2011 Week 12 Buffalo Bills vs. New York Jets discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Nov 22, 2011.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That's been a point of contention regarding the offense this whole season. I can take the passing game only producing short throws if the talent wasn't there to get open deep and that was all that was available.

However, the plays we're running are mostly short or intermediate routes with very few deep runs which is just mind-boggling and bullshit. Even after two years in jail you can't convince me that there isn't a way to get a 6'4" WR open on a deep route, and Holmes is one of the more talented WRs in the game.

Sanchez is getting hit a lot but there have been a few plays so far this season where the line held and Sanchez is left going from read to read to read to read in his progression because no one is open due to every WR being within 6 yards of each other.

If the offense would just send one WR more than 10 yards down the field, even if they were never intended to be thrown to, it would at least open up more intermediate throws.

2. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

We need to lay down a "Patriot-esque" beat down on these guys - Meaning never letting up until the last second ticks off the clock. Watching the Pats game last night, I couldn't help to envy BB's willingness to just rub it in the face of KC, going for it on a 4th and goal to put them up some 30 points.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We don't have a deep threat receiver. Holmes is clearly not one, and Burress really hasn't ever been one. That's where the losing of Braylon hurts.

4. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Jets 27 Bills 10

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

^ That.

With a caveat. The passing game is better suited to up tempo 3+ WR's than trying to pass out of the f*ng I formation.

It would also help to run the Trap.

I mean how many times can you see 9+ in the box, and continue to run 1st down plays from the I ?!?!?!

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Right now we cant go deep, because they cant keep Sanchez clean for more than 3 seconds.

Right now the problem is with some of the bizarre route combinations or (possibly) mistakes being made in running them.

If they would throw out the f*ng I formation and ESTABLISH some continuity in producing 4-7 yards at a time, the Defensive fronts would have to back off a bit, and we could take shots down the field.

But we spend so much time compensating for negative yardage first down plays from bad formations, it's not possible.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yep.

If Plaxico has single coverage down the field, you can throw the ball up there and have him jump and make a play using his size. But Braylon was a much better deep threat, as he was tall AND he was fast enough to get open deep.

8. CatoTheElder

I realize we don't have a legit deep threat on the team right now but completely abandoning it is what is hurting us the most right now. At least send someone deep to try and draw coverage away from the underneath routes.

Holmes and Burress have enough talent to at least play decoy. Once or twice a game it might be able to make the difference instead of allowing opposing defenses to completely ignore the potential for a deep ball.

9. CatoTheElder

Running out of single-back hasn't been much more productive. Frankly, it's the two-TE sets that are pissing me off the most. Hopefully that will subside if Kerley comes back for this game. I don't think I can say how much I hate Matt Mulligan's total minutes on the field.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

sending keller deep down the middle would accomplish the same thing.
    he could pull a lb with him clearing out for the short stuff schotty likes so much

11. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Agreed. Plus it's not giving Conner the best chance to develop if we stick to the single-back set. Mulligan really better not be back on this team next year!

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I like how for both Bills games we get extra time to prepare. Heres to hoping for a repeat but after losing to Tim Tebow nothing will surprise me.

13. CatoTheElder

He's a good ST player, just a terrible TE. I don't mind him being back for Westy's system, just never make it back onto the field for offense.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yep, though to be fair, fullback is a dying position in the NFL, and Connor is pretty one-dimensional. Drafting a fullback in the 5th round was a questionable decision, especially for as much as we use Mulligan.

Mulligan is the primary reason why I want another tight end brought in. If we replaced Mulligan with someone good, especially if they can be better than Hartsock, that would be a HUGE help for this team next season.

I don't know what Shawn Nelson can bring, but I'm curious to see what he can do when he's healthy.

15. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

And he got cut. :shit:

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

You're right about that. We should be at least threatening the secondary deep.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Which is funny, becasue both of them regularly ran deep routes when in Pittsburgh. Its not that they can't, its the shotty is not calling them. I'm not sure i its a lack of faith in our O-lines blocking, or Sanchez, but both of those guys are capable of running a deep route and getting open.

18. 3xNFLChampion

3xNFLChampion Banned

+1 Refreshing honesty. I bet alot of BB's critics secretly feel the same way.
    :buffaloblows:

19. avrus

avrus New Member

This says it all. This is exactly what the team needs to get them fired up for the remaining games this season.

We need put up 40+ points and just go nuts.

My prediction is 24-10.

#39 avrus, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  20. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

buffalobills Buffalo Bills
    Chan Gailey says Fred Jackson will be out this week. We will reevaluate his status after this week.
    9 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

That helps.