sure, ultra conservative, and loved the draw play... but at least those teams had direction, consistency, and could make adjustments.

schotty is just clueless, and terrible at every facet of his job. easily the worst OC in the league right now, if not jet history.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

That is a huge user name to have. When did he join up?

13. jerseyjay14

there not hot routes... and even if they are, its idiotic to combat a pass rush/blitz/poor protection by sending FIVE recievers out with NO extra blockers and have ALL FIVE of them run these "hot routes" short of the market.

also, a hook route is a terrible hot read in that situation, as your turning your body and momentum away from the yard marker, almost gauranteeing you wont pick up the neccessary YAC.

its not like we are talking 2 wideouts running double slants vs a 7 man rush here.

take a look at the play in the .gif image above.... its a fcking 3 man rush! and EVERY single guy runs well short of the sticks

14. jerseyjay14

That still doesnt make any sense, as that is a player you should NEVER run against a blitz, under any circumstance, ever... so either:

sanchez didnt audbile to it

or

he audibled to a play that should never be called vs. a blitz - which means shotty isnt coaching him well enough on situational football.

15. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

you used past tense, as if schotty was no longer the OC.

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i thought the same way you did cman. schottenheimer has his weaknesses but hackett was absolutely amazingly frustrating. in 5 years this may be an interesting topic to look back on.

its funny how this board has found one gif image that they think but dont really know proves their point and now i have to see the fucking thing in every single thread.

17. SettlerDawg

How does that not make any sense? I would understand if you don't like the design, but it makes sense what the play is trying to accomplish. If the Patriots send a blitz, they wouldn't have enough defenders to cover all 5 guys, thus leaving someone open. The routes are quick and short of the 1st down so that Sanchez can get it out fast.

18. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

That play is truly brilliant. 4 guys run short of the 1st, and the 5th guy barely crosses the marker. Just pathetic. And they each run the same route. That is pure genius - a once in a generation offensive mind at work.

As for the offense, yes Sanchez is not a franchise qb. But, he is still an NFL qb, and can make throws. Tone is a very good wr. Plax is still good (but has been badly misused by Schotty). Kerley has been decent. LT is still good at what he is asked to do. Greene is mediocre, but knowing that to keep starting him is on Rex and Schotty (they have 4 HB's for pete's sake). And even though I think Keller is the most over-rated player by people on here (the guy needs to go too), he can make catches if wide open...

19. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Where is the option for "They can both die in a fire."?

Hackett could not adjust to Vinny, but when Chad was healthy we always seemed to have a chance to win, even without a big time defense. It was boring and predictable, but a healthy Sanchez for his entire tenure would have produced more wins.

Schotty just can't seem to get out of his own way. While the defense is on the field he seems to struggle to come up with 3 plays to consistently get a 1st down. He also seems completely lost in the redzone.

I lived through Hackett and disliked him mightily, but Schotty makes me want to strangle puppies. So Schotty gets the nod.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So you send ALL your receivers on hot routes? Brilliant!

P.S. Usually those hot routes are designed to facilitate the receivers grab a few extra yards after catch, no? I've seen quick outs, slants and dig routes usually used as the hot routes, but I have NEVER seen hook routes on hot reads - the receiver usually is stopped cold after the catch, without any chance of grabbing any extra yard. So you are telling me that all 5 receivers are on hot route, that happens to be short hook route, right? Who installs this stupidity? Rex? Pettine?

#60 Zach, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011