The Offense Has Regressed, Mark Sanchez Has Not.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Organized Chaos, Nov 19, 2011.

1. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Clearly he, amongst others, are hurting the team . His decisions have been terrible, and he has regressed in that he was making better choices last year in the same situations.

2. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I would say that it's clear Sanchez has not regressed, although I wonder sometimes how much he's grown. The season's not over yet, despite everyone believing the contrary.

The Jets made a big mistake, in my mind, going into a strike shortened season with a brand new offensive tackle and a receiver group that was a bad combination of age and inexperience. I've also believed that they could use a more traditional tight end to play opposite/spell Keller, but they've opted to go with a guy who wouldn't play on any other team in Mulligan.

It's hard to really fault Sanchez, because the rest of the team is so bad. The run game sucks, the o-line sucks, and the receivers are not adept at getting open outside of Holmes. It's clear that he's not Tom Brady; He seems to be very mad at making a second and third read, and he doesn't see the whole field. Having said that, the offensive coordinator still sucks, and hasn't made his life any easier. It's definitely too early to tell if he's going to be a franchise quarterback, but he definitely isn't working with a set of tools comparable to the rest of the division's signal callers.

-X-

3. releasesanchez

releasesanchez New Member

Qb is the most important position on your team, you can get away with a incompetent at every position on your team besides quarterback. While our offensive line is not great its still not as bad as the Bears and they are 6-3 this season because Cutler is 5x the quarterback Sanchez is. Bottom line is Sanchez was 95% responsible for the loss against Denver we were up 10-3 and driving and the moron throws a pick 6 for a 14 point swing. That also swung our season we would have been 6-4 instead of 5-5 and now Denver has a tie breaker against us. If we finish 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the playoffs by 1 game we will be looking back at this game and how Sanchez blew it. Last 3 games he has been terrible. You can say bad strech but its not the 1st time he had a bad stretch. How much more chances can this kid get?

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

We get it, you hate Sanchez. :rolleyes:

5. releasesanchez

releasesanchez New Member

Yup and game by game I hate him more and more, can anyone besides the Sanchez groupies honestly say through 41 games he was a good #5 draft pick and is earning the big contract or can anyone say he has a good chance of being a top 10 quarterback in the league after seeing him play the last 3 games? Why shouldn't people criticize him and he get a pass when he is playing like crap and losing games for us?

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i'm not ready to throw Sanchez under the bus, until i see what he can do in a new offensive system (new OC).

Schotty has a history of preventing QBs from reaching their full potential

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong here...But in his tender career, Sanchez has shown flashes of brilliance...

As another thread pointed out, he's still YEARS behind other Pro QB's when measured by number of snaps (1600).

And..Saddled with this OC.

As this debate has heated up, I've spent more time watching other games/teams than I've spent in several years, and bottom line, Closing in on 60%, and 2 to 1 TD to pick ratio this year, given this OL. is Phenomenal.

Get a real OC, and a RT... And he'll be a special player.

For the last two weeks the NFL media has been blowing Eli as an 'Elite QB' ...How did he look last night?

8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Excellent comments.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

How quickly people forget. Just a few months ago, still in the off season, the talk here was about how we could reasonably expect Sanchez to show a third year Qb's kind of improved feel for the game and better play. What can we see of that now?

There's been a marginal increase in percentage completions, due mostly to playcalling for higher percentage passes. Meanwhile he's given away five fumbles, still makes rookie mistakes in decisions, throws stupid interceptions and looks scared in the pocket.

Whether and to what extent he's regressed is splitting hairs. He has not improved as we had reason to expect.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While mark has not made a huge stride forward, he has not taken a step back. What has is our running game and our pass protection. Sanchez is actually mcuh, much better in the red zone this season, now if only we could get there more often.

As a very inexperinced rookie QB he was proped up by a very good O-line and runnign game. Now as a third year starter he is actually producing better with a shit running game and vastly inferior pass protection. No he's not Manning or Brady, but he still looks to be on the upswing despite his mental lapses that have cost us big time.

11. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

An interesting stat for those pointing to completion percentage as evidence that Sanchez is taking a step forward.
    In 2010 Sanchez was 29th in Comp%
    This year.... 29th again.
    Comp% is up league wide.

12. jack handy

jack handy Member

The problem is that he is just not going to be more than a top 20 qb - ever. There will be flashes but they should not be confused with growth.

Excuses -- he is young (3rd year so - no), limited starts in college (guess that trading up was a really stupid), conservative play calling (he does not make what was called work), bad recievers (Santonio is a top talent), recievers do not try hard enough (dog ate my homework excuse0

13. jack handy

jack handy Member

tender years? Really?

