Scary: Rex may be Buddy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Nov 24, 2011.

1. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I have been supportive of Rex since his hiring, I love his moxy and competitive nature, but
    I'm worried that he has too much of his dad in him, meaning; they seem to care more about how the defense preformed/ranked rather than using the talent they have.

Parcells & Belechicken are examples of coaches who were able to change/adapt to utilize whatever the personnal strengths of their teams were. I understood the "ground & pound" philosophy during Sanchez's rookie season & even last year, but FO has let this once "top 5" offensive line become mediocre, so our ground game is average and our QB is getting the shit beat out of him on the numerous 3rd & long situations we have every game. Not many QB's would succeed in this "don't screw it up system".

During the last 2-1/2 seasons, the Jets have played conservative for 3 quarters with the objective that the defense will WIN the game, when this doesn't work, Sanchez & offense are allowed to open it up (usually no-huddle) and have pulled out multiple come-back wins.

Yes, I will admit I am not fond of Shotty, but is he being hand-cuffed by the Head Coach?

If Rex really wanted to point fingers during the NE game, then blame his defense for letting Brady go 80yds in 1+ minute, the 17 seconds that the poorly called time-out probably wouldn't have mattered. The Pats still had a time-out that they didn't use.

Rex's hailed defense allowed one of the worst QB's in NFL history to go 95 yds to blow the Denver game...why because "we played not to lose"..Jets had the ball w/ 5 minutes left at mid-field, strategy- play conservative..punt and hold them...Rex could have gone for the win, but he won't let the offense play....

#1 rickjet, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

They just seem to have gone away from their strengths like you said. No running game,the defense is left on the filed way too long to do whats expected of them. If that is indeed the plan under rex(to let the D win games),it is not possible with turnovers,sacks and 3 and outs because of out shitty Oline.

3. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I looked at pictures and they are different people. The cliché that games are won and lost on the line is unfortunately true. The O line has been underperforming and it seems many of the problems stem from that- passing, running, scoring and even defense.

The offense isn't getting leads because of the line, and without the lead it's hard for the defense to dictate the games.

Injuries happen, and depth has been an issue. Not being able to train or make deals in the offseason didn't help matters. We are't doomed.

#3 James Calvin, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  4. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Its easy to say now that our O line was left to fall apart but the truth is no one expected them to play this poorly. Losing Rob Turner hurt and Wayne Hunter was seen as able to fill in and he just sucks. Mangold and Brick are probowlers but you can't have 2 people hold a line.

5. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

There's nothing wrong with the fundamental belief that strong defense and ground game is the core of a championship team.

Rex was ready to usher in a new era of an aerial spectacle until Mark, the line, and Schotty showed the offense clearly wasn't ready for it.

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Grasping at straws or looking for attention?

Do you know how much Buddy actually favored the D? There were reports that Buddy would actually have teams pay fines for defensive players & there were instances where bench players that knocked out qb got to start the next week.

Also, what's wrong w/ believing that defense wins games? Look @ this roster & how else do you expect to win games. Sanchez is not Peyton, Brady, Rodgers & he can't consistently air it out 30+ times a game & bring victories. The talent to open it up isn't there. Stop looking @ the WR & look at the OL.

#6 ajax, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  7. Jerricholic89

Jerricholic89 Member

You can't call Sanchez a product of a "don't screw it up" offense when at the beginning of the year we tried to air it out to become a "passing" offense but Mark proved he wasn't capable and thats why we are where we are.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

If you did not hear Steve Young on ESPN Mike & Mike show the other day he said Rex is sucking all the oxygen out of O because he is so D oriented. :sad:

9. rickjet

Heard the interview, one of the reasons I started this thread, also read somewhere that
    Sanchez/Jets are in the top 5 during the last 2 yrs in come-from-behind victories, I love the thought of having a dominant defense, but the defense has slipped also,

...the mind-games he is playing with Sanchez are silly, if the O-line can pick up their performance, then the offense will be fine, all QB's, even HOF Brady or Manning have demonstrated that without the protection, they are ineffective..

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Who knows MS may need that xtra millimeter of a second to process info so unless he get him a really dominating OL he may never be as effective as he was his 1st 2 years. BTW next season would be year 4 (time for reupping) since his contract expires after the 2013 season so the question is do we reup him or continue the search for our next franschise QB :jets:

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

When did this happen? I watch every game and I don't recall this at all. I remember a loss against Oakland when the offense staked the defense to a 10 point lead and then the defense gave up a ton of big plays to the Raiders to lose the game. I remember a game against the Ravens when the OL almost got the QB killed and the game plan, with Mangold out, should have to play close to the vest and play a close defensive game. Instead the CS had Sanchez in empty backfields under tremendous pressure that no QB could endure. I remember a defense that could not get off the field at the end of the Pats game in game 5 when one more possession could have tied the game. So when when did Sanchez, on a team with a bad OL and no running game, prove he could not handle the job?

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Yes, losing the Denver game was clearly the defenses fault, even though our offense did NOTHING that game.

Blaming the defense for our woes is a ridiculous excuse letting the offense off the hook for being plain terrible.

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Well people have been saying it for a while that Rex still thinks he's the defensive coordinator rather than head coach.

14. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Rex's greatest fault is that he doesn't seem to get that he's not a defensive coordinator any more. He's way too loyal to Schotty, and he doesn't seem to stick his nose in the offensive gameplan.

Parcells was never an offensive coach, but when the team stalled on offense, he never hesitated to take playcalling responsibilities away.

Rex engenders the same kind of loyalty from his guys, but he doesn't seem too willing to use it.

-X-

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

13-10 lead with 6 minutes left against a college QB who completes 3 passes a game and the defense lets him drive 95 yards to win the game and the defense is not to blame???? What world do you live in????

16. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Steve Young is a tool. Rex Ryan is making the best out of a mediocre team that has a lot of holes. As others stated Rex was ready to make the game more aerial but the right guys just didn't step up. Also as others stated, were are losing games on the line, both sides of the ball.

17. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

If the offense had put forth a decent effort that would have been a garbage time TD and nothing more. But the D did fold at the worst possible time - no question.
    Obviously that's not a question any of us have the answer to now.

18. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

^ this

Before anyone points fingers at the defense just take a second to imagine what this team would be like without the defense. Our offense generated only 6 points of sepraration between us and the Broncos, I do not care if we have the 85 bears defense out there, we will lose 99% of the time if our offense can only generate 6 points of separation between us and the other team. scoring 13 and handing the other team 7 will win nothing in this league.

19. rickjet

Not sure if the conservative/predictable offense is due to a lousy OC or the HC "taking the oxygen out of the offense" or both?

20. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Yea, the offense sucked that game. But isn't Big Mouth Rex's whole deal that he wants to be in a position where Rex Ryan's Vaunted Defense (pat. pend.) can win the game? How's about once they make a big stop in crunch time? The defense didn't show up for the AFCCG last year till the second half, couldn't stop a crappy Patriots running game in Foxboro, let the Oakland Raiders embarrass them, let Brady again drive up and down the field at Metlife, and let a high school QB drive 95 yards with the game on the line. Yea, the offense has been bad, no question, but how about Rex Ryan's Vaunted Defense (pat. pend.) makes a couple of big stops with the game on the line before we make them martyrs, ok?