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's where I think reasonable people diverge on Sanchez at this point. It's very reasonable to look at some of his throws and conclude that his decision-making has taken a downwards trajectory this season.

That perspective exists in a vacuum though in my opinion. I believe that we can't compare last season and this season directly for any number of reasons that have been well described on this board.

First of all, the Jets had a 30 day off-season instead of 180 days. That's a huge difference in terms of preparation time. Two of Mark Sanchez primary receivers got a grand total of 30 days or less to work with him before the season began.

Secondly, the offensive line, which was already thin, took a major hit when Rob Turner was placed on IR before the season. It took a real hit when Vlad Ducasse, already struggling, lost most of the off-season to prep for what would be an extremely important role this season as the backup at both guards and RT.

Third, the Jets made a really poorly considered decision to open up the offense and go with a pass-first attack. This despite the fact that the receivers were mostly new and the Jets had real questions on the offensive line for the first time in several seasons.

I think any chance to make straight-line comparisons between 2010 and 2011 for Mark Sanchez went right out the window when all of the above occurred. I think when Nick Mangold got hurt and missed a couple of games the scenario was further skewed towards Sanchez having a disappointing season.

Finally, I think fan expectations were completely out of line in terms of what people thought Sanchez might do this year. If you look at third year QB's who started as rookies the vast majority only found themselves in the second half of the third season. Most struggled at the start as their teams unrealistically put too much of a burden on them to carry the offense.

People here are looking at Peyton Manning's third season and Aaron Rodger's third season and Tom Brady's third season and using that as the comparison for what Sanchez should be doing. Of that group only Peyton Manning actually qualifies as a comparison for Sanchez and nobody in their right mind has ever thought that Sanchez was the second coming of Peyton Manning.

After the season began I think people began to look at Eli Manning in his eighth season with the Giants and ask why Sanchez wasn't as good as Manning was now. The appropriate comparison of course was to Manning in his third season, which Sanchez handily beats at this point but people don't want the performance of Manning in his third season. they want Sanchez to be just as good right now as Eli Manning is, even if that's a completely unrealistic expectation.

Given all that transpired in the off-season and what has happened in season so far I'm thrilled with where Sanchez and the Jets are right now. We went 4-12 (2007) the last time the front office whiffed on a lineman and tried to plug in a bad player on the line. We went 4-12 (2005) the last time general depth on the line was a problem and we lost good players to injuries.

In Richard Todd's third season as chaos enveloped the offense and he was being unfavorably compared to Joe Namath (see Mark Sanchez vs Aaron Rodgers) we got his backup starting most of the games that season, a guy who would go on to start all of 8 more games in his career. The Todd era in NY never really recovered from that, although Todd played pretty well once the chaos subsided and he got some good weapons to work with.

We got lucky this year. Greg McElroy got IR'd in camp and so the Jets were unable to make the same kind of terrible decision when Sanchez didn't live up to everybody's wildly unrealistic expectations.

#74 Br4d, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  15. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

How is he suppose to improve if the playcalling sucks, he has no deep threat, his line resembles swiss-cheese, and his receivers have not been good at getting separation?

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not a thing i can add to this, you hit the bullseye. Great post.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I thought the improvement of Sanchez would make up for the ineptness of tanny not bringing back the receivers Sanchez is comfortable with.

18. jack handy

jack handy Member

21 QBs who is Sanchez better then?

Patriots - Brady
    Bills - Fitzpatrick
    Steelers - Ben
    Ravens - Flacco
    Chiefs - Cassel
    Chargers - Rivers
    Titans - Hasselbeck
    Texans - Schaub
    49ers - Smith
    Rams - Bradford
    Cardinals Kolb
    Giants - Manning
    cowboys - Romo
    Eagles - Vick
    Falcons - Ryan
    Panthers - Newton
    Bucs - Freeman
    Saints - Brees
    Packers - Rodgers
    Lions - Stafford
    Bears - Cutler

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

By cutting down on the mistakes and poor fundamentals that are of his own making?

And fyi the playcalling is tailored to his limitations. Unless you want to believe Ryan thinks that Schotty is purposely calling plays that hold Sanchez back, and Ryan is fine with that, in which case Ryan should probably be fired in mid season.

I mean where does this nonsense come from that the Jets' CS should get an F for calling plays that hold Sanchez back, but Ryan gets a free pass on that?

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I've bolded the one's you are wrong about and there are a couple more that I could have.